Brewer Fanatic

Following Inman and Garrison -- Latest: Garrison a big league New York Yankee!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In his latest start Thursday night, Steve Garrison was hit by a line drive off his pitching forearm in the second inning -- while he finished the inning, he came out of the game and is day-to-day.

A record-breaking number of Brewer farmhands on the Hot Sheet this week, coming in at numbers 3, 4, 11, 12, and 13.

Oh wait, check that, it's only 11, 12 and 13 -- you'll see how I could have been confused.

Dude, you really have a man crush on these guys. Let it go. They are Padres now...or San Antonio Stinkers or whatever.

All I have tried to do with the 2008 portion of this thread is update folks on pitching lines. I have refrained from political comment on the deal for the most part -- sure, a few exclamation points or such when warranted, but no diatribes. I had a little fun with the latest Baseball America Hot Sheet post, because, heck, nobody else was going to bring that to everyone's attention, anyway, right? Yeah, right.

So now, to make the bobskube's of the world happy, this thread will be closed. You folks know where to look up these guys should you wish.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Well, that didn't take long. I appreciate a somewhat overwhelming private message response to me to keep this thread open.

It was the type of trade that Brewer fans had not seen in many years, and is worth our continued review.

As I noted in my prior post, I will continue to try to avoid grandstanding on any position concerning the trade and stick to the pitching lines, something I think we've been able to do for several months.

I guess over 11,000 thread views indicates an interest.

For those not interested, simply avoid the thread, thanks.

Thanks for re-opening the thread Maas Haas. Even though everyone seems to be either all in or all out on this one, its been really fun to follow, and I'm guessing it will continue to be for years. If anything, it will be educational.

Eh, I suppose I should just get over it. Colby likes Dykstra, and not every "bloodlines" pick is an overdraft (just most of them).

Jack Z has had phenomal success with bloodline picks. There hasn't been a single bust yet, and some great success's, and it looks like more are coming. Dykstra is a great athlete (IIRC, he won the athletic skills compitition at the Area Code Games, over guys like Aaron Hicks) and his stock should be on the rise just because he is a Jack Z bloodlines pick.

For those out there that say Inman won't be a great pro, I would like to see a comparison of his minor league stats to Gallardo's. Gallardo may project to be a better pro (#1 or #2), but I think Inman will be a solid #3 or #4 if not higher.

Luis Martinez had awesome stats until he hit the bigs too. I like Inman, but stats only tell half the story. San Diego only believes in stats now, but they've been a wreck since the change in philosophy. Then the the matter of Inmans past medical history, which the Brewers know better than anybody. Until Inman proves he can handle a starters workload without breaking down, he profiles closer to Matt Herges or Heath Bell than a #3 starter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Obviously, Steve Garrison getting hit on the forearm last time out was a non-issue. What a season.

I guess one way of looking at things is to ask if there is a single starting pitcher anywhere in the Brewer farm chain who is having as good a season as Steve or Will. And your answer would be...well, there you go.

Don't shoot the messenger, just getting folks to think a bit....

Last time I looked Garrison was leading the league in SOs and Inman was 4th or 5th.

edit. Oops, had them flip flopped... Inman is leading the league and Garrison is 5th.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Will Inman with a really bizarre line tonight -- only two hits and one run allowed with nine K's, but because he also walked five, he only went four innings.

In his last three starts, covering only 13.1 innings, Inman has walked 12. In his last 11 starts, he has only worked 54.2 innings. That's only averaging just under five innings a start since May 16th, and that's just not getting it done at all, despite an ERA of 3.95 in that stretch.

Will Inman with a really bizarre line tonight -- only two hits and one run allowed with nine K's, but because he also walked five, he only went four innings.

In his last three starts, covering only 13.1 innings, Inman has walked 12. In his last 11 starts, he has only worked 54.2 innings. That's only averaging just under five innings a start since May 16th, and that's just not getting it done at all, despite an ERA of 3.95 in that stretch.

This is what concerned me about Inman. Seems to burn a lot of pitches. This is at AA too. Still thinks he tops out at #4/5 starter.

Will Inman. Today, Inman provided a great lesson in the value of observation versus stats. He's had solid performance lines in his four professional season, and the stats make him look like a midrotation prospect. In person, he's…awkward. I'm not sure how you get to the third-highest level of your profession and still do things the way Inman does, but he has. He has the longest arm action I can remember seeing, the kind of motion you cringe while watching. It also should leave him very exposed to lefthanded hitters. I could see him as a Jeff Nelson reliever, which limits his innings and lets him chew up righties. Anything else…unlikely.

I can't emphasize what an eye-opener this was. I'm not going to sit here and say that performance analysis is invalid and I'm headed over to start a Web site devoted to the advancement of scouts, but the gap between what a player does and how he does it-and what that means for his future-was really put into stark relief by watching Inman.

It's just one person's opinion....but I found it to be quite interesting.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link includes audio of the play --

Inman suffers foot bruise in latest start
By Alan Friedman / Special to MLB.com

The San Antonio Missions got a scare during Tuesday's win over Frisco when star hurler Will Inman was hit on the foot by a line drive on his first pitch of the game.

The Frisco RoughRiders' leadoff hitter Julio Borbon ripped a liner off the inside of Inman's left foot and reached first on an infield single.

Inman stayed in the game and loaded the bases with two outs on a pair of walks, but he fanned Justin Majewski to end the threat. The right-hander left the game afterward and went for X-rays, which were negative.

"[inman] wanted to finish the first inning," Missions manager Bill Masse said. "I thought it was worse than it was because the ball hit him on a line without hitting the ground. ... It's just a bruise and he should be fine for his next start [sunday against Midland]."

Inman, who pitched a perfect fifth inning in Sunday's Futures Game at Yankee Stadium, came into Tuesday's contest with an 8-4 record and a 3.02 ERA. He is believed to be one of the players USA Baseball has under consideration for the Summer Olympics in Beijing.

The Missions rallied in the top of the ninth on Mike Baxter's two-run homer for a 4-3 victory.

Inman still has aways to go before he proves that the Brewers should have not included in trade last year. Many prospects have burned out or topped out after a couple of great seasons in the minors. Now Inman is going through some struggles, he might right the ship shortly and get back on track, but there is still AAA in front of him.

Brewers could once again be looking for an arm in the pen this season, then we would see what type of price they pay once again for help.

Inman is averaging under five innings per start this year. 21 starts and 103.2 innings pitched. That just is not getting it done. It would be one thing if they were trying to limit his innings or something but his pitch count is always pretty high by then. It may be why people are projecting his as a reliever, although fly-ball pitchers who have a tendency to walk guys are not really the greatest late inning guys. He could just be in a rough patch but there definitely are some red flags with him right now.

While true he's not been economical with his pitches, he was still leading the league in K's, it's not as though his season has been poor statistically.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

For those Inman bashers, Frederickson can't find the strike zone at this point and is Kelly Wunsch junior to this point. Give me Garrison and Inman over Cutter and K Jr.

They got Frederickson, Dykstra and three months of Linebrink if you're going to look at it that way. Not that Linebrink was anything great, but just trying to be fair.

For those Inman bashers, Frederickson can't find the strike zone at this point and is Kelly Wunsch junior to this point. Give me Garrison and Inman over Cutter and K Jr.

Frederickson is just getting professional coaching so there is a chance he will get and start throwing strikes. Right now he is going through a huge adjustment in life off the diamonds as well, some players take longer than others.

Garrison is a guy that I still think has a chance to be something big when it comes to the majors.Inman leading the league in Ks is great but how will this help him when he gets to the next level when the batters are better and swing less at balls? Inman should be going getting intot he 6th on most starts and be building up his stamina not just striking out players and being done by the 5th. Ryan "Space Needle" Anderson use to K a bunch but could not last 5 IPs, and what happened to him?

Archived