Brewer Fanatic

Alumni Update: Latest -- Dana Eveland, Matt Mieske

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rotoworld:

MLB suspended Phillies minor league RHP Matt Childers 50 games for violating the minor league drug and prevention treatment program.

Childers, 28, appeared in the majors with the Brewers in 2002 and the Braves in 2005. He had a 3.41 ERA for Triple-A Ottawa this season.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The following news tidbit was in the Boston RedSox notes:

"Former reliever Curtis Leskanic, who played for Colorado, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Boston, was named a pro scouting consultant."

Recent transactions include:

Chad Moeller, up and down between the Reds and AAA Louisville this year, is back with the Reds. His BA/OBP/SLG line so far in only 49 PA: .167/.167/.250

Wes Obermueller couldn't get the job done as a long reliever (8.86 ERA in 11 relief appearances; 6.56 ERA in 18 games and 56 innings overall) so he's been DFA by the Marlins.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

6'9" RHP Eric "Mega" Thomas has found work with the Reno (NV) Silver Sox of the independent Golden Baseball League.

Underachieving infielder Josh Murray was just placed on the disabled list of the Charlotte County Redfish of the independent South Coast League. He's hitting .221 with six home runs in 113 AB's this season.

Tigers optioned RHP Jose Capellan to Triple-A Toledo.

Capellan had allowed three runs and posted a 9/2 K/BB ratio in nine innings for the Tigers. Still, the Tigers chose Zach Miner and Macay McBride over him for now. If it came down to performance, Jason Grilli, who is out of options, would have gotten the boot.

EDIT: Text is from Rotoworld, please provide links or source, thanks.

Here's a link to the latest boxscore of Steve Palazzolo who the Brewers released after Spring Training this year. He has been playing for Nashua in the Can-Am league this season. If you remember, Steve was 6' 10" tall and I understand he has a team mate who is a 5' 6" Japanese pitcher....There's an interesting picture for you!

www.canamleague.com/2007s...r7270.html

"What RHP Robbie Wooley is up to"

I caught part of Wooley's first start with Sioux City on TV here in the Twin Cities as he pitched against the St Paul Saints- unfortunately it did not go too well with 10 baserunners and 6 ER in 3 innings.

Also pitching in that game was Jon Huizinga, who pitched for Milwaukee's Beloit affiliate in 2003.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Chris Saenz has signed with Reno of the independent Golden Baseball League.

LHP Wayne Franklin has been activated by York (PA) of the independent Atlantic League. The same team just sold OF Peter Bergeron's contract to the Pittsburgh Pirates' organization.

Whatever happened to Terry Trofholz, a former Beloit Snapper? I also wonder if his teammate, catcher Marks (forgot his first name) is still lingering around the Indy leagues? And is Krynzel really retired now?

Is Steve Moss retired too? I remember when I covered a Snappers game, I was in the locker room after a game to interview players and Don Money and Moss got into an argument outside his office. I wonder if that was the beginning of the end for him?

Sorry Mass, I guess I just lost track of all of the players after I covered them as a correspondent with the Beloit Daily News. I actually covered about five games for the Snappers the summer before Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks came into town. The players that I remember the most where Lou Palmisano, Greg Moreira, Luis Pena, Robby Deevers, Guilder Rodriguez and Brian Montalbo.

The most bizarre thing is that in one of my stories, I lead-off with Peoria outfielder Terry Evans throwing out Palmisano at the plate to end the game in extra innings and now Evans has had a cup of coffee with the LA Angels a couple times. He was traded for Jeff Weaver.

The two games that impressed me the most were of Moreira's and Montalbo's game. Although they both lost the game, they had decent stuff and command. Whatever happened to both of them? Moreira seemed like a nice guy to talk to also. When I went to a game as a "fan," he actually talked to me a lot since he wasn't pitching that day, I believe it was Luis Pena that pitched that game.

I actually know Vinnie Rottino a little bit, him and I both grew up in Racine. He is friends with a lot of friends I knew back in high school and everytime I went into the locker room, he was always the first guy I saw. Rottino always said, "What's up Racine guy, talk to Stephanie (his lady friend at the time) lately?"

hmm, the Red Sox are stockpiling major league vets at AAA. In the past week or so, they've picked up Brady Clark, Bobby Kielty, and Junior Spivey. I guess they are either making a run at the IL title (unlikely because the PawSox are 11 out), trying to shore up attendance (possibly, though I was under the impression that Pawtucket drew pretty well), or they are worried about depth going into the AL playoffs if they have an injury or two.

Archived