Brewer Fanatic

Following Inman and Garrison -- Latest: Garrison a big league New York Yankee!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will Inman pitched better than Scott Linebrink tonight, but not a special effort:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2007_08_28_mroaax_sanaax_1

My question is when does Inman get shut down?

At 153 innings already he is about 2 starts over when you would normally think he would be shut down.

He pitched 110 innings last season. At 20 years old you would think that they would keep with the pattern of trying to add 25-30 innings per year. Well that limit would be 135-140.

He probably has 1 more regular season scheduled start and the missions are in the hunt for the AA playoffs. If they make the playoffs he could potetially get 1-3 more additional starts and end up with 170-175 innings on his arm this year.

I hope the Padres shut him down soon. He had a hell of a year and would be a shame to be that reckless with a talent such as Will Inman

Joe Thatcher's numbers with San Diego, where he continues to get regular work:

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=491159

Will Inman isn't listed in the Texas League playoff preview for San Antonio's rotation, nor did he appear in the prior series -- he may have been shut down for the season, perhaps innings (159.1 after 110.2 last season) an issue.

Steve Garrison's team rallied to take him off the hook in the California League finals Thursday (Garrison didn't retire any of the six batters he faced in the fifth -- one error), and Lake Elsinore's now just one win shy of a championship:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2007_09_13_sjgafa_lesafa_1&t=g_box&did=milb

By the way, Steve Garrison's Lake Elsinore club lost the final game of their championship series last week.

This article from the Padres' site was also from last week, on Joe Thatcher. He's had a wonderful 15 games in San Diego, ERA 0.64:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070912&content_id=2204677&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Thanks for the update -- that's what I get for not reviewing those West Coast box scores first thing -- Linebrink has had enough successful and/or lucky outings that my initial disgust over the trade has abated some, but I still dread reviewing the deal five years from now.

• 2 weeks later...

From Manatees GM Buck Rogers:

Buck, what was your most memorable moment of this past season?

I don't know if you're referring to baseball action or overall, but I'd say being in the clubhouse delivering some mail just before game time when Steve Garrison walked in from John Tamargo's office after being told he was traded to the San Diego Padres organization. That was very emotional. Forget all the wins and losses and champagne and t-shirts.the guys saying their goodbyes to Steve - some of them in tears while hugging him - was a pretty memorable scene. And showing how classy he was, he went to home plate a few moments later and accepted the Florida State League Pitcher of the Week honors and then told everybody he was proud to have been a member of the Brewers organization and would like to thank them for the opportunity. He wished the team good luck in the playoffs. He then went thru the stands and thanked fans for their support. That was my most memorable moment of the 2007 season. I wish I would've had it on video, but it was spur of the moment, totally unexpected. For every athlete out their that yanks your chain like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Barry Bonds, etc., there is a guy like Steve Garrison doing it right who'll never get recognized for it. That's something that the Brewers instill in their players and that mentality branches out throughout the organization.

Thanks for sharing that, Buck -- Jim.

• 1 month later...

Baseball America has listed the Top 10 Padre Prospects:

1. Chase Headley, 3b
2. Matt Antonelli, 2b
3. Matt Latos, rhp
4. Wade LeBlanc, lhp
5. Drew Miller, rhp
6. Steve Garrison, lhp
7. Will Inman, rhp
8. Cedric Hunter, of
9. Nick Schmidt, lhp
10. Kyle Blanks, 1b

When bullpen stalwart Scott Linebrink started to slip, Towers shrewdly traded him to the Brewers for lefty Steve Garrison and righty Will Inman, both of whom cracked this Top 10 list, and lefty Joe Thatcher, who had a 1.29 ERA in 22 big league games.

Sigh...

One trade and a boat-load of draft picks has suddenly taken the Padres organization from the bottom of the heap to the middle of the pack.

Although I will say that Inman's prospect status doesn't seem to be the same now as it was a year ago. Being ranked seventh in the Padres seventh now versus third in the Brewers system at this time last year is a big difference. The shorter RHP stigma seems to be wrecking havoc on his once brightly shining star, although he did experience his first tastes of failure for the most part at the AA despite pitching pretty well overall.

It's funny now Melvin is being labeled as some as conservative despite making one of the most aggressive trades of the year. Unfortunately the Linebrink playoff push move didn't work, but that subject has been beaten to death, but imagine what the club might be able to do this offseason if they still had those three pieces to work with.

From today's BA chat (it's only one question despite being subscriber content...I don't think BA would be upset about this):

Skelly from Madison asks: Could you provide a little insight as to why Will Inman was rated where he was? I understand he struggled in Double-A, but he was one of the youngest pitchers in Double-A this year.

Matt Eddy: Inman locates his fastball exceedingly well. The pitch is true, though, and Inman just doesn't have the secondary stuff to get away with that at higher levels. He's also tired badly in the second half in each of the past two seasons, his fastball dipping into the mid-80s late in 2007. The thinking goes that movement and velocity play best in the big leagues, and Inman projects more as a back-end starter because he rates as below-average in both regards.

I remember last year there was a study at BaseballAnalysts (or the Hardball Times, or one of those stat-driven blogs/fan-sites that likes to take a peak at the minors from time to time) that broke down the four quadrants of pitching between strikeouts and groundball/flyouts. Gallardo and Inman both were two of the higher strikeout pitchers in all of the minors, but while Gallardo had one of the better groundball ratios, putting him in the best possible quadrant, Inman was in the quadrant below him and one of the more extreme pitchers with a high strikeout K and oddly high flyball rate that was reminiscent of Yusmeiro Petit.

I bring up Petit because he too was a shorter RHP with marginal stuff that also allowed a lot of flyouts while racking up a ton of Ks during his progression to the big leagues. He too has had a few bumps along the road in the upper levels and in the big-leagues, but he's still just 23 years old and still carries some promise.

Archived