Brewer Fanatic

Latest Transactions -- Latest: Andrew Lefave Traded to Nationals

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Site:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1263

DiFelice Departs for Nashville

The Milwaukee Brewers have promoted right-hand pitcher Mark DiFelice to triple-A Nashville and promoted right-hander Vince Perkins to Huntsville from high class-A Brevard County. Perkins is expected to be in uniform for the Stars when they resume play after the Southern League All-Star break on Wednesday in Chattanooga, while DiFelice is expected to be with the Sounds when they resume play Thursday in Memphis after the triple-A All-Star break.

DiFelice went 6-1 with a 1.62 earned run average for the Stars and was the starting pitcher for the North Division in the All-Star Game Monday night in Pearl, Mississippi. He gave up singles to the first two batters he faced before retiring the next three batters in his lone inning of work. He established a franchise record 36 consecutive scoreless inning streak from May 27 at Mobile through July 4, when Issmael Salas of Tennessee singled in two runs in the seventh inning.

Perkins made 23 appearances for the Manatees, including two starts, and compiled a record of one win, two losses, one save and a 7.32 ERA in 39 1/3 innings. He was originally drafted in the 18th round by Toronto in 2000 and pitched in the Blue Jays organization through 2005. He was injured and did not pitch in 2006.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
When you pitch through your senior year of college before joining pro ball, you are simply going to be older across most levels. Just because a player is older when joining an organization, that doesn't mean you skip him ahead at an advanced pace to catch up. There is still a progression the player must go through.

Quote:
OK, next up -- open spot at Brevard...

Maybe Chuckie Caufield or Lefave to BC in order to make room for LaPorta in WV?

Great to watch another rehabber take a step forward in Perkins. Though, as Toby noted, Stanczyk (among others) deserves a bump, IMO. He's going on his second full year in BC and has improved everything (except his K rate, which is arguably one of the most important stats). Still, I've got my Vinny Rottino goggles on...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link, text follows:

www.frontierleague.com/cg...1184355843

The Milwaukee Brewers have signed one of the top closers in Frontier League history.

The Rockford (Illinois) RiverHawks have announced that the Brewers have signed reliever Mike Marksbury, the team?s all-time saves leader. Marksbury was 0-0 with a league-leading 14 saves and a 1.33 earned-run average in 20 appearances with Rockford.

The two-time FL all-star is the eighth RiverHawk signed by a major-league organization in the team?s six seasons in Rockford. Milwaukee has assigned Marksbury to the Brevard County Manatees of the high Class A Florida State League.

?We?re going to miss him as a player,? RiverHawks director of baseball operations Dave Ciarrachi said. ?We?re glad to help him advance his career. He was an asset here both as a person and as a player.?

In his final appearance, Marksbury picked up the save last Saturday at River City to continue a dominant mid-season stretch. The 25-year-old right-hander picked up the save in each of his last 10 appearances. In that span, Marksbury pitched 10 2/3 scoreless innings and scattered three hits ? two against Chillicothe on June 21 and one on July 7 ? for an .091 (3-for-33) opposing average, struck out 18 and walked four.

In 20 1/3 total innings this season, Marksbury struck out 32, walked 10 and held opposing batters to a .119 average.

Marksbury broke the team career saves record on June 28. Marksbury has 26 saves in two seasons with the RiverHawks. Josh Latimer set the old record by saving 22 games in 2002-04. Marksbury, who saved 12 games last year and recorded a career-best save total this year, is the first pitcher in team history with two seasons of double-digit saves. He had matched Jason Glosser for second place on the RiverHawks? single-season saves list. Latimer holds the single-season record of 15 saves, set in 2004.

Marksbury is fifth on the FL?s career saves list. He is second among active league pitchers, trailing only Evansville closer Mike Bille, who has 29 career saves.

Major-league teams have purchased nine contracts from the RiverHawks in the team?s six seasons in Rockford. Marksbury?s signing is the fourth time a RiverHawk went to the Frontier League all-star game and was picked up. Pitcher Jason Shelley was signed by the Brewers at the 2003 all-star break and was named Baseball America magazine Independent League Player of the Year following the season. Lefty Justin Dowdy was signed by Seattle the same week, returned to Rockford the following spring and was picked up by Anaheim at the break in 2004.

Other RiverHawks signed by major-league clubs are: infielder Jayson Drobiak (New York Yankees, 2002), pitcher Justin Olson (Minnesota, 2003), pitcher Scott Sobkowiak (Cincinnati, 2003), outfielder Rich Austin (Kansas City, 2004) and pitcher Derrick Ellison (Seattle, 2005).

The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, a 12-team independent professional baseball league in its 15th season.

Marksbury was drafted in the 50th round by Colorado in 2001 but did not sign. He'll be making his debut in affiliated ball when he suits up for the Manatees. No word on a corresponding roster move.

We will create a Brewerfan Player Index Page later tonight.

Link while active, text follows:

mystateline.com/content/f.../?cid=4514

Marksbury Closes The Deal

Reported by: Scott Leber, mystateline.com

Wednesday, Jul 4, 2007

When it's late in the game and the RiverHawks are winning, Mike Marksbury is certain to be on the mound.

His job is to save games, and no one in RiverHawks history has done that as well as he has.

"Markey has more saves for us this year than he had all last year," says RiverHawks manager J.D. Arndt. "He's really been a horse for us."

The big righthander out of Cincinnati led the RiverHawks with 12 saves last season. He averaged better than one strikeout per inning pitched. This season he has already recorded 13 saves. He is only three saves away from breaking the RiverHawks single season record, and he still has half a season to go.

"I take the same approach to any game I enter whether it's 1-0 or we're up four," says Marksbury. "My goal is to not let anybody on base and to do my best when I'm out there. I don't like to give up hits. I don't like giving up walks. When I'm out there I'm out to get the job done."

Marksbury says that before he pitches he makes himself angry. That helps him pitch better. But he also is able to keep his emotions from getting out of hand.

"I'm pretty amped up when I'm out there. But at the same time my mind is at ease. I'm pretty relaxed."

Not everyone can handle the pressure of pitching in the late innings with the game on the line. Marksbury seems to have been born for that role. Although in college (University of Miami, Ohio at Hamilton) he was a starting pitcher.

"I never really got into the starting mentality," he says. "Being a closer, I feel like this is what I'm meant for."

Marksbury pitched for two years for one of the RiverHawks Frontier League rivals in Florence, Kentucky just 20 miles from his home. But when he had an arm injury two years ago, Florence no longer wanted him. The RiverHawks did.

"Mr. Ciarrachi called me, and I just made the decision to come up here."

What a break that has been for the RiverHawks.

Video of Marksbury along with the above story:

mystateline.com/media_pla...ia_id=4834

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rockford Register Star:

Brewers sign Marksbury

The Milwaukee Brewers have signed RiverHawks closer Mike Marksbury, the team?s all-time saves leader, and assigned him to Brevard County in the high Class A Florida State League.

Marksbury, a two-time Frontier League All-Star, was leading the league this season with 14 saves, including 10 straight in his last 10 appearances. In 20 1/3 innings this season, he had 32 strikeouts, 10 walks and held opposing batters to a .119 average.

He pitched 2/3 of an inning in Wednesday?s All-Star Game, retiring both batters he faced and striking out one.

?He was just beside himself,? manager J.D. Arndt said of Marksbury when he received the news. ?He was stunned.

?He has been knocking on the door of moving up and this year he kicked it in. His assets are that he has a 90 to 92-miles-an-hour fastball and he hides the ball well. He also was working on a pretty good breaking pitch, but the best thing about him is his absolute ability to come in and slam the door on the opponent.?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have released 2004 4th round pick RHP Josh Baker, who was drafted out of Rice University, and has battled injury the last year plus. Even prior to his injury, Baker's 2005 season at West Virginia was disappointing.

That was the Brewers' pitching heavy draft at the top -- Mark Rogers in the first round and Josh Wahpepah in the 3rd.

That draft has a chance to be very promising still, as evidenced by names like Salome, Cain and Ford on the linked list below. And oh yeah, some kid with an unusual first name taken in the 2nd round:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPic...;draftId=5

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Site:

Link, text follows --

www.huntsvillestars.com/n...ewsId=1272

Stars Say Goodbye to Salas

The Milwaukee Brewers have promoted right-hand pitcher Marino Salas to triple-A Nashville and sent left-hand pitcher Mitch Stetter from a rehabilitation assignment with the rookie level Arizona Brewers to Huntsville. Stetter is expected to be in uniform for the Stars on Tuesday night when they open a five-game series against Tennessee, while Salas is expected to join the Sounds in New Orleans on Tuesday.

Salas leaves Huntsville in second place in the Southern League with 17 saves, including two in the Stars just-completed five-game series sweep of Chattanooga. He posted a 1.42 earned run average, allowing only six earned runs in 38 innings. Salas was scored on in only four of his 37 appearances and allowed more than two runs only once.

Stetter opened the season in Nashville and went 0-0 with a 6.75 earned run mark in 10 outings. He allowed four earned runs over 5 1/3 innings and was placed on the disabled list on April 30 with left shoulder tendonitis. The southpaw went 2-3 with a 2.61 earned run average and eight saves in 32 games for the Stars in 2005 before his promotion to the Sounds.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Debuting today with Arizona Rookie was RHP Patrick Lawler, 6'3", 235, out of Grand Canyon University, where he was a senior in 2007.

In 12 games in 2007 (11 starts), Lawler went 5-2 with a 4.82 ERA, 61.2 IP, 62 H, 20 BB, 15 HBP's, 53 K's.

Must be a live arm, we'll try to learn more tonight.

From April 1st, check the link -- maybe the Brewers saw Lawlor here:

athletics.gcu.edu/sports/...rewers.htm

Brewer Fanatic Staff
The Brewers have released catcher C.J. Medlin, who just completed an injury rehab. Medlin, originally a Cubs farmhand, was purchased from the independent Northern League prior to the 2005 season, and had played in 97 games over the past two seasons at Brevard County.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In order to make room for catcher J.R. Hopf, who has been activated from the Brevard County disabled list, Angel Salome has been transferred down to Helena.

Now Angel has only DH'd since the 17th, so we're wondering (and trying to find out) if this is because Salome is limited to DH work right now for some reason.

In the meantime, you have Hopf, Anderson Delarosa, and Nestor Corredor splitting catching duties with the Manatees.

Archived