Brewer Fanatic

Latest Transactions -- Latest: Andrew Lefave Traded to Nationals

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

GWYNN RETURNS FROM COOPERSTOWN; SARFATE PLACED ON D.L.: Outfielder Tony Gwynn has been activated from the temporary inactive list after returning from this weekend?s Baseball Hall of Fame festivities honoring his father. He was optioned from the Brewers to the Sounds on Wednesday afternoon. Gwynn batted .258 (17-for-66) with three RBIs in 16 games for the Sounds from June 20 and July 5 between his two stints with Milwaukee. He recorded six hits in 20 at-bats (.200) for the Brew Crew in 10 games during his second stint with the club.

To clear a roster spot, pitcher Dennis Sarfate has been placed on the disabled list, retroactive to Sunday. He left his spot start against the River Cats on that date due to a neck strain after facing only six batters.

Good for him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena Press Release:

First-Rounder LaPorta Promoted

Seventh Overall Pick Headed to Class-A West Virginia

Helena - The Milwaukee Brewers announced the promotion of their first-round selection Matt LaPorta from the Helena roster to the West Virginia roster on Tuesday. LaPorta was the seventh overall selection in the 2007 amateur draft out of the University of Florida. As a Gator, he was twice named Southeastern Conference Player of the Year.

LaPorta batted .259 in seven games with Helena. He two homers and one double with four RBI in 27 at-bats. The new member of Milwaukee's South Atlantic League affiliate appeared as a designated hitter in three games for Helena and patrolled left field in four other contests.

The Port Charlotte, FL native batted .402 for Florida in 2007 with 20 homers and knocked in 52 runs for the Gators. The 6'2", 216 lb. LaPorta is currently the all-time leader at the University of Florida with 74 career home runs.

The Brewers finish a three-game series versus the Billings Mustangs on Tuesday at Kindrick Field. The Brewers won the first half with a 26-12 mark and have secured a spot in the playoffs in September but are off to a slow 2-6 mark in the second half. All games can be heard on KCAP 1340 AM or www.helenabrewers.net.

Nice to see LaPorta moved up to alphabet ball, though I would have preferred seeing him in Brevard County or Huntsville. It's hard to argue with the success the Brewers have had developing top hitting prospects lately though.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link, text follows:

http://southcoastleague.com/news/?id=629

The independent South Coast League of Professional Baseball is pleased to announce that Aiken (South Carolina) Foxhounds outfielder Scott Houin has been signed by the Milwaukee Brewers.

"I just think it's great to have an opportunity to be able to play at the next level and go on," said Houin.

Houin, 22, batted .359 with 8 home runs, 40 RBI's, and 20 stolen bases in only 46 games this season and won SCL Player of the Month honors for July. Houin is 3rd in the league in steals, 5th in OBP (.418), and 2nd in slugging percentage (.586).

Originally drafted in the 44th round of the 2003 amateur draft by the Baltimore Orioles (a draft-and-follow, he did not sign), Houin exploded for the Foxhounds during the month of July. Houin went .371/.422/.629 for the 'Hounds, along with five home runs and twenty-nine RBI's. He was also a menace on the base paths, swiping twelve bases without being caught.

A centerfielder from Colorado Springs, Colo., Houin earned All-America honorable mention honors as a junior in 2007, his only year at Mount Olive University, a four-year school in North Carolina. A first team All-Region selection, Houin was named to the All-Tournament Team at the 2007 NCAA II South Atlantic Regional. Houin hit 11 home runs, batted .322 and was ranked nationally with nine triples during his lone campaign with the Trojans. Previously Houin played at Central Missouri State.

When asked about how the South Coast League has changed him as a player, Houin had this to say about his experiences:

"Coach (Chris) Bando and Anthony Telford really helped me out with my life and moving on in baseball," shared Houin. "I am learning new things about myself to prepare me for the next level."

Houin will travel to Phoenix, AZ this weekend and play with the Arizona Brewers in the Rookie League for the remainder of 2007.

http://www.mountolivecollege.edu/home/dshulimson/images_athletics/Baseball/houin.jpg

http://southcoastleague.com.ismmedia.com/ISM2/NewsManager/306.gif.300.gif

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

WEEKS RETURNS TO BREWERS; MACIAS ACTIVATED: Second baseman Rickie Weeks was recalled by the Milwaukee Brewers today to replace veteran infielder Tony Graffanino, who is out for the season with a torn ACL and medial meniscus tear in his right knee. Weeks batted .455 (10-for-22) with three doubles, a triple, three RBIs, and five runs scored in six games for Nashville during the club's recent road trip. To fill his roster spot in Music City, utilityman Jose Macias has been activated from the disabled list.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Almost assuredly, those minor league game blurbs are not added by the beat writer, but someone behind a desk back at the J-S. Still, with the beat writer's byline, it doesn't reflect well.

By the way, I had the wrong West Virginia opponent and links tonight, so I'm not about to cast stones.

Now for an actual roster move, the purpose of this thread --

LHP Mike Ramlow has been activated from the Power D.L., and infielder Brad Miller has been placed on the disabled list with an undisclosed injury, retroactive to 8/5.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media notes:

It's a surprise, but figured this was going to be a tough one to make room for unless there was a phantom injury somewhere...

HACKMAN RELEASED; SPURLING TO JOIN SOUNDS: Veteran reliever Luther Hackman, who ranks fourth in the PCL with 18 saves this season, has been released by the Milwaukee Brewers. He posted a 1-2 record, 3.61 ERA, and 18 saves in 21 saves during his team-leading 41 relief outings for the Sounds. Right-hander Chris Spurling, who was designated for assignment by the Brewers on Wednesday and outrighted to Nashville yesterday, will join the club during this weekend's series. He went 2-1 with a 4.91 ERA (22 ER / 40.1 IP) in 38 relief appearances for Milwaukee after being promoted from the Sounds in mid-April.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewerfan extends condolences to Brent Brewer and his family. Because of a death in his family, Brewer has been placed on West Virginia's temprary inactive list.

Infielder Brad Miller has been activated from the Power D.L. and will take Brewer's spot on the roster.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

You may have missed the news if you're not a regular reader of the Brewerfan Draft Forum (and why aren't you?), but the Brewers signed two more draft picks just prior to this week's deadline. The following reports were cut-and-pase from the Draft Forum, some pre-signing, a bit afterwards. Here's the first update.

Round 11: Cody Scarpetta - RHP

6'3", 225, R/R - Guilford HS (IL)

http://www.perfectgame.org/images/profilepics/07pgind56.jpg

http://cmsimg.rrstar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde

NOTES & INFO:

Brewerfan.net Scouting Report:

The Brewers selected Cody's father, Dan, in the third round of the 1982 draft. The younger Scarpetta checks in at a chiseled 6?3?, 225 pounds, and uses his size to sit consistently in the 88-92 range while touching 94. He also shows a pretty good mid-70s breaking pitch, a pitch that could use a little more bite to it, but he still shows the ability to throw strikes with it, giving him the foundation for two very solid offerings.

Scarpetta is also a pretty good hitter, and he could play two ways should he honor his commitment to Creighton University, but at the pro level his future lies on the mound. Having dropped to the 11th round, signability could be an issue.

Birthdate: 8/25/1988

NEWSPAPER AND WEB COVERAGE:

Beloit Daily News:

The Milwaukee Brewers like hard-throwing high schoolers. Rockford Guilford's Cody Scarpetta is a hard-throwing high school right-hander.

A match made in heaven.

The Brewers took the Rockford prep star in the 11th round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft. Scarpetta was ranked as a four-star player (out of five) by Baseball America and has a scholarship at Creighton waiting for him if he doesn't sign with the Brewers. Scarpetta's father, Dan, was selected in the third round by the Milwaukee Brewers 25 years ago and spent a season pitching for the then-named Beloit Brewers.

The report about his signing is here:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=3342?page=1

Link, text follows:

http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007108170033

Scarpetta signs with Brewers

ROCKFORD - Twenty minutes before he would turn into a Bluejay, Cody Scarpetta became a Brewer.

The Major League Baseball deadline for signing 2007 draft picks was 10:50 p.m. Wednesday night. Scarpetta, who accepted a baseball scholarship from the Creighton Bluejays months before the Milwaukee Brewers drafted him in the 11th round, was all set to leave for college until he agreed to terms at 10:30 p.m.

"We were all packed and ready to go," said Scarpetta, a right-handed pitcher from Rockford Guilford. "Then they came in and we got a deal done. They knew what our number was. They were a little short, but they raised it. They gave us what I would go for to play."

In June, Scarpetta became only the seventh NIC-9 baseball player to be drafted in the first 11 rounds. His dad, Dan Scarpetta, was a left-handed pitcher from Rockford Auburn who was chosen in the third round by the Brewers 25 years ago.

Scarpetta has been sidelined by a torn flexor tendon in his right index finger since late April, but is set to begin throwing "50 percent" off a mound.

"I've seen two therapists, and both of them said it's the best tendon repair they've ever seen done," Scarpetta said.

The plan is for Scarpetta to leave in mid-September for Tempe for six weeks in the Arizona Instructional League. In the spring, he will probably play for the Helena (Mont.) Brewers in the Pioneer League.

http://cmsimg.rrstar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=D1&Date=20070817&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=108170033&Ref=AR&MaxW=250&MaxH=200

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Here's your other signee, an exciting athlete who posted numbers in a very small school division --

Round 44: Shawn Zarraga - C

6'1", 218, R/R - Trinity Christian Academy (FL)

Photo by Richard Graulich/The Palm Beach Post

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/04/29/47/image_3947294.jpg

NOTES & INFO:

Born 1-21-89

College commitment is to UNC Greensboro.

UNC Greensboro Draft Day Article

"Shawn Zarraga was named the Small School Player of the Year for the second straight year by the Palm Beach (FL) Post. Zarraga, who speaks four languages including his native Aruba, hit .621 this season with five home runs, 47 RBI and 49 runs scored. He also helped out on the other side of the battery this season, working 16 innings as a pitcher with a 3-0 mark and a 0.43 ERA. He struck out 32 in those 16 innings. He fired a one-hitter in the regional finals against defending state champion Miami-Brito and followed that up with a four-hitter in Trinity Christian?s 2-1 win over Lake Mary Prep in the state semifinals."

NEWSPAPER AND WEB COVERAGE:

Link to June 3, 2007 article, text follows:

Small schools player of the year

By Steve Dorsey

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Shawn Zarraga plans to major in sports medicine at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, where the Trinity Christian Academy graduate will play baseball. That's provided his current plans are not derailed by a professional contract.

Zarraga is expected to be selected in the baseball amateur draft this week. What round remains to be seen, but the way Zarraga sees it, he's in a win-win situation regardless of what transpires in the next few days.

"My future will be decided that day," Zarraga said, referring to draft day. "It doesn't really matter what round I go. The money I'm offered is what is going to decide for me."

If the money isn't right, Zarraga gladly will pack his bags for UNC-Greensboro to play baseball and pursue his degree. He said he wants to study sports medicine because he loves science. He's also a math whiz.

"I love science and I'm great with numbers," said Zarraga, who graduated from Trinity Christian with a 3.6 GPA and speaks four languages, including Papiamento, the language of his native Aruba.

Zarraga certainly has figured out the science of hitting, and there's proof in his stats. Zarraga repeated as small schools baseball Player of the Year after batting .621 with five home runs, 47 RBI and 49 runs scored.

Zarraga told his coach, Miguel Cuello, at the beginning of the season that he wanted to pitch any important games that had playoff ramifications. Cuello obliged and Zarraga delivered, going 3-0 with an 0.43 ERA and 32 strikeouts in just 16 innings.

So there was no discussion as to who would be on the mound when Trinity reached the regional finals. Zarraga again came through, pitching a one-hitter against defending Class 1A state champion Miami-Brito, and three days later, tossed a four-hitter in Trinity's 2-1 win against Lake Mary Prep in the state semifinals in Sarasota.

The following day, Trinity's bid for its first state title was denied by Jacksonville-Eagle's View. Zarraga put the disappointment in perspective in the post-game press conference.

"It's just a baseball game," he said. "It's not the end of the road for any of us."

The next road Zarraga will take soon will be determined. If he is as successful as the one he has traveled thus far, it promises to be a great trip.

Link to May 2007 article, text follows:

Trinity Christian's Zarraga at home anywhere on the field

By Steve Dorsey

Monday, May 14, 2007

Shawn Zarraga and Trinity Christian Academy were on their way to defeating defending state champion Miami-Brito on Tuesday when the Brito pitcher threw two pitches at Zarraga, both in the area of his head.

It was the second time in the game that Brito pitchers had thrown at Zarraga to back him off the plate or perhaps just intimidate the Warriors' best hitter.

The following inning, when Zarraga was on the mound, one of his pitches nicked the shirt of a Brito batter about belt-high, sending him to first base. Zarraga walked over to first and apologized to the player, telling him it was unintentional.

Amid the emotion and pressure of a regional championship, Zarraga remained composed and helped carry Trinity to the Class 1A state final four tournament, which begins today in Sarasota.

"A lot of guys wouldn't do that," Trinity head coach Miguel Cuello said of Zarraga's gesture.

"I'm not that type of player," Zarraga said, referring to retaliation.

Zarraga's statistics speak volumes about his playing ability - .615 batting average, five home runs, 52 RBI and a 4-0 pitching record with an ERA of 0.30. Cuello said it's all the other things Zarraga does that make him such a complete player.

"He has all five tools: speed, hitting, everything," Cuello said. "He knows how to play the game."

He's also one of the area's most versatile players and has played all nine positions.

Zarraga, who has signed with UNC-Greensboro, was Trinity's starting third baseman during his freshman and sophomore years. Last year, however, the team did not have a seasoned catcher. Zarraga volunteered to fill the void, then proceeded to have a phenomenal season that earned him The Post's small schools player of the year.

"It was like he had been there all his life," Cuello said of Zarraga's switch to behind the plate. "He pays attention to everything you tell him, even though he's a great player and he's got scouts looking at him all the time."

Cuello said that when this season began, Zarraga told him he also wanted to be on the mound in important games, such as last week's regional championship in Miami. Cuello obliged, and Zarraga pitched a one-hitter in Trinity's 8-1 win against Brito, avenging last year's 8-0 loss to Brito in the regional finals.

Cuello said a scout for the Chicago White Sox saw enough of Zarraga on the mound to suggest they might list him as a pitching prospect for next month's major-league amateur draft.

"I told him, 'You should see him play third base,' " Cuello said.

Many opposing teams tried to pitch around Zarraga this season, or at least not give him anything good to swing at when he was at the plate.

That was not a solution to beating Trinity, however. Senior first baseman Santos Avila, who bats behind Zarraga, has a .542 batting average with 40 RBI, and six other starters have at least 27 RBI.

"It's not only about me and Shawn," Avilo said. "In the beginning, there was a lot of pressure on me and Shawn to produce, but after we lost to Brito (3-1) in the fourth game, we came together as a team, and that took a lot of pressure off me and Shawn."

When the pressure is on, however, Zarraga usually is at his best, as defending state champion Brito found out this past week.

Link to June 2006 article, text follows:

Palm Beach Small Schools Player of the Year

Shawn Zarraga, Trinity Christian

By Steve Dorsey

Sunday, June 18, 2006

At 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds, Shawn Zarraga doesn't look like a typical table tennis player. Looks, however, can be deceiving, and Zarraga welcomes a pingpong challenge any time, anywhere.

"Losing is not an option for me," Zarraga said when it comes to playing the game he learned as a kid growing up in Aruba.

"My dad had a table in our house and we played all the time, but I never beat my dad."

Zarraga attributes the concentration he derives from playing pingpong in part to his success as a baseball player.

"It's great for hand-eye coordination," the Trinity Christian junior catcher said.

Hard to argue with that assessment because Zarraga led the area this season with an eye-popping .714 batting average, a statistic so phenomenal that even Zarraga said he never imagined he'd hit that well.

"I didn't dream that at all," said Zarraga, The Palm Beach Post small schools Player of the Year.

"I spent a lot of time in the (batting) cage and was seeing the ball better and my confidence level was high, but I just wanted to hit over .500."

Zarraga also worked out more and went on a diet, giving up most of his favorite sweets and dropping 25 pounds from the previous season. He also played soccer, another sport he learned in Aruba.

In fact, "versatile" is a perfect word to describe Zarraga. His primary position is catcher, but he's played every position, including pitcher.

"Wherever they want to play me, I'll play," said Zarraga, who also had 30 RBI and 13 stolen bases.

No wonder college and professional scouts already have shown interest.

Archived