Brewer Fanatic

Alumni Update: Latest -- Dana Eveland, Matt Mieske

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rotoworld:

Padres released RHP Mike Adams.

Adams, a former Milwaukee reliever, had been on the Padres' 40-man roster since being acquired from the Indians for Brian Sikorski last July. He should clear waivers, and once he does, he might be re-signed to a minor league deal.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

More independent league updates (years in Brewer organization in parentheses):

INF Ralph Santana (2001-2003), traded from Sioux Falls of the American Association to Quebec of the Can-Am League.

RHP Dan Reichert (2004), traded from Nashua (Can-Am) to Atlantic City (Can-Am), and finally to Lincoln (American Association).

UT Elio Ayala (1998-2002) traded from Nashua (Can-Am) to Somerset (Atlantic League)

RHP Nic Slack (2003-2005) cleared waivers from Kansas City (Northern League) and is now a free agent.

C Clay Blevins (2004-2005) was released by Traverse City (Frontier League)

UPDATE: RHP Matt Hammons (2003) traded from St. Paul (American Association) to New Jersey (Can-Am)

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Nationals released LHP Luis Martinez.

Literally a couple of dozen or so of the players "signed" in the summary posts previously listed have been optioned or re-assigned to minor league camps with their respective organizations. A couple of weeks into the season, we'll have our usual "links for stats" alumni thread in place.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link for photo while active, text follows:

www.floridatoday.com/apps...002/SPORTS

Barnes makes rare pitch with Royals

Merritt Island High star switches from slugger to hurler

BY HILLARD GROSSMAN

FLORIDA TODAY

They say Justin Barnes' first word out of his mouth was "ball."

His next words could be "major leagues."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound relief pitcher, once a home-run threat at Merritt Island High and at Manatee Community College in Bradenton, has been training at the Kansas City Royals' spring camp in Surprise, Ariz.

"I have no idea where they'll send me from here," he said.

Last season, his first in the Royals' organization since being traded by the Milwaukee Brewers, he pitched for the High Desert Mavericks, a high Class A team that reached the California League playoffs.

He posted a 5-3 record with a 4.19 ERA as a middle reliever for pitching coach Steve Renko, a former Montreal Expos ace.

Maybe hitting coach Boots Day should have taken a closer look at how he handles a bat.

At Manatee, Barnes not only was a closer but also played shortstop and still holds the school's single-season home-run record (17).

"I live through my home run record," he said, laughing.

In high school, he also swung a big bat for coach Chuck Goldfarb's Mustangs, a team that included current minor leaguers Kevin Deaton and Jeff Howell, a catcher in the Royals' organization. In 2000, Barnes played on the state championship team.

He's now 24 and lives in Jacksonville with his girlfriend, Angela Widener, a former volleyball player at Palm Bay.

"Is she a baseball fan?" Barnes said. "I'm not sure. But she is a Justin Barnes fan."

His minor-league experience has been a balancing act between positives and negatives.

He started as a third baseman for a rookie-league team in Helena (Mont.) and batted .241 with five homers and 34 RBIs in 195 at-bats.

Perhaps realizing he likely could make the jump quicker to the major leagues, he became a pitcher the following year and struck out 55 batters and walked just nine in 40 2/3 innings. Suddenly, he found his other niche, sort of how Boston knuckleball pitcher Tim Wakefield did after he had set the home-run record at Florida Tech.

The next season, pitching for the West Virginia Power, a Class A team, Barnes moved to the bullpen and was virtually unhittable, going 9-2 with a 3.18 ERA while striking out 76 in 79 1/3 innings.

It was enough for Kansas City to come calling. The Royals traded 25-year-old pitching prospect Chris Demaria, who already had major-league experience, in exchange for Barnes.

In the Brewers' farm system, he played with standouts such as Ty Taubenheim, Carlos Villanueva and even Prince Fielder, a former star at Eau Gallie High and Florida Air Academy.

Now, with the Royals, he has a chance to play with Mike Sweeney, Reggie Sanders, Gil Meche and Odalis Perez.

"I've gotten the opportunity to play in three different leagues, in 22 states and in 33 cities, so I've seen a good bit of the country," Barnes said.

"But it's not the greatest life in the world, because it is a bit of a grind, and you don't make the kind of money you'd hoped for. It's not the drinking and the smoking and all that stuff you see in the movies, but the bus rides are real. Some are 11 hours long and sometimes the buses break down or the AC goes out.

"That, among other things, make it tough. I know one thing, those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches after batting practice are getting old."

Soon, perhaps, his next words will be, "Oh, waiter!"

Brewer Fanatic Staff

New Jersey (independent Can-Am League) traded C Jason Belcher (Brewers' property 2000-2004) to Fargo-Moorhead (Northern League).

I often wonder how much say (or approval) independent league players have over trades. They're traded across leagues (and in this case, cross-country) on contracts that are for very short money.

Kansas City (the independent Northern League T-Bones, not the Royals) signed RHP Kenny Durost (Brewers 2003-2005) to a 2007 contract.

Well, it is the Royals...

It's a combination of opportunity and more experience. He's getting regular use, which is what he needs to continue development. His lack of consistent use in Milwaukee compromised his chances of success.

I hope he does well in KC, just as long as he doesn't when the teams face each other in interleague play.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Rockies released four former Brewers this week: LHP Matt Ford, RHP's Tim Bausher and Jon Huizinga, and catcher Bryan Opdyke.

Florida released CF Alex Sanchez.

Philadelphia released RHP Wil Laureano (the David Bell trade), catcher Jeff Winchester, and INF Andrew Beattie.

The Padres released RHP Ryan Trytten.

Seattle released Nelson Figueroa.

And in the only "signing", OF Cristian Guerrero, soon to be 27, signs for a third year in the Nationals' system.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Really nice story here --

Link while active, text follows:

www.dailymail.com/story/S...ony+Festa/

'I had a lot of fun playing here' -- Power's Tony Festa

Jacob Messer

Charleston Daily Mail sportswriter

In between sips of cold beer from a plastic cup Tuesday night, Tony Festa laughed and smiled as he talked to his fellow fans inside Appalachian Power Park.

Dressed in a baseball cap, a T-shirt, a pair of jeans and a pair of sandals, he was indistinguishable from anyone else in the crowd on hand to watch the West Virginia Power's exhibition game.

However, Festa is different than everybody else. It was only last year when he was one of the players on the field rather than one of the fans in the stands.

After only three seasons in minor league baseball, he called it quits ... with no regrets.

"I was old for the level I was (playing), which made it easy to walk away," said Festa, 26, who was a high-energy, lead-by-example utility player for West Virginia, the Milwaukee Brewers' low Class A affiliate. "I had a lot of fun playing here. But if I'm still playing here (at my age), then there's something seriously wrong with my baseball career.

"I know I'm going to miss it and I know I'm going to wish I was out there, but I have no regrets. The pros of leaving outweigh the cons. Baseball has been really good to me, and I felt like I gave it everything I have, but it was time.

"I just didn't feel like there was anything more I had to accomplish for myself. It was a selfish decision. It was about me and where I was at in my life. I was fortunate enough to have my (college) degree. So, I was able to walk away and start the next phase of my life."

When he considered his situation, Festa came to this conclusion: He couldn't pick a better way to cap his career.

The Power finished the year with a winning record (74-62). Festa played well enough (.290 batting average, .378 on-base percentage, .401 slugging percentage, six homers, 55 runs and 60 RBI) that he likely would have received a promotion to Brevard County (Fla.), the Brewers' high Class A affiliate, if he had returned this season.

More importantly, Festa met the love of his life, Meagan McCoy, a West Virginia University Tech student who works at Appalachian Power Park. Not even a hard-charging and high-sliding base runner could have flipped him head over heels like she did.

"Everything about last season, on and off the field, came to a great climax," he said.

In the wake of his decision, Festa has made the transition from a baseball uniform to a business suit. He is a sales executive for WeSave, a members' benefit program for public employees. The Charleston-based company has its headquarters on Capitol Street.

Festa has found that his current job is comparable to his former one in regard to the pressure to perform.

"You have to prove yourself every single day," said Festa, who graduated from California-Riverside with a bachelor's degree in business administration. "For my effort and my results, I'm judged every day and every month.

"The pressure is there. I get paid to perform, just like I did in baseball. The only difference is, I'm using my social skills rather than my physical skills. It's very similar. It's very competitive, just like baseball."

With his girlfriend and his job here, Charleston now is home for Festa -- and that is fine with him. He loves the "big-city buzz and small-town charm" it offers.

"It's a great mix," said Festa, who was born in San Francisco but grew up 45 minutes away in the suburb of Danville, Calif. Plus, "the people are so welcoming here. They make you feel like you are from here."

Power fans not only can see him in the stands but also can hear him on the radio this year. Thanks to an idea they hatched during a discussion at a local bowling alley, Festa will join Andy "Bull" Barch in the booth from time to time this season.

"He brought it up, and we spoke about it," said Festa, whom the Brewers drafted in the 23rd round (676th overall pick) in 2004. "That's something I would love to do. I'm going to come out to the games because I'm a baseball fan. I'm going to be here anyway."

Festa can offer insight that others can't.

"Having been in the dugout and on the field and in the clubhouse, there is so much stuff that we see and go through," Festa said. "I know what all of the players are thinking in August when they have played 100 games and they have 40 more to go.

"Bull is good. He doesn't need any help. But if I can offer any variation to what he does, I would be glad to do it and I think it would be a lot of fun."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.mailtribune.com/archi...09rowe.htm

Rowe hangs up his cleats

Former Ashland High, Oregon State slugger decides not to pursue a career in baseball

By Joe Zavala

for the Jackson County (Oregon) Mail Tribune

Bill Rowe has a message for Ashland Little Leaguers who dream of some day playing in the Major Leagues: Baseball is just a game ? a brilliant and worthy pastime capable of creating lifelong memories but still, just a game.

Rowe speaks from recent experience. Lots of it. The former Ashland High all-state slugger who went on to help Oregon State win the 2006 College World Series has decided to hang up his cleats after getting a taste of professional baseball, and his decision wasn't as difficult as you may think.

"I got a good feel for what professional baseball is all about and it's really not the same game that it was to me the year before," said Rowe, referring to his magical final season at OSU. "You have this idea growing up of what pro baseball is and you base it on playing in your back yard. That's not what it's like."

Rowe got a taste of nationwide fame in the CWS, where he blasted a clutch home run in the second game of the championship round then scored the winning run in the decisive game to cap the Beavers' stunning upset of North Carolina.

Only days later, on June 28, Rowe signed a contract with the Milwaukee Brewers and wound up playing 44 games over the next two-and-a-half months for Milwaukee's rookie farm team, the Helena Brewers. He played well, bouncing back from a cold start to finish the season with the club's fourth-highest batting average (.279).

He was all set to return a few weeks ago for what would have been his second season, but as spring training neared Rowe started to have second thoughts.

"The day I was supposed to go I was sick physically, throwing up," Rowe said. "I was thinking about what is important in my life and what is valuable in my life and spending it playing baseball is not what it's all about. I called my parents and they were cool about it. They understood."

According to Rowe, playing in the minor leagues sucked the fun right out of the game for him. Chasing a carrot of possible fame and fortune, pro ball players are focused more on moving up in the ranks individually, less on winning. Thus, the team camaraderie that made his previous baseball experiences at OSU and Ashland High memorable was virtually nonexistent.

Then there were the road trips ? notoriously long, monotonous bus rides to places like Missoula, Billings, Great Falls and Ogden, Utah. Ultimately, it was the thought of those red-eyed "business" excursions, and of the bleachers devoid of family and friends that waited at the other end, that finalized Rowe's decision to call it a career.

"I had to give it up," he said.

Rowe now plans on completing his philosophy degree at Oregon State and possibly pursuing a career in the film industry, a path that has already been paved by both is father, Doug Rowe, and brother, Jackson, another former AHS first baseman.

Reflecting on his short stint in the minors, Rowe speaks confidently about his decision.

"I'm sitting in the dugout a lot with these guys and a lot of them, they don't know what they're going to do (after baseball)," he said. "I just knew that that wasn't what my life was going to be about, so I had to make that decision."

While Rowe says he's done with pursuing a Major League career, that doesn't mean he's through with baseball. Recently, he's worked with the Ashland High team, which is 6-4 heading into Tuesday's Southern Sky Conference opener against Crater, and he's tentatively planning a trip to Australia next fall to play in a tournament.

Archived