Brewer Fanatic

Alumni Update: Latest -- Dana Eveland, Matt Mieske

Mass Haas

Russell Branyan was signed to a minor-league contract by Cleveland.

Royce Clayton was released by Toronto.

Julio Franco cleared waivers and was assigned to Single-A Rome by Atlanta.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Gerry Oakes, (now 25, he was dealt away in the Matt Kinney trade way back when), has been released by the Giants. He must have an amazing arm, because he has cycled through five affiliated organizations now, while consistently posting horrendous numbers, particularly when it comes to control (263 walks in 287 IP):

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/Gerry-Oakes.shtml

Steve Palazzolo, the 6-10 pitcher who spent time here in WV and Helena in 2006 is pitching for the Nashua Pride in the Can-Am league. Here are his stats through August 8 6-2 with a 2.61 ERA in 31 games...38 IP with 34 hits 14BB and 43 K's. This guys is as hard a workers as I have seen pass through Charleston, and think the Brewers should have given this guy a better look this spring!

• 2 weeks later...
I remember being angry we didn't hold on to Javier Valentin. I'm still a little miffed. What did we get for him? Jason Conti? In my only moment of radio quoteability, I said about him, "Jason Conti? Who is that?"

We had Javier Valentin the Reds catcher? I don't remember that at all.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Came over along with Matt Kinney from the Twins -- he was out of options, the Brewers couldn't squeeze him onto the Opening Day roster and traded him to the Devil rays for OF Jason Conti. He never appeared in a regular season game with Milwaukee.

Also among the September call-ups:

Brady Clark (Padres); Julio Franco (Braves); Jose Capellan (Tigers); Kane Davis (Phillies); Royce Clayton and Craig Breslow (Red Sox); and Chad Moeller (Dodgers).

By the way, what a bad pitching matchup in the Arizona/Colorado game tonight- Dessens v. Eveland. Dessens rocked in the 2nd, 7 runs in 1.1 innings, Eveland did a bit better lasting until the 3rd- 5 runs in 2.2.

A couple more September callups include a couple of journeymen with their 10th organization, Sal Fasano (Blue Jays) and Dan Serafini (Rockies). Serafini will make his first major-league appearance since 2003 after not playing in 2004 and playing in Japan in 2005-06. Serafini pitched in 9 games with Brewers AAA affiliate Indianapolis in 2001; Fasano played 34 games there in 2002 before being included in the Alex Ochoa-Pedro Liriano deal with the Angels.

Wow, Matt Mieske. That's a name I haven't heard in a while.

At County Stadium my brother dropped a HR ball of his in the bleachers. It went right into his glove and he dropped it. I've never forgave him.

There's my Mieske story.

3TO Apostle

• 1 month later...

Archived