Brewer Fanatic

Salome Suspended for 50 games; Update - Only Five Games Remain

giffted1

What I don't understand is how this should effect his status as a prospect as I'm reading from a lot of you guys.

The big thing for me is that he's gonna be missing 50 games. When that's gonna happen for any reason, you have to be concerned, as he'll miss a ton of reps and practice that a young developing player desperately needs.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
That Angel was suspended for an ADHD drug is a relief. That means he should be able to avoid this in the future, unlike a guy who was actually using steroids. I still hope to see him in MLB sometime in 2009.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Folks, we really, really have to step back here.

Somehow this thread has spun towards treating the "explanations" given by certain posters earlier as gospel.

The fact is, and it is the only fact we know, is that MLB found cause to suspend Angel Salome. That's it. Period.

You can choose to read into what some have said as you wish, but remember, all we know is that MLB found cause to suspend Angel Salome. That's it. Period.

One opinion line forms to the left, another to the right. I imagine few are in between.

I guess, for the last time, Angel was NOT suspended for Steroids. I have the papers in my hand. MLB will suspend you if you take anything that is "banned" regrdless of what it is, you cant fight it. If they clear you to take Tylenol and you take Advil, too bad, no permission, suspention, that is kind of what happened. Remember, there are many sports drinks that still have Ephedra and stuff like that in it that is banned, one must be careful. You can choose to believe what you want, but take it from someone who knows and has the facts, and if you knew Angel you would know it to be true. It's funny cause even here a lot of people are saying "he got busted" so some automatically think the worst, that's human nature. He will be working out and then playing in Hawaii, wait until you see what he does next year, knowing him, he will be on a mission. But please stop all the steroid talk it is making me sick. Angel is your #1 prospect of guys who are not in the big leagues like Gallardo, Parra, and Braun. Treat it like an injury. He will be as big, strong and determined next year, no let down cause there is nothing to be let down from.

Angel in Milwaukee in Sept 08.

"Coach"

Coach32sm thank you. Hopefully some will allow facts to get in the way of their opinion.

However, I doubt it. I am looking forward to seeing Angel in the big leagues.

It is a shame that a young player has to lose 50 games because of ignorance, public relations and media driven paranoia.

This is the 21st century and some folks want to pretend we are in the 19th.

Pharmaceuticals are a huge part of our lives and will become a larger one. In most instances they have allowed us to live longer and enjoy a quality of life that folks even 20 years ago could never dream of.

Everything is harmful if you abuse it or use it inappropriately.

McDonald's Quarter pounders have done much more damage to teenagers than steroids or HGH.

Coach: I'm with you. I'm glad to see you sharing the knowledge with the rest of us. Let's just say enough has been said here and lock this thread. I look forward to seeing Angel in the bigs so I can bring my son to see him and, when my son gets a little bit older explain to him how life can deal you adversity, but a strong man will take it and thrive off the challenge. That is what I predict Angel will do!

Yes, obviously, the players get a copy of the suspention, etc. I would not show it to anybody without Angel's permission, nor do I even think it necessary. If you were arrested falsly, you wouldn't go around showing your arrest report, it's kind of personal stuff but I guess it's public or will be public soon. But as I said, "let's move on" You don't see anybody making a big deal about it. Angel is off to Arizona and then Hawaii to bust his ass as usual and get ready for next season, hopefully with a stop at AA and then a short visit to AAA before a Sept. call up!!! The Brewers are struggling let's worry about that first, Angel can be your savior later.

I would not show it to anybody without Angel's permission

Oh, absolutely. We'd absolutely love to clear Angel's name once and for all officially, so if you'd maybe bring it up to Angel when you talk to him next, it would be great to put some finality to this. I'm sure he'd be quite open to the idea if it was Adderol, as getting the news out through an impartial third party here would really ease the minds of his fan base.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

For what it's worth, comments from the just-suspended Tampa Bay AA pitcher:

Sarasota's Houser responds to suspension

Sarasota High grad James Houser, a Tampa Bay Devil Rays farmhand, responded to his 50-game suspension for violating baseball's substance abuse policy to the Montgomery Advertiser on Saturday.

Houser, who played for the Montgomery Biscuits, acknowledged he passed on an appeal and started the suspension immediately. He will remain with the team for the rest of the season but won't be allowed to dress for games or sit in the dugout.

"What do you do?" Houser told the paper. "I knew what I was doing was wrong and I have to pay the consequences."

He said that he did not test positive for steroids but would not say what substance he tested positive for.

"I made a mistake and I have to pay the consequences," Houser told the paper. "I feel bad for my teammates and the organization. I'll live and learn, go on from here and come back next year."

• 3 months later...

Per Tom Haudricourt's "Draft Might Provide Relief in Long Run," Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel/JSOnline.com:

Salome drew a 50-game suspension for testing positive for steroids at Brevard but has served most of that penalty and currently is playing winter ball in Venezuela. [emphasis added]
If my memory and Yuku seach skills are accurate, I believe this is the first printed identification of the "performance enhancing drug" Angel was suspended for taking.

Tom has done plenty of sloppy reporting however, misidentifying what draft picks would be received, and so on. Steroids has kind of become a generic term for performance enhancers, and I certainly don't know which are which...maybe Tom or Angel's old coach don't either.

I don't care what it is...does anyone really know where he is? I've heard in the past he was tucked away in Arizona, and I haven't seen any evidence of him playing in Venezuela....anybody else have any updates on where he is? Regardless of what he did or didn't do, I still think this guy is one guy who could potentially bring something to the bigs some day as a catcher. There just really isn't much catching talent left any more, and I don't want to write this one off! I agree with Pogo....let's put the debate to rest...but I'd still like an update on the guy!

it's steroids...i'm tired of this conversation resurfacing...there's only been one source (of many) that has suggested it was anything else, and that was right here..

A friend of mine talked to the Brevard County radio announcer and he said it was not steroids, moreso a situation such as coach explained out.

Hey guys;

For the last time and please believe this angel was NOT BUSTED for STEROIDS, never used, never will, I promise. And if Venezuela is in Washington Heights then he must be in Caracas. Angel is working out with the team everyday, spending time with his beautiful daughter and helping out our team and our top round pick (hopefully) in 08, an Angel clone.

Believe it or not angel is BIGGER, STRONGER, and more FLEXIBLE than ever. He is busting his ass and looks great. I was going to take his picture today and post it but he was working way too hard and then helping our catchers. Maybe next week. I assure you all is well with Salome and wait until you see him, he will put up better numbers than before, his defense is getting better as well. You could se him in AA at the start then some AAA and if all goes well a call up in Sept. I guess that's why Kendall was signed for 1 year with an option for the second. Angel will be Show ready soon. Forget the BS and remember his .415 and his MVP and what he hit after his first 23 AB's this year after surgery, it was like .350 or more.

don't worry about Angel, I don't think the Brewers are, 'cause they know how good of a kid he is and how hard he works.

Talk to you soon, hope this clears up a bit of confusion

"Coach"

I never knew that the Brewers had a facility in Washington Heights. I thought that they sent everyone to Arizona for winter workouts. Just curious as to how Angel would be working out with the team everyday when everyone else seems to be playing winter ball or are in AZ not playing ball but going through conditioning.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

BCF,

Welcome!

Angel went to high school in Wash Heights. The "Team" is his old high school team and coach32 is his old high school coach.

"there's only been one source (of many) that has suggested it was anything else, and that was right here.."

That may very well be because of federal privacy laws regarding medical information. Not sure, but possible. In any event, all we know for sure (other than what coach told us) is that it was a 'banned substance'.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

seriously, don't you guys think angel would have attempted to clear the air in some way if it was just ritalin?

i've met angel...he's a nice guy...i've seen him play lots of times, he'sa vey exciting prospect...but he got busted for performance enhancer....and it's steroids here...i couldn't be more certain

Archived