Brewer Fanatic

Salome Suspended for 50 games; Update - Only Five Games Remain

giffted1
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pogo - do you have solid proof or are you just slandering a guys name? Seriously, what gives any of us the right to say that stuff without real, concrete proof? Sheesh...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

i have more solid evidence than hearsay from someone on a website (which of course, you could conclude is all i'm doing, but nonetheless)...

also, how does me repeating what the mlb said and what tom h. said constitute slander? other than saying the suspension was for steroids, which if you look above you'll see tom h. printed on his blog, i've said nice things about the guy...

i still think he's a good prospect and a good person, i just think we are being misled by other sources

also, how does me repeating what the mlb said and what tom h. said constitute slander? other than saying the suspension was for steroids, which if you look above you'll see tom h. printed on his blog, i've said nice things about the guy...

MLB has only reported it as a "banned substance." Its natural to assume steroids, and I wouldn't put it past Tom to have assumed and unintentionally reported it.

But maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear. I guess I'll remain open to both possibilities until someone can say something more definitive than "trust me, I know," because we got guys on both sides saying that. Please, if you can, do so to clear this up.

Angel was busted for "amphetamines" don't know how you can look it up or prove it but I have copies as does Angel. I guess there is a way to find it out publicly, but who cares? Angel doesn't, he team mates who know him don't and few others don't. He is the hardest worker you will ever see, the kindest team mate and great friend. He will be a fixture in the Brewers organization for many years. When you see him day after day and you get to talk to him at the ballpark and see him interviewed on TV, you will see. You should see how much time he spends, not asked., paid or obligated to, with our catchers in particular. You're getting a class guy leave it alone and move on. He didn't smoke weed, didn't do steroids, DUI or anything else, he made a mistake that is related to his medication.

Go see him play and talk to him.

You may have another GW guy in 08 as our top prospect, Jean Carlos Rodriguez, a converted SS could be a top 3 round pick. Many teams interested including the Brewers. According to JC, if the Brewers draft him, he will sit Salome, his idol. Tall words.

Enjoy.

"Coach"http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

but I have copies as does Angel. I guess there is a way to find it out publicly, but who cares? Angel doesn't, he team mates who know him don't and few others don't.

Then as previously suggested, if it's not a big deal, why not send a copy over to Brian and clear everything up once and for all? With Angel's permission, of course. Since it's not a big deal, I'd think he'd be thrilled to clear himself in the eyes of Brewer fans.

Why isn't Angel playing Winter ball in the DR? Didn't coach say he was the #1 pick in their draft or something? And if winter ball isn't his thing, why isn't he working out in Phoenix with the other Brewer minor league players at their winter program thing that is going on?

To me it just seems that something fishy is going on...I didn't see Salome play at instructional league....he wasn't playing in the Hawaiian league...he's not at the Brewers minor league winter ball camp in Phoenix....

I would think the Brewers would want to have Salome in one of those 3 progams instead of working out with a high school team. Unless Angel declined participating in them...

Just thinking out loud. Something doesn't add up here.

Not that I don't believe the coach but something doesn't smell right to me here.

We find out often what these guys test positive for. They come clean and try to move on. Jeffress was in instructional league why wasn't Salome? What the coach is saying makes no sense when you stop and think about it. Why would he be working out locally around where he grew up rather than instructional league or playing winter ball? Why would the Brewers endorse doing that? No offense to the coach but why would the Brewers want him working out without their instruction?

I'm afraid we are likely going to find out there is a lot more to this story down the road. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if Salome doesn't play next year.

Yeah, I find it odd that they'd have Jeffress working out with them if testing positive twice for illegal drugs and not have Salome there if it was for something in a legitimate prescription that he was taking. Something certainly doesn't seem quite right with that, at least in my opinion.

I just want to add a comment to coach that no one is questioning Salome's character, work ethic and how great it is that he openly works with the younger players on your team.

His value to us is about what he's currently doing in the Brewers system to improve his abilities. Participating with his high school team instead of accepting an assignment to Hawaii, the DR or Venezuela to help further his development, or even working out with his organization mates in Arizona, does seem rather screwy. The Brewers have invested a lot of money in him, and I hope he has the team's confidence and blessing this offseason while doing whatever it is he is doing.

I personally don't care if he got busted for steroids or ben gay, I just hope he's doing everything in his power right now to put himself in the best position to be a significant part of the big-league Brewers future.

I re-read coach's post and two things stuck out:

"Angel is working out with the team everyday, spending time with his beautiful daughter"

and the date, 11/28/07 7:49 PM ( a week after Thanksgiving)

Maybe he spent some time (now around the holidays) with his family and worked out every day he was (or still is) home. Just a thought, maybe coach could clarify.

Well let me explain for those who have trouble either reading or understanding. First of all HE WAS SUSPENDED FOR AMPHETAMINES, I am looking at the papers right now. A M P H E T A M I N E S adderol is an amphetamine. Also Angel was scheduled to play in Hawaii. MLB decided that he could not play, not Angel, not the Brewers, plus it doesn't go against his suspension, just can't play, period. By the way he wasn't demoted, he was put on the roster of a lower level team because they had more remaining games so he would have to serve less in 09. Is that an organization trying to punish him? No they want him back and understand he didn't do much wrong, but wrong yes. Angel was the 1st pick in DR last year but had surgery on his ankle and could not play. Next, he is not obligated to play or go to Arizona, nor DR. We discussed the options and decided that with all the major league players there (DR) he wouldn't get to play much but would practice mostly. The history of DR winter ball for many not all big leaguers is to have fun, drink goof off and party until the championships. Angel is too hard of a worker and too serious to get involved or be party to, especially since his injury and the suspension. He decided that he would stay in NY, fight off the cold weather and get a part time job. He was able to be with his family and work out with us. For those that don't know about our program,we are notorious for our hard work and unbelievable workouts indoors. Many of our pro players come to the workouts and don't go to the warm Florida or Arizona weather, that should say something about what we do and accomplish. You would throw up just from watching us work. There is a documentary coming out and 2 others out about us, a book is being written that will be out in the Spring. It's not about the tremendous success we have had but "the program, the family the unity, the tremendous love we have for the game and each other at GW" It's a beauty to watch. Why wouldn't a young man trying to get to the next level and then to the Show not want to be in a place where he can get all his work in and some? Plus Angel is an icon to many of these young kids, he wants to give back. It makes perfect sense since he is not obligated to be anywhere except Spring Training where he will be a beast. We had a representative from the Brewers at practice today to get some paperwork in for our two top 08 players, a catcher and a RF. It al made sense to him and he and Angel talked awhile. He thought Angel looked great and is looking forward to 09 as well. So that's it in a nutshell, all is good all is fine Angel is Angel. PS after working out from 3pm until 5 PM with the team with our stretching and conditioning, he went into the weight room for an hour and a half, finished with us for a short while and then at 7:30 took our catcher downtown for a half hour ride to go to a place with a batting cage so they could work on their blocking and then catch some bull pen, hum sounds like a fiend to me a real GW alum. Be glad you have him!!!! I gotta worry about my other 30 kids right now since 2 are top 08 grads 2 top 09 grads and 3 top 2010 we'll be a force for awhile.

"Coach

"Coach"

Guys...after hearing coaches words, and having spent a summer getting

to know the kind of guy Angel is, I see him taking advantage of having

a workout program and facility where he can be around his new daughter,

and still take care of business. I watched this kid break bats over

his legs after flying out when he went hitless in games. His biggest

enemy is his expectations of himself in his own mind. Baseball is

different today....regardless of what you think his suspension is

about, five years ago you would never have heard a word, and there

would have been no suspension and no comments from know it all

"baseball experts". I plan on catching up with Angel when he makes his

first trip into Cincinnati or Pittsburgh late this year or next...I

know the guy, I've seen his heart...he still is your top 10 prospect.

I can't wait to take my son to a major league town to meet his hero he

got to be friends with when he was 5. I don't go out on a limb with

too much I say on this board, but I'm willing to go there with what the

coach says about Angel!

It's time to just let this thread die off. At this time this discussion has become an excercise in futility.

Coach, you have to understand that people aren't going to completely beleive everything that another person says on an internet message board. People aren't saying Angel is a bad guy, just that he made a mistake. If it was amphetamines, or steriods, or any other kind of banned substance it is still a mistake. (I know you said angel takes a ADD med, but he should have know not to change the drug without notifying MLB) Angel is a great prospect and from all acounts is a nice guy.

I am glad you came and gave us your views, and gave us your insight. Now it is just time to wait out the suspension get Salome back on the field, and get on with his progression.

I doubt that Pogokat is trying to discredit your character, simply trying to tell people to make up thier own minds about this issue. I will say that pogo, did at time come across as a little pompous.

Well, i've probably randomly rambled on for long enough, and incoherently enough. Coach I hope we continue to hear from you as Angel progresses throught the system. I also hope that you keep us in mind as the draft approaches, there is a great Draft thread here, and I am sure that a ton of us would like to hear about your prospects.

Archived