Brewer Fanatic

Following Inman and Garrison -- Latest: Garrison a big league New York Yankee!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin Goldstein profiled the NL West in an article on baseballprospectus.com and had this tidbit about Inman and Garrison:

Left-hander Steve Garrison and righty Will Inman, both acquired in last summer's Scott Linebrink trade, are both pitching well for the Missions, and one scout who recently evaluated the pair thought that both will be successful in the majors, although on a somewhat limited level. "Inman is just so unusual," said the scout. "He's a fly-ball pitcher with a funky arm angle and a funky breaking ball, and it's all just kind of weird. I don't like him as a starter--just too many balls up and flat--but he'd be great for their bullpen in that park." As for Garrision, the scout gave him a slightly higher grade when it came to upside. "Like Inman, he's not overpowering, but he's big-league worthy," the scout continued. "I could see him starting or relieving, really. The fastball is average, but the other stuff is pretty good, and he's got plenty of feel, command, athleticism and aggressiveness." A concise conclusion: "They're not phenomenal, but they're good."

I was at the Missions game last night, and Garrison was the SP. Thought I'd give yous guys an update as to how he looked. The game he pitched was good. I was impressed with how he was hitting the corners and moving the ball around really well, keeping the hitters off balance. He only gave up 5 hits, 1 walk, and had 6 Ks through 6 innings. It was a pitchers' duel for most of the game until a guy launched a triple with guys on first and second. I'm hoping to get to more games this summer, especially when Inman and Garrison are pitching and I will try to keep yous guys informed.

Will Inman breaks a string of four poor starts with a seven-inning complete game victory.

Took a look at the boxscore and was funny to see Stavisky and Corey Smith in the lineup. Smith still has not figured it out, and the Indians are still looking for a 3B. Stavisky was a solid propsect coming out of the draft but has yet to do enougth.

Scouting report on Inman says he is more likely to be a reliever, so still not sold Brewers gave up too much.

If I did my math right, the players chosen with the Linebrink picks are Evan Frederickson and Cutter Dykstra.

To properly evaluate the trade, as these players develop, it's: Garrison, Inman and Thatcher for Frederickson, Dykstra and two months of Linebrink.

the players chosen with the Linebrink picks are Evan Frederickson and Cutter Dykstra.

Ouch -- the only two early round picks this year I really didn't like. Can we just pretend that Odorizzi was a Linebrink comp pick and Frederickson was a Cordero comp pick? Since it doesn't really matter anyway?

Eh, I suppose I should just get over it. Colby likes Dykstra, and not every "bloodlines" pick is an overdraft (just most of them). Perhaps they will succeed where others have failed and teach Frederickson to throw a strike every once in awhile. Still, not liking the odds of this trade looking great in retrospect 5 years from now.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Not to be outdone by his former Brewer system buddy, Will Inman won his 8th game tonight, moved his ERA under 3.00, and oh, struck out 11 himself tonight.

If you're reading this post, then you've been following this thread with interest.

If Will and Steve were posting their numbers this year as teammates at Huntsville, where would you rank each on the current pre-draft version of the Power 50?

Remember, Inman was positioned to be # 1 when Manny Parra graduated.

Here's Garrison's own P50 history before the July '07 trade.

off the top of my head

Inman would be 3 or 4 on my list, his struggles last year would have dented him some and LaPorta and Gamel are just studs.

Garrison... mid to low teens probably? He's right there with Iribarren, Cain, and Gindl... I would think Brewer is going to start to nose dive since he's been unable to get any part of his game going this year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

i don't know how many here check out depodesta's blog at all but he posted recently about the daddy's aa rotation and thus had some comments on both will and steve that were pretty interesting. he was all like, "i can't believe we fleeced that loony canadian melvin soooooo bad..."

Brewer Fanatic Staff
If I did my math right, the players chosen with the Linebrink picks are Evan Frederickson and Cutter Dykstra.

To properly evaluate the trade, as these players develop, it's: Garrison, Inman and Thatcher for Frederickson, Dykstra and two months of Linebrink.

This was posted a few posts above your inquiry, thanks...

whoops, sorry looks I missed the discussion on this. thanks mass. I like Lintz more than Dykstra and probably makes the parts easier to match up if you compare it that way. Fredrickson has looked good early but I would love to still have either Garrison or Inman. I am okay with having lost one of them, but both is tough. Hopefully Ordozzi, Fredrickson, and Lintz pitch well and soften the blow of losing them both

I hated this trade in 2007 and hate it even more in 2008. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Melvin was blind when he made the trade. Right before the trade Linebrink was struggling. Add the fact is wife was expecting, there is no way anyone could have expected him to add a great deal. Then Melvin gives up the top RHP in the system and one of the top (if not the top) LHP in the system.

For those out there that say Inman won't be a great pro, I would like to see a comparison of his minor league stats to Gallardo's. Gallardo may project to be a better pro (#1 or #2), but I think Inman will be a solid #3 or #4 if not higher. And the people that say at least the Brewers recieved picks, Fredrickson is older than both Inman and Garrison and at least 2 years behind them. Any high school pitcher is at least 3 years more likely 4 years behind. Bottom line is this was one of the worst trades if not the worst in Brewer history!!

Now with the thought that Sheets could be gone next year it would be nice to have Inman and Garrison around to compete for that #5 spot in the rotation.

People always question Yost but what exactly has Melvin done that is so incredible? The majority of the talent on the roster was drafted by Jack Z. and a number of them were before Melvin was hired. Melvin can't even take credit for hiring Jack Z. He was hired by Taylor.

how about that time he traded a speedy outfielder who is currently a backup for that one who just signed a 100 million dollar contract. scotty p has a career ops/+ of .712/85 carlos lee's are .841/115. right before carlos lee signed that contract we traded him. (boo to him! he took 52 million more to play for someone else!) i think we got back cordero. who closed out a few games for us and then signed a pretty lucrative contract himself. if garrison or inman ever have lasting success at the major league level i'll be very interested to see their home/road splits. the linebrink trade still is exactly what it was then. a gamble for a shot at the postseason. did it work out? not exactly. the only problem i have with it is i think inman could have netted us more than a late inning guy but at that point he had only been at aa a short time and struggled in his first couple outings so maybe that perception is off.

Archived