Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50, 8/7, Farm Hops on homepage

Adding onto the thoughts on Nelson, for me it's not just because he's an impending FA, but he has taken so long to enjoy success as he moves up the ladder. A year ago many of us still considered Nelson a legitimate prospect, meaning in the top 20-25 range, but he didn't succeed at AAA, prompting a bump back down to AA, where he didn't hit that great either. The Brewers moved him back to 1B almost conceding that he didn't have a future with the big-league club given the presence of Fielder.

And as nice as his season is, the PCL really favors hitting, while the Southern League and FSL favors pitching, and Katin has been hitting for power in those two leagues the past two years, as his development hasn't slowed one bit. Just take a peak at his XBH the past two years. I see no reason why he won't continue to move up, and may get a cup of coffee if the team needs a RH power bat in a pinch.

Plus, he is a pretty good overall athlete, at least surprisingly so for his listed height/weight, with a good arm, so he's not a liability, or at least he has a defensive home. Nelson is probably a better fit with an AL club, even at the AA/AAA level. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm down on Nelson, because I still hold out hope for him that he somehow can re-find the stroke that made him such an exciting prospect a few short years ago (plus, he along with Jason Belcher were the first players I ever interviewed).

I don't think many people think Katin will be an everyday RF. Of course I hope he will be, but it's clear some of his other numbers and splits suggest that he has a lot to work on to be pencilled in as a future starter. He has more of a future with the Brewers than Nelson does though, even if Nelson remains in the organization.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again for yet another great P50. It's such an awesome resource.

Inman was mentioned earlier, and I'm not too upset about the trade. 7 of the top 10 guys in the P50 are in A ball, so the comp picks we will presumably get in return will be great. I think that JZ and DM will look at more college guys like they did with LaPorta to really beef up the higher levels of our minor league system.

Archived