Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Tuesday, June 13th

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Dana Eveland at home vs. Omaha (Royals), 6:40 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: RHP Corey Thurman at home vs. West Tenn (Cubs), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

Brevard County: LHP Steve Hammond and RHP Mark Rogers in a doubleheader at home vs. Vero Beach (Dodgers), 5:00 PM

Audio link (opponent's) -- games will also archive at this link:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

West Virginia: LHP Rafael Lluberes at home vs. Hagerstown (Mets), 5:55 PM pre-game, 6:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.sportsjuice.com/provi...e=wvpower.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Tuesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Activate the Nashville Gameday. For the other links, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often. It's sweet!

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_hunaax_1

Brevard County Game One:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_1

Brevard County Game Two:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_2

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_wvaafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated an hour or two prior to gametime:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Following Nashville's lead, Huntsville now makes its media notes available as well, nice:

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Monday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Nashville 35 29 .547 - 22-11 13-18 W2[/b] Iowa 27 36 .429 7.5 14-16 13-20 L2 Omaha 25 39 .391 10.0 16-19 9-20 L5 Memphis 23 40 .365 11.5 11-18 12-22 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chattanooga 40 25 .615 - 24-11 16-14 L1 West Tenn 38 26 .594 1.5 18-17 20-9 W2 Tennessee 31 34 .477 9.0 18-12 13-22 L1 Carolina 30 35 .462 10.0 19-16 11-19 L1 [b]Huntsville 23 40 .365 16.0 9-19 14-21 L7[/b] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- St. Lucie 38 26 .594 - 20-14 18-12 L2 [b]Brevard County 34 27 .557 2.5 18-13 16-14 W1[/b] Palm Beach 34 30 .531 4.0 19-14 15-16 W5 Daytona 31 32 .492 6.5 19-11 12-21 W1 Jupiter 28 34 .452 9.0 13-17 15-17 L1 Vero Beach 23 40 .365 14.5 13-17 10-23 L5 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lexington 40 23 .635 - 24-12 16-11 W4 Delmarva 35 27 .565 4.5 18-15 17-12 L3 [b]West Virginia 35 28 .556 5.0 18-12 17-16 W1[/b] Lakewood 33 30 .524 7.0 18-13 15-17 W2 Greensboro 33 31 .516 7.5 21-11 12-20 W1 Hickory 30 33 .476 10.0 16-14 14-19 W1 Lake County 27 37 .422 13.5 13-20 14-17 L2 Hagerstown 25 39 .391 15.5 13-14 12-25 L1

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Keep in mind that Brevard County needs to be within three games of St. Lucie as of the end of Thursday's action. The two teams wrap up the first-half season with three games against each other (the first two in St. Lucie, the final meeting at Brevard) coming out of this weekend's All-Star Break.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.al.com/sports/huntsvi...amp;coll=1

Realignment of Stars' roster expected soon

Single-A standouts may get promoted to Huntsville

By MARK McCARTER

Huntsville Times Sports Staff, markcolumn@aol.com

After a dismal first half in which the Huntsville Stars have endured a 13-game losing streak, a roster shakeup is likely during the 10-game homestand that opens tonight.

The Stars will close out the half with six games against West Tenn, which is battling Chattanooga for the Southern League North title, starting with tonight's 7:05 game. Wednesday will be a 12:05 start and Thursday is a 6:05 doubleheader, with resumption of a game suspended June 1.

The second half begins June 18 - the day after six Brevard County Manatees, Milwaukee's Single-A affiliate, will play in the Florida State League All-Star Game.

After that, "we'll assess things," said Gord Ash, the Brewers' assistant general manager. "But it's a strong possibility a couple of players could move up. We obviously know the Huntsville club could use a boost, and there are some players (at Brevard) who could benefit from an increased level of competition."

Asked which players might be promoted, Ash declined to mention names.

"I hate to do that. As soon as you do, something's going to go wrong. You can look at the stats and draw your own conclusion,'' he said.

First on the list would have to be pitcher Yovani Gallardo, who pitched 8 1/3 innings of perfect baseball on Friday. Milwaukee manager Ned Yost said he was highly impressed with Gallardo, who had just turned 20 when the Brewers used him in a spring training game against the Japanese national team. "Mike (Maddux, pitching coach) is already on me about him," Yost said.

Third baseman Ryan Braun, Milwaukee's 2005 No. 1 pick out of the University of Miami, is another possibility. He has been hovering around the .300 mark and is considered one of the Brewers' top prospects.

Outfielder Brendan Katin has some power, something drastically missing from the Stars' lineup. Two infielders, second baseman Hernan Iribarren and utility man Steven Sollman, brother of ex-Star Scott Sollman, were also named to the all-star team.

However, it's worth at least a caution light to note that several members of this offensively challenged Huntsville team posted gaudy numbers in the Florida State League in 2005.

"The jump from A-ball to Double-A is a significant jump," said Ash. "It's probably the most difficult jump in all of baseball, even including from the minor leagues to the big leagues. It's certainly the separator.''

Promotions or not, Ash still expects Huntsville to be more competitive in the last half.

"I think you'll see some internal improvement just by the fact there is some experience," he said. "We knew that club was going to struggle going in. It is our weakest club. But we didn't think we were going to struggle that much offensively. We thought the pitching might be spotty, but it's not been bad. We just haven't hit the ball at all.

"I know, offensively, the league is down significantly and ours is obviously last by a large margin (Huntsville has a league-worst .228 average and its 24 home runs are the fewest among the 30 Double-A teams). "That's not something we forecast."

06/12/06 - Tropical Storm Alberto continued to damper Florida State League spirits by raining out Tuesday's doubleheader between the Vero Beach Dodgers and Brevard County Manatees. The games will not be made up as the two teams do not play each other again in the 1st Half.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nashville getting No No'd through four. (it's OK to jinx the other team, right?)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Backup catcher Nestor Corredor with a leadoff walkoff home run in the 9th as the Power win, 4-3, to please the home folks once again.

It's a darn shame the first half will end about one week too early for the boys to take the division.

Angel Salome off again this evening.

Details in a bit as reliever Patrick Ryan may be the team's most obscure but deserving MVP candidate.

Krynzel with a hit and a walk today. He's not doing bad. Gwynn's racking up a very high average, but Krynzel's flashing the glove and showing a fair bit of speed.

Krynzel's got great D in CF, and his bat's looked solid this year. Gwynn's showing great on-base skills and speed, but not as much power as Krynzel.

The Brewers ought to try to keep both around. After 2007, an outfield of Gwynn in left, Krynzel in center, and Corey Hart in right is very possible, I think. The Brewers could do far worse than have a guy who draws 21 walks in 137 ABs and who can steal a lot fo bases batting eighth.

After 2007, an outfield of Gwynn in left, Krynzel in center, and Corey Hart in right is very possible, I think

Gwynn would probably be the most pathetic offensive corner OF in recent MLB history, so that's probably not a good idea.

It's either Krynzel or Gwynn in the OF, not both. Cruz will have to factor in somewhere.

Quote:
Gwynn would probably be the most pathetic offensive corner OF in recent MLB history, so that's probably not a good idea.

- ahem -

Scott Podsednik, 2005 World Champions.*

*This is not advocacy for a Gwynn-Krynzel-Hart ticket in '08

Quote:
It's either Krynzel or Gwynn in the OF, not both. Cruz will have to factor in somewhere.

Yep, you have to believe one of them will be traded in the very near future. Too many outfield prospects in our system right now.

Scott Podsednik, 2005 World Champions.*

I know this was in jest, but how much worse would the Brewers be with a Podsednik-Clark-Jenkins outfield?

Gwynn would be an atrocious LF at the plate. One could make the case for Krynzel in LF, but even his production at the high end right now wouldn't be enough to warrant his moving there. If Lee and Jenks are traded and no one else is signed, the optimal OF right now would be Hart-Clark/Krynzel/Gwynn-Cruz

Just got in from the Sounds game, even though it ended in a loss, still had a good time. A few observations. Krynzel played left with Gwynn in center, Gwynn was to say the least unimpressive, maybe he had an off night but he certainly does not remind me of his father. Krynzel was caught stealing at second and it was not even close. Watching the play unfold, my first thought was reading everyone's post after one of Brady's basepath escapades. Even though Dave went 1 for 3 with a K, walk, a nice single, and an absolute laser that was hit right at the Royals LF. I came away with the impression that Krynzel is a much better prospect than Gwynn. Was impressed with Rottino, appeared to have a good strong arm at third and patient at the plate. Although Barnwell and Abernathy were shut out I will give them both a mulligan for tonight. I thought Koonce looked awful at the plate, Sounds need a first baseman bad. Brad Nelson, opportunity is knocking, will you please answer it!

Tempo of the game seemed to change when Sorensen replaced Clark at second. Say what you will, I like Sorenson. Coming to the game tonight I was expecting to see a dominating performance from Eveland. I walked away with more concerns than ever. Although his line looks OK he seemed to struggle at times. 1st inning he K'd the side only to get nickled and dimed to death in the 2nd and simply put the Royals lineup was not very awe inspiring. Very strange, hard to put a finger on what's up with Dana. Comments withheld on Chavez and Fernandez.

Finally, to Nelson Cruz, although he was quiet tonight he appears to be the real deal. The ball just seems to explode of his bat.

After the game, they let the kids run the bases, so I took my 7 year old out to run and after we finished I took him over to show him the dugout only to see Cruz signing autographs. As he was signing a ball, I asked him was he ready for Milwaukee, he smiled slyly and nodded yes. I wonder where everyone else was since Cruz was there alone doing autographs.

One closing item, took my child to the bathroom in the 5th inning, on the way back someone yelled heads up so I covered Alex and a girl in her mid twenties about 5 feet away took a foul off the top of her head. She seemed OK and was treated by medical staff, but what a thud and yes she was a blonde. Good night all!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Virginia 4, Hagerstown (Mets) 3

West Virginia Site Game Summary:

CORREDOR WALKS OFF IN POWER WIN

Nestor Corredor had only seven home runs in his five year minor league baseball career and he had not homered since the 2004 season. On Tuesday night at Appalachian Power Park, Corredor hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to push the Power over the Hagerstown Suns 4-3.

Hagerstown scored their runs on a pair of home runs from Joe Holden. Holden?s first home run was a solo shot in the first inning and his second was a two-run blast in the fifth to put Hagerstown up 3-0. Holden has four home runs at Appalachian Power Park in four games.

The Power came back and tied the game in the bottom of the seventh inning. Nate Yoho provided a pinch-hit two-run single and Ryan Crew scored the tying run on Darren Ford?s single. Corredor led off in the bottom of the ninth inning, and hit his first homer un of the year as the Power won in their final at-bat for the second night in a row. Corredor?s walk-off home run was the sixth walk-off homer in Appalachian Power Park history and it marked the fifth time that the Power have won in their final at-bat this season.

Patrick Ryan (3-1) earned the victory providing three scoreless innings of relief, and Grady Hinchman (1-2) obtained the loss. The Power are 36-28 after the win and the Suns fell to 25-39 with the loss. Attendance for the game was 4,464.

The Power will continue the four-game series against the Suns in Hagerstown, Maryland on Wednesday night. Hagerstown will start right hander Jeff Landing (2-9, 4.64) and the Power will counter with left hander Derek Miller (6-1, 3.90). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM (6:05 Central).

West Virginia Box Score:

Another nice effort by LHP Rafael Lluberes; Nate Yoho clutch off the bench for the scond night in a row; Darren Ford on base three times -- his season is moving from "solid" to "sparkling"; Lorenzo Cain and Mat Gamel's averages dipping a bit...

West Virginia Game Log:

The three-run Power 7th should have been more, but the Suns' new reliever worked out of a bases-loaded, no out situation...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.wvgazette.com/section...2006061340

Power wins again in ninth, 4-3

By Jim Workman

For The Charleston Gazette

The best way to describe the West Virginia Power of late? Clutch.

Pinch-hitter Nestor Corredor nailed a game-winning solo home run to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning Tuesday to lift the Power over Hagerstown 4-3 in a South Atlantic League game at Appalachian Power Park.

Before a Two For Tuesday crowd of 4,464, the Power finished a two-game sweep with ninth-inning heroics each night.

?It was an exciting ballgame,? Power manager Mike Guerrero said. ?I?m glad it finished this way. It?s fun when you have the clutch at-bats. Early in the game, we left a lot of men on base.?

There wasn?t much thought of the game going extra innings as the Power came up in the ninth.

?[Corredor] was swinging for the fences,? Guerrero said. ?It was a good pitch. He swung through it and made good solid contact.?

As has been the norm, the Power had to work itself out of an early deficit. Joe Holden smacked a solo home run for the Suns in the top of the third to make it 1-0. He struck again in the fifth with a two-run shot.

?He likes this ballpark,? Guerrero said of the Suns leadoff hitter. ?He saw a couple of good pitches. You have to give him credit.?

The Power bats came to life in the seventh. Nate Yoho singled in two runs, and Darren Ford smashed a bases-loaded grounder to second that was too hot for the Suns infielder to handle, allowing another run to score to tie it at 3. That was it, as the Power stranded three runners.

It marked the second night in a row that Yoho delivered a late-inning clutch RBI hit.

Even though the first half is coming to a close, Guerrero does not anticipate much movement with his roster.

?I don?t think it will change much,? he said. ?Our organization looks to have a good season in one place. It?s good for the players to have a full season in one place. You don?t have to start over again. But if someone moves up, we?ll be happy for them.?

POWER POINTS: Pitcher Robbie Wooley was placed on the disabled list Monday for the second time this season. Right-hander Josh Louis was called up from extended spring training to take Wooley?s roster spot. Wooley posted a 1-3 record with a 4.86 earned run average over six starts and 13 appearances. Louis had a 1-2 mark with Helena last year and a 5.14 ERA with five saves in 17 appearances. ...

Tuesday night?s victory marked West Virginia?s fourth win this season that came in its final at-bat and the 12th in the two-year history at The APP. ...

The Power and Suns travel to Hagerstown tonight to begin a two-game series. The Power returns home on Friday to wrap up the first half of the season with a three-game series against Hickory.

Hagerstown first baseman Nick Evans bobbles an attempt to pick off West Virginia Power?s Ryan Crew. Crew did not advance on the play.

Charleston Gazette Photographer: Kenny Kemp

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/images/stories/SAFEP1.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: West Tenn (Cubs) 1, Huntsville 0, ten innings

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...newsId=876

Stars Struggles at Home Continue

Miguel Negron knocked in the only run of the game with a tenth inning sacrifice fly to lead West Tenn to a 1-0 win over Huntsville Tuesday night in the first of a six-game set at Joe Davis Stadium. The Diamond Jaxx improved to 39-26 and pulled to within one game of idle Chattanooga for the North Division lead with five games to go in the first half, while the Stars lost their eighth in a row and for the 21st time in their last 24 games to fall to 23-41. The Stars were shutout for a seventh time at home and ninth time on the season and did not advance a runner past second base for a second straight game.

Chris Walker led off the tenth with a bunt single, moved to second on an Eric Patterson sacrifice bunt, stayed put when Nic Jackson was intentionally passed and advanced to third base when Brian Dopirak was hit by a Brett Evert pitch. Negron then hit a fly ball deep enough to center field to score the speedy Walker and drive in his fifth run with the bases loaded against the Stars, having hit a game-winning grand slam on May 28 in the eighth inning in the first game of the last series between the teams.

Rocky Cherry retired all six hitters he faced to earn his third win of the year and has thrown five scoreless frames against the Stars in three appearances. West Tenn starter J.R. Mathes blanked Huntsville on three hits and fanned a season-high nine over 6 1/3 innings in his third start against the hosts. Carlos Vasquez worked a scoreless inning and two-thirds in relief and yielded one hit. The Stars have dropped 13 games in a row at home and remain winless at the Joe since May 7 against Montgomery.

Stars? starter Corey Thurman worked seven shutout frames and has blanked the Diamond Jaxx over 13 innings in his last two turns against them. The right-hander permitted three hits and walked three and did not strike out a batter for the first time all year. He got Mathes to ground out with the bases loaded and two outs in the second and avoided trouble in the seventh when he got Carlos Rojas to fly out into an inning-ending double play, with Dopirak getting thrown out at the plate by Ron Acuna. Stars? reliever Steve Bray struck out Negron with the bases loaded and two outs in the eighth.

The series continues on Wednesday afternoon with right-hander Tim Dillard taking the hill for Huntsville against Diamond Jaxx right-hander Bobby Brownlie. Coverage of the game begins at 11:50 a.m. central time and can be heard locally on ESPN Radio 1450 AM and via the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score:

Huntsville Game Log:

Another nice outing by Thurman last night.

Is he an option in the Brewers revolving door at the big league level or is he just an arm for the minor league rotation? If they don't want to rush some of these kids (Villanueva), would they consider him? He's older and has some big league experience from his time with Toronto.

Far off idea or possibility? Thoughts?

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Newbie around here and still trying to learn baseball. (Just reading this board has helped quite a bit.) I just wanted to comment about where the rest of the players were while Cruz was signing autographs. People gather at the exit and the players always are more than happy to stop to sign for fans.

I do agree with most of your thoughts about the game.

Archived