Brewer Fanatic

Following Inman and Garrison -- Latest: Garrison a big league New York Yankee!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yet another ugly start for Will Inman last night, who can't get through the 5th inning to save his life as of late. When has a season-long 3.20 ERA ever been more deceptive? Just a brutal couple of months for Will...

This is not top of the rotation numbers that made so many angry with last years trade. Looking like a 4th starter at best but still time is on his side. At this point Melvin has not lost on this trade.

This is not top of the rotation numbers that made so many angry with last years trade. Looking like a 4th starter at best but still time is on his side. At this point Melvin has not lost on this trade.

I would say Inman's last 2 months show him to be a relief pitcher not a starter. Unless he can learn to pitch to contact and make in past 5 innings in AA he does not even project as a MLB starter does he? I guess maybe a 5th starter. Mass is right his ERA is so deceptive right now as are his K/IP stats since it isn't as impressive in my mind to strike out guys if you are throwing that pitches to do it.

Inman pitched last night. I was at the game. Gave up 3 runs, and didn't have great defense behind him, and ended up leaving during the 3rd inning after getting hit hard by a comebacker. No update yet.

Box Score

UPDATE: Missions trainer Wade Yamasaki said the results of pitcher Will Inman's X-rays on his left thumb were negative for a break or fracture.

Inman, who suffered the injury after being hit Thursday, is questionable for his next start.

Edit: Thanks for the update!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Garrison shut down: Starter Steve Garrison will miss the rest of the season is because of a strained rotator cuff.

He finishes the year with a 7-7 record and 3.82 ERA.

"(Garrison) has had shoulder discomfort," Missions manager Bill Masse said. "He's a young kid, so rather than take a chance with a 21-year-old kid, the Padres decided to shut him down."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Link

Double-A left-hander Steve Garrison, rated in June by Towers as perhaps the Padres' best pitching prospect, had surgery to his rotator cuff and might not return before June, said Grady Fuson, director of scouting and development.

The link also discusses labrum and rotator cuff surgery for former Brewer reliever Mike Adams, with a very optimistic, if not realistic, return timetable.

Too bad for Steve, here's hoping for a successful recovery.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It does seem like a lot of recently-traded players have been hurt, but I don't really think it's that far outside the norm, considering the sheer number of prospects we've sent away. As brewer fans we're accustomed to watching our best pitching prospects go down with injuries one after another - it's unlikely that the situation is much different for other organizations.

The upside is that most GMs seem to be overvaluing prospects a bit nowadays, treating top-tier ones as near-sure things, and I think Melvin really took advantage of that climate in his trades this past season. As long as you're trading for true top-tier players (the CC's of the world, not the Linebrink's) you have a good chance of coming out ahead if you only give prospects. Oddly, this overvaluing probably makes the organization's drafting and development all the more important, so you always have guys to spare.

In any case, i'll second the motion wishing Steve a quick recovery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Really looks like no one is a winner in this trade. Melvin did what he thought was right and as the seasons go by it looks like the Inman is far from the guy that a lot of people thought he was. He needs to rebound next year or he will be looking at being a long time minor leaguer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived