Brewer Fanatic

Salome Suspended for 50 games; Update - Only Five Games Remain

giffted1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wow. Does that automatically mean 'roids?

EDIT: Actually, I think it would be a different violation if it was steriods. I hope he can find the help he needs although I often wonder why people take up drugs in the first place.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The last guy we suspended with drug issues was Tom Wilhelmsen wasn't it? Which is still depressing because if he had Inman's makeup he'd have been incredible. Well I'm less than optimistic about Angel's career now.

if Angel's HS coach stops by, please wish him our best. We're huge fans and want him to do well, but we want him to be clean as a person and clean as a professional player. We're hoping he pulls through whatever problem(s) might have caused this positive test and becomes a stronger person because of it

I'm more willing to give some amount of leeway with a young kid than I am someone who is older. I was pretty stupid myself in my eraly 20's. That said it is disappointing for someone to risk a major league career for recreation or risky shortcuts to better performance. Take care of yourself Salome and come back a better person.

In a word... wow. I'm surprised and quite disappointed.

Is there any chance of Salmone making the bigs while Turnbow's a Brewer? Would that make for the first "official" battery that dabbled in the realm of performance enhancing drugs?

In all seriousness, though, are LuCroy and Fryer now going to leapfrog him on the prospect charts?

In all seriousness, though, are LuCroy and Fryer now going to leapfrog him on the prospect charts?

As bad as 50 games sounds, Salome still starts next year at AA anyway. (Well, he'll miss the first week.) Lucroy and Palmisano are still a step behind him, IMO. Fryer and Bouchie are on the next level.

This is really a bad break for our prospect conveyer belt. How long do they wait to make announcments on these types of things? Maybe this is why the Brewers took a couple catchers in the first ten rounds of the last draft. Maybe they knew something was going on. Purely speculation.

LuCroy sure has looked good so far at least.

Quote:
If it is steriods, I wonder if he was taking something to help speed the healing of the ankle he fractured last year? I'd rather have that scenario than a longer term situation.

I doubt that the Brewers have separate testing and suspensions from all of major league baseball for steroids. I am going to guess that this would be something else.

Edit: nevermind, The article implys this is a Baseball suspension and not a Brewers one.

Extremely disappointed is all I can say.

His chances of ever making it just diminished a lot. Not sure what he could have been thinking. It's very disappointing to see such a talent wasted. He probably has to repeat at Brevard now. Basically a full year without catching now. Won't really matter if his bat is ready if his Defense isn't.

could it just mean he was out partying and took some cocaine or something?

I'm fairly sure it could be anything. Although, I'd rather it be steroids than cocaine like you so casually inquired about. It doesn't change his prospect status at all. He'll open 2008 in AA as one of the top catching prospects in the minors. However, he likely was going to find himself in AA within a few weeks anyways, so it sets him back, costs him some money, etc.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
He seems way too ripped for his size

You mean way too ripped for his height? I dunno....I've seen plenty of little guys at the gym that were just as big. I doubt all of them were on the juice. It is possible to get big without them.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When Salome's coach shared those pictures, I remembered that he proudly stated that Salome's physique was 100% natural, the byproduct of hard work. I'm sure coach will be just as disappointed as everyone else when he hears of this development.

I'm waiting to pass judgement until we (hopefully) hear more about this, but it is really hard not to be really disappointed.

I think he heard that Lindsay Lohan is going back to rehab, and wanted to get a head start.

Disappointing news from a guy that I have high hopes for. (I almost typed that I hope to hear his side of the story. In truth, I just want there to be a "his side of the story.")

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/salome2.jpg

OK, guys, so help us out -- we're about 10-14 days from a Power 50 update. If Angel was # 3 before (and by the way, Yovani will be graduating), where do you place Salome now? Would like to hear from you in this thread, thanks -- of course, we maintain the right to ignore your suggestions http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .

Archived