Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Wednesday, June 21st

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Dana Eveland at Round Rock (Astros), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: RHP Travis Phelps at Mobile (Padres), 11:20 AM pre-game, 11:35 gametime

Audio link:

www.espn1450.com/

Brevard County: RHP Yovani Gallardo at home vs. St. Lucie (Mets), 6:00 PM -- too bad the first-half finale doesn't have more meaning; not available via audio, sorry

West Virginia: Idle

Helena: RHP Mike McClendon at home vs. Missoula (Diamondbacks), 8:05 PM; we should know prior to gametime whether Helena audio will be available; also, the normally reliable Missoula link was of no use last night as well -- we'll let you know what's up later...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Wednesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Activate the Nashville Gameday. For the other links, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often. It's sweet!

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_rreaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_mobaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_breafa_1

Helena:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...k_helrok_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated an hour or two prior to gametime:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Following Nashville's lead, Huntsville now makes its media notes available as well, nice:

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Standings through Tuesday's action:

West Virginia standings are final for the first half, actually 0-0 now...

Pacific Coast League (AAA) - American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Nashville 39 31 .557 - 26-13 13-18 L1[/b] Iowa 32 38 .457 7.0 17-17 15-21 L1 Omaha 28 43 .394 11.5 16-19 12-24 W1 Memphis 26 44 .371 13.0 14-22 12-22 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Carolina 1 1 .500 - 0-0 1-1 L1 Chattanooga 1 1 .500 - 1-1 0-0 W1 [b]Huntsville 1 1 .500 - 0-0 1-1 W1[/b] Tennessee 1 1 .500 - 0-0 1-1 W1 West Tenn 1 1 .500 - 1-1 0-0 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- St. Lucie 39 30 .565 - 21-15 18-15 W1 Palm Beach 38 31 .551 1.0 21-15 17-16 W1 [b]Brevard County 35 30 .538 2.0 18-15 17-15 L1[/b] Daytona 35 34 .507 4.0 20-12 15-22 L1 Jupiter 30 38 .441 8.5 13-19 17-19 W1 Vero Beach 26 41 .388 12.0 16-18 10-23 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lexington 44 25 .638 - 24-12 20-13 W2 [b]West Virginia 39 30 .565 5.0 21-13 18-17 L1[/b] Delmarva 37 31 .544 6.5 19-17 18-14 L2 Lakewood 37 32 .536 7.0 20-14 17-18 W1 Greensboro 36 34 .514 8.5 22-13 14-21 L2 Hickory 33 36 .478 11.0 18-15 15-21 W1 Lake County 29 41 .414 15.5 14-22 15-19 L1 Hagerstown 28 42 .400 16.5 16-16 12-26 W2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pioneer League (R+) - North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Billings 1 0 1.000 - 1-0 0-0 W1 [b]Helena 1 0 1.000 - 1-0 0-0 W1[/b] Great Falls 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 Missoula 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1

There will be no Braun tonight as he is traveling to join Huntsville!!! Congrates Ryan! I dont think anyone mentioned this yet. Bob Ucker just announced it. Huntsville lost 15-0 thats bad, real bad!

sorry it was reported already in expected promotions

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Pogo,

How do you know it's Yo? (hey, that rhymed). Either way, we expect a detailed scouting report from you!!!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote:
have to feel real bad for Don Money

Should we feel bad for Money, or bad about Money? I know Huntsville doesn't have the top notch prospects, but with so many players playing so poorly, including regression by Crabbe, Heether, etc., I have to wonder just how much of the problem is Money and his staff not making the adjustment to AA.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Mobile (Padres) 15, Huntsville 0

BayBears went for two after the first touchdown...

Huntsville Site Game Summary:

Link, text follows --

Mobile Turns Tables and Blanks Stars

Roger Deago, Ryan Trytten and Paul Abraham combined on a two-hit shutout, as Mobile bounced back from being blanked last night to hand Huntsville its worst loss of the season, 15-0, Wednesday afternoon in the third of a five-game set at Hank Aaron Stadium. The BayBears have taken two of the three games to start the second half, while the Stars have now lost 13 of their last 17 games on the road.

Michael Johnson got the scoring started with a first inning home run off of starter Travis Phelps, his seventh with Mobile. Johnson broke up Tim Dillard?s no-hit bid Tuesday night with a leadoff single in the eighth inning and has five hits in the series. Deago started a five-run third inning rally with a walk, as each of the first five batters reached base and scored. Vincent Sinisi doubled in two runs and Stephen Smitherman doubled home a run to highlight the inning. Phelps was taken out after a walk to Luis Cruz and did not retire any of the six batters he faced in the frame. He was charged with the loss after allowing six runs on five hits and two walks in two innings-plus worth of work.

Russ Rohlicek tossed three scoreless innings in relief before Matt Smith gave up four unearned runs in the sixth inning. Chris O?Riordan knocked in a run with an infield singled and Drew Macias doubled in three with his first hit of the series. Matt Yeatman took over for Smith in the seventh and gave up an unearned run before allowing four in the eighth, on a solo home run by Smitherman and a three-run long ball by Matt Lauderdale, marking the third time this year the Stars have allowed two home runs in an inning and the first time they have yielded three round-trippers in a game.

Deago did not yield a hit until Drew Anderson doubled with two outs in the fifth inning. The only other Huntsville hit was a two-out double by Adam Heether in the seventh. The Mobile southpaw matched a season-high with seven strikeouts, walked two and won for the first time at home since April 26. The two hits for Huntsville matched a season-low established on April 8 at Mississippi and the Stars were blanked for an eleventh time on the season. Huntsville has been held to one run or less in 24 of the 72 games played this season and has one run batted in by a position player in the first three games of the second half.

The series continues Thursday night with southpaw Jeff Housman getting the starting assignment for the Stars against BayBears right-hander John Hudgins. Coverage of the game begins at 7:00 p.m. central time and can be heard on ESPN Radio 1450 AM locally and via the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score:

Mobile reliever Ryan Trytten was released by the Brewers in August 2003 while with Beloit -- he went the independent ball route and landed with the Padre organization a couple of years ago; the Travis Phelps resurrection project hasn't gone that well...

Huntsville Game Log:

Somebody please tell me that Gallardo was on a pitch count and that's why he left after 4.2 innings.

Also, according to the boxscore, it appears that Braun is playing tonight in Brevard County and is not on his way to Huntsville quite yet. He's currently 2 for 2 with a triple and an RBI, and no errors so far.

Prediction: if Braun is called up to Huntsville he will put up disappointing numbers and have his prospecthood questioned. Between merely performing well at A+, and the absolutely brutal effect Huntsville has had on even our best hitters his numbers will look very forgetable. Remember Corey was league MVP with essentially an .800 OPS and Prince and Weeks had somewhat similar results.

Pure speculation, but maybe it was a pitch count issue, as Yo! threw at the all-star game on Saturday.

Though, he would have been scheduled for a bullpen session, I'm guessing, at about the same interval. And he did get four days rest after an inning of work. And three walks in 4.2 is high for him, if not terrible in general.

Hopefully, Pogo will have good news. It can't arrive soon enough...

Dana is tossing a good one, but is down 1-0.

I agree igor. A pretty questionable call-up. Right now Braun is an error-prone thirdbaseman with a 770-ish OPS. The power potential is obviously there, but it hasn't come together yet for him despite being considered an advanced college hitter just a year ago. I personally would like to see him dominate (and admittedly sort of expected him to) High A ball before he gets promoted. The only reasons I can think of that he should be promoted are to add a little pop to the Huntsville line-up and perhaps because Heether is struggling so much. I guess to me it just seems like the reasons to keep him at A+ outweigh the reasons to promote him.

Prediction: if Braun is called up to Huntsville he will put up disappointing numbers and have his prospecthood questioned. Between merely performing well at A+, and the absolutely brutal effect Huntsville has had on even our best hitters his numbers will look very forgetable. Remember Corey was league MVP with essentially an .800 OPS and Prince and Weeks had somewhat similar results.

Igor,

I'll disagree with you on this one, I'm not a betting man, but if I was I would bet the farm Braun will be succesful.

I don't think igor is saying that Braun won't be successful, just that don't expect him to put up gaudy numbers which may cause people to question his success and status as a prospect. As we all know, numbers are very deceiving at Huntsville (and Brevard County).

IMO, he should have been hitting better at BC before getting the bump up. I don't really care what you think of what he's do down the road, statistically he just didn't deserve it. And sure, there are things we can't assess without seeing the guy for ourselves, but hitting .269 with 54 strikeouts and 15 errors can't be all chalked up to bad hops, poor scoring and other things unseen by the box scores. I still like Braun as a prospect, but I question the timing of the callup.

I also want to point out that there's nothing wrong for Braun to spend the entire year at Brevard County if that's what he needs. Not all college draftees soar up the chain, and I just hope the Brewers aren't rushing him because they feel the need to.

As for Gallardo, he did faced 22 batters in 4.2 innings of work. With a few more walks than usual and a couple of HBPs, it's not hard to imagine his pitch count getting up there pretty quick.

As always, I look forward to pogo's first-hand report...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree Colby, I would think there are others more 'deserving' of a promotion than Braun, but as we've seen what's 'deserved' and what happens are not always the same - especially concerning the bonus babies. Braun didn't sign a major league deal did he?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First things first...

Yo is not injured...they pulled him because he wasn't doing that great...he walked three guys and hit another 3..plus several hits..i don't know what the pitch count was, but he was getting knocked around a bit, and the manatees wanted somebody else in there...

more to come...

?Finally, A Chance to See a Manatee in the Wild?

Yovani is not injured. They pulled him because he wasn't doing that great---he walked three guys and hit another 3, plus several hits. I don't know what the pitch count was, but he was getting knocked around a bit, and the Manatees wanted somebody else in there.

Ok, so he's fine...now to scout him a little: Gallardo hits 94, but the vast majority of his fastballs were in the 89-91 range. It's possible that he could work a little higher given time. The other teams starter was akin to Jeff Housman, as his fastest pitch was 88..and he sat at 85 a few times...Yovani has a huge curveball and seemingly pinpoint control, but the umpire was very inconsistent, leading to the non hit batsmen walks being questionable. There is no doubt that Yo has absolutely filthy stuff and I wish I gotten to see a better game, still if I had to rank the top 3 A/A+ pitchers, I'd say it's Inman, Yo, Rogers. Rogers has a torch and the other two can't touch him on the speed gun. But Inman is more consistent and stays in the 93-94 range with better control than either of the other guys. I'd say Yo?s ceiling is probably a 2 and he has plenty of ability to k guys with the fastball and the curve

Ryan Braun was definitely in Brevard tonight, and when I asked the camera guy who was with the team, he hadn't heard anything about Braun being promoted a level. However, the first half did not end until tonight, so he may be catching a flight in the morning. This is the fourth time I?ve seen him at third, and I'll say this again---his defense is better than his reputation. He's not a gold glover over there, but he's plenty quick and adept, and he throws well. He's as good as most of the guys the Brewers have run out there...and much better than Helms defensively---I think he'll stick easily. As for hitting, the single was kind of a bloop and the 3b would have been a homerun at any park other than Space Coast. Holy Cow, the place is huge for one (340 down the lines...I?d guess 370 in the "power" alleys and 404 in CF, but with a 25' hitters eye) not to mention that it's very humid with swirling wind at all times. I've never seen outfielders play as shallow as both teams played their outfield, and I?ve never seen a ball die like it did every time they hit it in the air tonight. I know that Huntsville isn't a great hitter's environment, but this place was the pits for power hitting.

Other tidbits: Alcides Escobar has unbelievable range and a great arm. He fielded one that was about 30 feet out in the outfield grass, turned and fired...and to the amazement of the crowd came a half step from throwing the runner out. Alcides still looks every bit of 19, and hasn't gained an ounce since I first saw him at spring training in 2005, but when he does fill out a little he will be a starter in the majors. Something in the mold of Omar Vizquel---yup, that good.

Charlie Fermaint also has a terrific arm. Not only did he have a great putout at home plate, but he was mere inches from throwing out the runner on the previous play. He did misplay a ball off his chest early in the game that wasn't ruled an error because no one advanced, but all in all I'd say Chuck can handle CF, but if he has to move, he's got plenty of arm for one of the corners.

Hernan didn't impress much tonight, and I am concerned about his prospect status. He was much more compelling last year, but I'm not ready to write him off completely yet. He's more of a hacker than his stats would indicate, and he really doesn't have much power---he might hit 10 bombs in a good year, so he's just not a top class prospect. The clubhouse store had a few of his game used bats for sail, and I was very tempted to buy one, take it home, and cut it open...but $25 seemed a little expensive to prove something I already know...though it would have been fun to hold the proof in my hands.

Well, that?s it for now. Send me an email, or ask me on the boards if you think of anything you wanted to hear about or a player I didn't mention

Colbyjack,

If I look back at Braun's defense as you seem to think he needs to stay in A+ when was the last error he made? I know your a big follower, maybe you can look that up. My guess it's been 20-25 games ago since he last made an error. If you talked to the organization they may tell you that is what they were looking for, "improvement on defense".

Archived