Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 7/30 - LaPorta Opens Career with a Bang

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Adam Pettyjohn at home vs. Sacramento (A's), 6:45 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Audio link:

www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/

Huntsville: LHP Lindsay Gulin at home vs. Chattanooga (Reds), 6:50 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Audio link:

www.huntsvillestars.com/

Brevard County: TBD at St. Lucie (Mets), 5:50 PM pre-game, 6:00 gametime

Audio link (game will also archive at this link):

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...p;sid=t503

West Virginia: RHP Alex Periard at Columbus (Devil Rays), 5:50 PM pre-game, 6:00 gametime

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Helena: LHP Bobby Bramhall makes his first start (fifth appearance) at home vs. Missoula (Diamondbacks), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

www.minorleaguebaseball.c.../audio.jsp

Arizona: TBD at home in Maryvale vs. the Padres' kids, 7:00 PM local time in Arizona, 9:00 Central; never any audio for Arizona Rookie League games

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Monday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Window". Open the Nashville Gameday. For the others, choose "Log". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

Nashville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_hunaax_1

Brevard County:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...a_sluafa_1

West Virginia:

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...x_clmafx_1

Helena:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...k_helrok_1

Arizona:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...k_brrrok_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

These links will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds and/or Huntsville Stars are scheduled to play. Normally they are updated an hour or two prior to gametime, with Nashville's usually earlier:

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.nashvillesounds.com/pdf/notes.pdf

Huntsville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

www.huntsvillestars.com/i...eNotes.pdf

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Standings through Sunday's action:

Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nashville 65 43 .602 - 35-17 30-26 L2 Iowa 60 49 .550 5.5 34-22 26-27 W1 Omaha 53 56 .486 12.5 33-18 20-38 W1 Memphis 45 64 .413 20.5 25-33 20-31 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chattanooga 21 16 .568 - 11-9 10-7 L1 Huntsville 21 16 .568 - 11-6 10-10 W1 Tennessee 19 18 .514 2.0 14-6 5-12 W5 Carolina 17 20 .459 4.0 9-8 8-12 L1 West Tenn 15 22 .405 6.0 8-14 7-8 L2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Florida State League (A+) - FSL East Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 20 15 .571 - 10-7 10-8 L1 Jupiter 17 17 .500 2.5 9-6 8-11 L2 Palm Beach 16 19 .457 4.0 8-12 8-7 W1 Daytona 16 20 .444 4.5 8-11 8-9 W2 St. Lucie 14 22 .389 6.5 5-12 9-10 L1 Vero Beach 9 25 .265 10.5 4-13 5-12 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Atlantic League (A) - SAL Northern Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hickory 23 14 .622 - 15-9 8-5 L2 Lake County 19 16 .543 3.0 8-8 11-8 W2 Lakewood 19 16 .543 3.0 10-5 9-11 W1 Lexington 18 19 .486 5.0 12-10 6-9 L1 West Virginia 18 19 .486 5.0 10-9 8-10 W1 Delmarva 17 19 .472 5.5 5-11 12-8 W1 Greensboro 17 20 .459 6.0 12-7 5-13 L1 Hagerstown 10 26 .278 12.5 5-11 5-15 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pioneer League (R+) - PIO North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Billings 0 0 - - 0-0 0-0 - Great Falls 0 0 - - 0-0 0-0 - Helena 0 0 - - 0-0 0-0 - Missoula 0 0 - - 0-0 0-0 -

Arizona League Standings:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...;period=h2

Actually, the Manatees Radio Network will up and running for the series against the Mets. MILB was informed incorrectly and they are aware that the Network will be there.

Sorry for any confusion

EDIT: OK, Daily Menu has been adjusted. -- Jim

Sweet thanks Pogo.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena Press Release:

First-Rounder LaPorta in Helena

Former University of Florida Star Matt LaPorta with the Brewers

Helena - The Milwaukee Brewers announced the addition of their first-round selection Matt LaPorta to the Helena roster on Monday. LaPorta was the seventh overall selection in the 2007 amateur draft out of the University of Florida. As a Gator, he was twice named Southeastern Conference Player of the Year.

LaPorta had spent the last three weeks rehabbing a leg injury at the Brewers? minor league facility in Maryvale, AZ. He is currently expected to be day-to-day in Helena while the athletic training staff continues to evaluate and treat him. There is no specific timetable for LaPorta?s professional debut, but he will be in uniform on Monday versus the Missoula Osprey at Kindrick Field.

The Port Charlotte, FL native batted .402 for Florida in 2007 with 20 homers and knocked in 52 runs for the Gators. The 6?2?, 216 lb. LaPorta is currently the all-time leader at the University of Florida with 74 career home runs.

The Brewers begin a three-game series versus the Missoula Osprey on Monday at Kindrick Field to open the second half of the schedule. The Brewers won the first half with a 26-12 mark and have secured a spot in the playoffs in September. All games can be heard on KCAP 1340 AM or www.helenabrewers.net.

Late Update:

Matt LaPorta is indeed in tonight's Helena starting lineup -- nice!

Awesome news... I think I'm the mood for some Helena tonight.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

without ever seeing him take an AB, let me go on record as saying he cant get to the bigs soon enough. My hope is for 1 or 2 games at each level and a mid-August callup. Anything to get Jenchkins off the field.

LaPorta tonight facing his former Gators teammate, Bryan Augenstein. The announcers mentioned that LaPorta put on a show in BP today. Certainly an exciting day, especially since there is no Brewers game this evening.

Pogo, thanks in advance for your thoughts on the Power, but I'm hoping you got a good look at Jeremy Hellickson as well. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on him too.

Jeremy Hellickson looks like a 12 year old...

He brings it about 92 and he comes inside a whole lot...he looked pretty similar to Alex Periard actually...

Tonight go me thinking a lot about Will Inman...Will k'ed a lot of guys, but stuff wise he wasn't dramatically different from either of the two starters tonight...i really wanted him to be Roy Oswalt, but he wasn't at that level...

That said...it was fun watching both the starters...

The Power had Hellickson's number in the 1st and second, hitting the ball really hard and draawing some walks...but after he settled down, he started fooling them. Steve Chapman in particular had a harrd time laying off the high heat, but he certainly wasnt the only one...

Periard alsso throws 90-91 most of the time and topped out at 92 (as always, i made sure it was a stalker gun)...

Alex's fastball tails away...it almost looked like a screwball...this was pretty cool to watch, and it definitely jammed a bunchaa guys...he broke a bat or two during the night as well...He works slowly and when he gets out of rhythm, it seems like it takes him a batter or two to get it back...He didn't strike out a bunch of guys, but i can definitely see the potential ...

His Breaking baall came in aroud 76-77, which gives him a good differential, although not a devastating one like Jeffress...he didn't throw the offspeed stuff very much...he mainly threw the fastball...John Curtis went out and talked to him for a while at one point in the fifth...i wonder if they see him as a bit of a project...i'd say he's the kind of guy that could "get it" and start striking out a guy an inning at any moment...pretty exciting...

Brent Brewer's bat looked even better than early in the year tonight...he's very quick through the zone...however, he made a couple of blunders at short tonight that showed he doesn't have natural instincts over there...

Andrew Lefave is very good at hitting...i'm clueeless as to why he hasn't been moved up...he's not a big guy...perhaps that's why...

anyway, there'll be videos of periard pitching, and Chapman, Brewer, Lefave, and Green batting up later tonight if my internet doesnt crap out...

i'll be at the ballpark at least once more this weeek, so i'll take notes and tell you guys about it then...

i sure do hope Laporta gets moved tonight http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was hoping Periard threw a bit harder, but that's not bad. I like guys who's fastball moves, but it sounds like he'll have to refine his breaking stuff as he moves up? Also how well did he locate?

- Plato

- Plato

I was hoping Periard threw a bit harder, but that's not bad.

Keep in mind that he threw about 6-7 MPH slower when they drafted him 3+ years ago. He has a decent frame, hasn't pitched a ton in his life, and could well add another 2-3 MPH later on. And while he still needs work on his offspeed stuff, it isn't a huge worry right now. He's not a front-line prospect, but still has very good stuff and could blossom in the near future. I'm very, very high on Alexandre.

What a start for LaPorta. That's Fielder-esque.

Thanks for the thoughts overall pogo, but especially on Hellickson. I had a chance to see him a couple of times when he was in high school, and now that I have seen both of them, he reminds me now (at least my memory of him) of Tim Lincecum. Smaller and slighter with electric stuff. Obviously according to your report he doesn't have Lincecum's stuff, but I have seen him up to 95 with a pretty wicked breaking pitch. Your comment about his age is dead-on, as he'll probably be 40+ years old and people will still make comments about how it looks like he's never shaved a day in his life (and not because of a giant beard or anything like that).

Looking forward to the videos. I know you were relatively inspired by Brewer's play at SS earlier this season. Did his performance tonight change that opinion at all? I personally never thought he was a long-term SS, so again, I'm curious to get your thoughts on him defensively.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: St. Lucie (Mets) 5, Brevard County 1

Brevard County Box Score:

Nothing against Brae Wright, but why haven't we seen Chris Cody in two weeks?! Darren Ford 2-for-4 -- he had quietly slipped to the .250's at high-A; Mike Bell his 11th HR before August 1st in the Florida State League -- y'know something, that's mighty impressive; he's only got 56 AB's between West Virginia and Brevard this season, but this Anderson Delarosa kid is intriguing as a C/OF; not a strong Brewer organization debut for LHP Rusty Tucker, a former 40-man roster member of the Padres and White Sox; RHP Travis Wendte with a nice high-A debut -- it was Wright's Manatee debut as well...

Brevard County Game Log:

Chris Errecart's bases-loaded double play in the first got the evening off to an ominous start; notice how Brae Wright induced a GIDP of his own to help his cause in the bottom of the inning; Manatees wasted another big chance in the 3rd...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

PORT ST. LUCIE ? New York Mets pitcher Pedro Martinez announced Monday that he will start Wednesday night for the St. Lucie Mets at home vs. the Brevard County Manatees.

Martinez, who threw a side session off flat ground at Tradition Field on Monday, said he expects to throw 45 pitches and could have another start with St. Lucie. The three-time Cy Young Award winner had rotator cuff surgery in October after going 9-8 with a 4.48 ERA last season.

Video: Pedro Martinez Press Conference

here's the first two videos:

Brent Brewer hits a double

Andrew Lefave takes a cut...

As for Brewer's defensive play...he just made mental mistakes that were costly...he's a bigger guy and there's certainly no grace in his movement...For example, he essentially broke up a double play he and Brad Miller were turning because he ran in front of miller, impeading his ability to throw to first...basically, he couldn't slow down...on the play before that, he was just unable to get the ball out of his glove..

i still think he'll stick as a ss...but he'll never be great...

Archived