Brewer Fanatic

Update on Sarfate's Injury

JJHardy7
The guys in the bullpen last night (Steve Bray and Vinny Rottino) said that Sarfate has been told not to throw at all for 4 to 5 days and he will then be looked at once again, but it doesn't not appear that he tore anything -- this was the update in the eighth inning.

His problem isn't his stuff, it's his control... why would he resign Milwaukee after 7 years, and why would Milwaukee want him back? A change of scenery might be just the trick. I'm all for giving a guy his chances, but the only respectable stat he has is ERA, which won't be sustainable with such a high WHIP in the majors. He's got a fantastic live arm, good breaking pitch, but lacks pinpoint control. I just don't see how he fits in.

I don't see them releasing him, he's not horrid by any stretch. I just don't see why they'd want to resign him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have some information about the injury.

Dennis pulled a "right chest" muscle, so the injury isn't arm related. It sounds like the report of Dennis not throwing for the next four or five days is accurate, and it doesn't sound too serious. Hopefully Dennis will rejoin the bullpen at the end of the week.

What ever Dennis' future might be with Milwaukee, I doubt that the Brewers would release him this year. There isn't any sort of roster crunch in Milwaukee or Nashville, so releasing him doesn't make any sense.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I think there are enough teams that will give him a shot in their bullpen. As mentioned in this post, a change might be good for him, but I've always been a Sarfate fan and maybe it will still work out.

It's interesting how fast the injury news traveled from the clubhouse and then to the bullpen (I was sitting fourth row so I could hear all kinds of conversations). There was one good one involving Bray and Hackman debating who will get called up, what the Brewers need, etc.

Dennis will be a very popular minor league FA, his velocity and slider are both MLB ready, but his control is terrible. He's a "stuff" guy, those guys always get the most attention, compared to a Steve Bray, "had success but have average stuff" fellas.

his velocity and slider are both MLB ready

this is news to me. All reports I've read have him as another Jose Capellan, except he throws a touch harder. So basically that's 93-96 mph, iffy breaking pitch. IE, just one pitch, a relatively straight fastball, that is often a struggle to throw for strikes

I like him and I think he could have a career, but I wouldn't use a 40 man roster spot on him, and someone will sign him.

He's had enough time to develop command of his pitches, and hasn't.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like him and I think he could have a career, but I wouldn't use a 40 man roster spot on him, and someone will sign him.

If you mean this year, right now, there isn't any reason to remove him from the 40-man roster. There isn't a roster crunch and his arm is still good enough to pitch in the majors and have success. He is still an option to pitch in Milwaukee this year if needed, although based upon the call-ups to date that doesn't seem too likely.

If you mean next year, simply keeping him on the 40-man roster won't be good enough. He's out of options, so it's 25-man roster or bust with regard to Milwaukee. If there isn't room in Milwaukee, I think he'll find opportunities someplace else.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived