Brewer Fanatic

June Transactions Thread

any news about our 4th rounder Evan Anundsen, RHP, Columbine HS (CO or will we lose him to witchia st.

also curious about this young arm Chad Robinson, RHP, Silverado HS (NV) picked at #11.

the other is now that his season is over can we expect to add

Andy Bouchie, C, Oral Roberts University soon?

thanks in advance

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Updated list of signees also includes # 7 pick Andy Bouchie:

1. (16 overall): Jeremy Jeffress, RHP, Halifax County Senior HS (VA)

2. (60): Brent Brewer, SS, Sandy Creek HS (GA)

4. (122): Evan Anundsen, RHP, Columbine HS (CO)

5. (152): Chris Errecart, LF, U.C. Berkeley

6. (182): Brae Wright, LHP, Oklahoma State University

7. (212): Andy Bouchie, C, Oral Roberts University

8. (242): Shane Hill, RHP, Florida Christian School (FL)

9. (272): Shawn Ferguson, RHP, Texas Christian University

10. (302): Mike McClendon, RHP, Seminole Community College

11. (332): Zach Clem, LF, University of Washington

13. (392): Chris Toneguzzi, RHP, Purdue University

14. (422): Hector Bernal, SS, El Paso Community College

15. (452): Brett Whiteside, C, Mesquite HS (AZ)

21. (632): Jesse D'Amico, C, Mohawk HS (PA)

22. (662): J.T. King, RHP, Northeastern Oklahoma A&M

25. (752): Mike Goetz, CF, UW-Milwaukee

30. (902): Jordan Swayden, C, San Diego State

33. (992): Eric Newton, 2B, Santa Clara University (CA)

34. (1022): Stuart Sutherland, RHP, Dallas Baptist University

35. (1052): Sanduan Dubose, 3B, Stillman College (MS)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Manatees report that 24-year-old utility man Carlos de la Cruz will join Helena in a coaching capacity.

We'll likely see a news note on this from Helena within the next week, at which time we'll officially log a retired transaction for Carlos. Good luck to him in his new role with the organization.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/playerpix/carlos_de_la_cruz.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As a poster noted in the Draft Forum, the first of the non-drafted free agents has been signed by the Brewers:

Link while active, text follows --

www.tcnjathletics.com/New...sp?path=bb

Ewing, NJ -The College of New Jersey?s baseball player, senior outfielder Charlie Iacono (Hamilton, NJ / Nottingham) has signed with Milwaukee Brewers and will play rookie league ball with the Helena (MT) Brewers in the Pioneer League.

Over the course of his career with TCNJ, Iacono earned several awards while also adding his named into TCNJ?s baseball record book. On his senior season he was tapped for the 2006 New Jersey Athletic Conference All-Star First Team, the NJCBA All-State Division II/III Second Team and the ABCA Atlantic Region Second Team this year.

He added his name to the single-season stolen base record as he finished with 48 stolen bases on 50 tries, after zooming past C.J. Rockhill (32, 1986). In just two years with the Lions, he just missed the career stolen base record set in 1988 by Rockhill with 77 as he had 76 stolen bases. On his career, Iacono was 76-79 on the basepaths and added a .320 average at the plate in 93 consecutive starts. He had 124 career hits after adding 66 hits in 2006 with 31 RBI?s. He also added 59 runs scored in 2006, which ranks No. 3 all-time in single-season performances, while his 66 hits ranks 12th and his 54 singles ranks fifth.

For the 2006 season, TCNJ?s baseball program produced three All-Americans, a National Player of the Year and established numerous individual and team records after a 38-8 campaign, the 2006 NJAC Championship and a runner-up finish in the NCAA Regional Tournament. Among the school records broken over the course of the year were most wins (38), while scoring 468 runs, on 611 hits with 124 doubles, 34 triples, 959 total bases and 431 RBI?s, while also batting .354 and combining for a 2.92 ERA, all new single-season team records.

http://www.tcnjathletics.com/images/bb/2006/5/1/CharlieIACONO.jpg

Former first round pick and Gord Ash whipping-boy Mike Jones has been activated from the Brevard DL. If I can count, another move needs to be made to get the roster back down to 25.

Purely speculation on my part, but the Stars need another starter, and Steve Hammond pitched well once again last night for Brevard.

If that is the case, then it would be possible for them to send down 2 relievers to make room for him. Although I don't think either Sorensen or Rottino is on the 40-man roster at this point in time.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Another non-drafted free agent signed:

Also heading to the Pioneer League is University of Tampa catcher J.R. Hopf, a former Plant High standout who hit .400 while catching for the Spartans. UT officials confirmed Hopf was signed by the Brewers as an undrafted free agent, and will play for the Helena (Mont.) Brewers.

Profile Link (Adobe format):

www.utampa.edu/athletics/...l/hopf.pdf

Lots of pitchers in Maryvale, and plenty of help catching them signed as of late -- the Brewers now have numbers at the position for the two rookie teams, almost too many in numbers, we'll see who will emerge...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The fourth non-drafted rookie signing we're aware of is catcher D.J. Neyens of the University of Washington, he'll begin the year in Helena:

gohuskies.cstv.com/sports..._dj00.html

Neyens only played in six games (one start) this season, getting seven at-bats, and was purely a backup as a junior in 2005, so this is a curious signing. Maybe a scout clearly remembered Neyens from his junior college days.

Brevard closer Josh Alliston (one of my favorite guys in the organization) has been activated from the Manatees' DL. I couldn't find a corresponding transaction, though I can only hope it is a starting pitcher (Steve Hammond or Yo Gallardo?) to Huntsville. They need more than 4 decent starters, Nichols

I am thinking it is Yo... He last pitched on the 9th of June... Hammond (who is scheduled tonight) last pitched on the 14th of June... Other than injury I don't understand why the would skip Yo in the rotation with so much riding on tonight's game... He must already be on his way to Huntsville...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have signed LHP Brian Logan, undrafted in 2006, to a contract. The 5'11" 20-year-old played the past two seasons for Louisburg College, a two-year school in North Carolina.

Logan was selected by the Cleveland Indians in the 11th round of the 2004 amateur entry draft out of high school, and then by the Baltimore Orioles in the 21st round of the 2005 amateur entry draft after his freshman college season.

A quick scan of the Louisburg 2006 box scores doesn't reveal much in terms of overall success about Logan, who's from Richmond, Virginia.

www.louisburg.edu/athleti...lstats.htm

Logan will pitch in Maryvale to begin 2006.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

22-year-old Northwestern University senior left fielder Anthony Wycklendt has been signed by the Brewers as a non-drafted free agent and assigned to Maryvale to begin 2006. Wycklendt is from Glendale, Wisconsin.

Anthony Wycklendt Northwestern Player Page:

nusports.cstv.com/sports/...ony00.html

Link while active, text follows:

www.cstv.com/sports/m-bas...06aad.html

Senior Anthony Wycklendt has had a 'tough' season for NU

By David Morrison, Daily Northwestern

April 25, 2006

Evanston, IL (CSTV U-WIRE) -- In his first three years at Northwestern, left fielder Anthony Wycklendt hit .322 and drove in 109 runs in 135 games.

Last year, he became the first NU player in six years to hit 10 home runs in a season.

But the numbers haven't been there this year.

"I feel like I've been seeing the ball well and hitting it well," he said. "Sometimes the balls are going in for me, but there's other times where balls that I hit pretty well and deep end up getting caught.

"It's tough. But I know from what I've done here that sooner or later I'll find gaps and holes, and it's all back to normal."

Wycklendt is hitting .217 this season, with four home runs and 13 RBI in 36 games.

Even without the offensive production of years past, the senior has found ways to help win games for the Wildcats (14-22, 11-5 Big Ten), who are tied with Michigan for the Big Ten lead.

Coach Paul Stevens said pitchers still respect Wycklendt's ability at the plate.

"You look at his size and understand that here's a guy who has tremendous natural power," he said. "If he does connect with something, it can go a long, long way."

In last Saturday's win against Penn State, the Nittany Lions intentionally walked Wycklendt in the Cats' last at-bat to face third baseman Caleb Fields.

Fields delivered the game-winning single. Wycklendt was hitless going into that at-bat.

"That gives us a situation to win that game because Caleb's one of our hottest hitters," Stevens said. "That's pure respect. No matter what the statistics say, this is a guy you always have to be aware of. He can change the complexion of any game."

He has also stepped up his performance in the field.

Wycklendt, who came to NU as an infielder, has adapted to his new position well over the last two years.

"When he came in here, he wasn't a good defensive player at all," Stevens said. "You could have rolled a basketball to him and he would have probably missed it five out of 10 times. (Now) he is an awfully solid defensive player: running down baseballs and having the arm strength to throw people out from left field."

Wycklendt has committed only three errors this year and made three outfield assists.

He said not letting his defense falter as a function of his hitting troubles is important to him.

"I take a lot of pride in my defense," he said. "It took a lot of work to learn the position and get comfortable out there. If you start tanking on defense, then your confidence as a whole can get shot down."

Stevens said Wycklendt's main problem right now is patience at the plate. Wycklendt leads the team in strikeouts, with 31.

Wycklendt said he needs to take what the pitchers give him.

"I see a lot of junk pitches: sliders, curveballs, changeups, a lot of stuff on corners. Nothing really over the center of the plate," he said. "You have to be a real disciplined hitter."

Wycklendt has shown signs of breaking from the slump, like hitting .333 in the four-game set against Michigan and launching a moon shot to left field to open up the scoring in last Saturday's first game against Penn State.

"I'm pretty confident that if I keep the same stroke, it'll come around," he said. "It's worked in the past so there's no reason it shouldn't work again in the future."

Archived