Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sun. 7/9 -- Power Overcome Eight-Run Deficit

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: Rehabbing RHP Ben Sheets at Round Rock (Astros), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: Idle

Brevard County: Rehabbing RHP Tomo Ohka and TBD (probably LHP Manny Parra) in a doubleheader at Palm Beach (Cardinals), 1:05 PM

Audio link (opponent's):

www.palmbeachcardinals.com/

West Virginia: LHP Rafael Lluberes at Lexington (Astros), 4:55 PM pre-game, 5:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.sportsjuice.com/provi...e=wvpower.

Helena: Idle

Arizona: TBD at home in Maryvale vs. the rookie Giants, 12:30 PM Central time, 10:30 AM local, never any web audio for the Arizona League

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Sunday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Activate the Nashville Gameday. For the other links, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often. It's sweet!

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_rreaaa_1

Brevard County Game One:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_pbcafa_1

Brevard County Game Two:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_pbcafa_2

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_lexafx_1

Arizona:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...k_brrrok_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated an hour or two prior to gametime:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Following Nashville's lead, Huntsville now makes its media notes available as well, nice:

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Standings through Saturday's action:
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Nashville 47 41 .534 - 28-19 19-22 W1[/b] Iowa 43 45 .489 4.0 24-20 19-25 W3 Memphis 37 51 .420 10.0 19-27 18-24 L1 Omaha 34 55 .382 13.5 19-20 15-35 L2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tennessee 12 8 .600 - 7-3 5-5 L1 West Tenn 12 8 .600 - 7-3 5-5 W3 Chattanooga 11 9 .550 1.0 6-4 5-5 L3 Carolina 8 12 .400 4.0 5-5 3-7 L3 [b]Huntsville 8 12 .400 4.0 3-7 5-5 W1[/b] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Daytona 11 3 .786 - 7-3 4-0 W2 St. Lucie 10 3 .769 0.5 5-1 5-2 L1 Palm Beach 6 8 .429 5.0 3-2 3-6 W1 [b]Brevard County 5 8 .385 5.5 2-3 3-5 W2[/b] Jupiter 5 10 .333 6.5 4-6 1-4 L2 Vero Beach 5 10 .333 6.5 1-5 4-5 L2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lakewood 12 5 .706 - 6-1 6-4 W2 Greensboro 9 8 .529 3.0 5-4 4-4 W3 Lake County 9 8 .529 3.0 4-3 5-5 W2 Hagerstown 7 9 .438 4.5 5-7 2-2 L2 [b]West Virginia 7 9 .438 4.5 4-3 3-6 L3[/b] Lexington 7 10 .412 5.0 6-3 1-7 W4 Delmarva 5 11 .313 6.5 3-4 2-7 L2 Hickory 5 12 .294 7.0 4-8 1-4 L6 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pioneer League (R+) - North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Billings 12 6 .667 - 6-2 6-4 W1 Great Falls 10 9 .526 2.5 3-5 7-4 L1 [b]Helena 8 11 .421 4.5 4-7 4-4 L1[/b] Missoula 7 11 .389 5.0 4-6 3-5 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Arizona League (R) - Arizona League Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- AZL Giants 9 4 .692 - 4-3 5-1 W1 AZL Royals 9 4 .692 - 3-3 6-1 W4 AZL Mariners 9 5 .643 0.5 5-2 4-3 W1 AZL Padres 8 5 .615 1.0 4-3 4-2 W3 [b]AZL Brewers 6 7 .462 3.0 2-4 4-3 W2[/b] AZL Angels 6 8 .429 3.5 4-6 2-2 L2 AZL Rangers 6 8 .429 3.5 3-3 3-5 W1 AZL Athletics 5 9 .357 4.5 2-3 3-6 L1 AZL Cubs 3 11 .214 6.5 1-6 2-5 L3

I rarely critique them, but I'm curious why Jeffress isn't being stretched out. Are they working on things with him, is he just getting his arm ready to go to Helena, is he exceeding the organization's per inning pitch limit?

My guess is that they're working on some things with him (better feel for a third pitch, mechanics?). Otherwise, I'd think he could get through AZL lineups pretty efficiently by just throwing gas.

As I know you remember, Rogers and Gallardo both spent their first years there. Inman started and got bumped to Helena pretty quickly. Looking at Rogers v. Inman, you'd assume that they tend to keep HS pitchers there who need work on the two abovementioned aspects and move up the other.

Gallardo makes that not so cut-and-dry, as he was someone we were always told had that advanced feel for pitching, good mechanics, and more than two pitches working for him, IIRC.

No walks in 10 innings makes it sound like Tomo has not lost the command of any of his pitches during his layoff. I would be curious to hear about his velocity. He has given up twelve hits in 10 innnings to Single A batters, making me wonder if his arm strength is still suffering.

1e Corbeau already summed it up pretty well, but the baby Brewers don't have much of a pitch count at Arizona. I seem to remember them being on a pitch count of 40, and looking at Jeffress' performance today, that seems about right given the amount of men he put on base.

Also as already noted, the raw fireballers such as Jeffress, Rogers and Jones seem to burn through that pitch count pretty quick since they aren't (or weren't) particularly refined. I'm sure the Brewers are trying to get Jeffress to throw all three pitches more effectively. Similar to Rogers last year, Jeffress may see WV next season, but it certainly wouldn't hurt him to bring him along more slowly. No need to stretch it out at this stage of his career, especially since he already has thrown quite a few innings at the HS level this spring.

Sheets is done, 3 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs - all earned, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts, 1 home run, 65 pitches - 40 strikes. Hit 94 on the gun consisently. He threw a slider once according to the radio guy, but I am pretty that was wrong, being that Sheets does not throw a slider.

It sounded like he hung a few of the curveballs. The homerun was off a hanger. Brandon Backe doubled off him as well. Also, the Express hit a lot of hard balls that went foul. Most of the hits were off hanging curveballs according to the radio guy.

It seemed like he was really working on getting the feel for his curve, as he threw a lot more than I thought he would. A hanger was hit out, but he struck out a couple looking at curves. If he feels fine tomorrow, we should be encouraged, as he did not seem to hold back trying to play it conservative.

Sheets was reportedly working on a cutter during his throwing sessions. Did they mention him throwing it tonight? Did the announcer confuse the cutter for a slider? The cutter would be an excellent 3rd pitch for Sheets, as it would give him a weapon against lefthanded batters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I was at the Express/Sounds game to watch Sheets (I left early). Here is what I saw. Ben was in a very good mood as he was constantly joking with some fans and even laughed about the home run that was cranked into the upper deck in the Dell Diamond Home Run porch. The stadium gun had Sheets' 4 seamer consitently at 91-93. He did hit 94 a few times and 95 was his top. He was having trouble locating his curveball but the umps didn't do him any favors. Good to see him back pitching and in good spirits.

He did seem to have a new pitch. His 4 seamer was as reported and threw some 2 seamers that came in a ~88. What was interesting was that he had some pitches come in at ~85. I wonder if that was the cut fastball. It didn't seem to have much movement to it. He threw a couple changeups in the 80-82 mph range and his curve was upper 70s.

I wanted to stay for more after his exit but my pregnant wife had other ideas.

Yo's mechanics are simply flawless. In the game, he threw mainly fastballs and only a few offspeed pitches. He walked one and gave up an infield single and one of the flyouts was well-hit. He was consistently hitting 92-94 on the gun, while his offspeed pitches were in the 75 range.

Archived