Brewer Fanatic

COCO Tired?

Please you pitch one inning. That is ridiculous. Sometimes Adam McCalvy deals with some stupid questions. So is turnbow tired as well. Its just dumb to think veteran major leaguers are tired after a little over a half a season. He should be answering questions about our future. The Brewers are overacheiving this year next year it will be expected. Fans are too greedy dont worry it will all come together soon.

Warm ups do take their toll, but if Coco is tired now it pretty much is Ned's fault or Coco is not a year long closer. Ned has been pretty picky when he puts him in, but has used him in some rather long stretches. Maybe he's just slumping a bit? You can't expect him to get everyone.

The Brewers are overacheiving this year next year it will be expected

I fully disagree with that satement.... cards will spend tons of money and so will the cubs to retool and here the brewers fans will sit saying that same saying "we will get em next season" blah

anyways coco shouldnt be tired I agree...heck he sits on the pine half the time on the raod anyways so he gets nice little vacations

[ If you watch, COCO is sleeping in the clubhouse the first five innings of a game. ]

That really has no bearing on his side work or times where he's gotten ready and hasn't been used (although, I believe that's been pretty minimal).

I don't think Coco's side work and warmups have been a factor, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

The dude is a closer on the team. I can't imagine him being used before the 8th inning. Why should he not be comfortable in the clubhouse for 5 of those innings? There is no reason for him to be out there except to cheer for his team. And if that is what is calling us to lose, we have a pretty weak hearted team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

If he's tired then the Brewers would be idiots to sign him next year.

The Brewers won't resign CoCo next year I don't think, not because he's tired (I don't know if he is) but because he will likely get a larger contract from someone else this offseason than the Brewers will be likely to spend on a closer.

The first sign of a tired arm is usually fastball speed. He hasn't lsot anything on his fastball speed. In fact, he is till locating his fastball very well. The entire problem with him (and turnbow for that matter) is the slider.

When Coco was at his best, he would throw the slider at the knees, which would break to the ankles at home plate. Now he either over-throws it (spikes it) and batters don't even swing at it, or he leaves it up in the zone and it gets hammered.

So I doubt it has anything to do with tiredness, it's just losing command of the slider.

Quote:
Please you pitch one inning. That is ridiculous.

Other than some guy who submitted a question, who is suggesting that CoCo is tired? Certainly not McCalvy. Talk about making a big deal about nothing.

Adam even points out that it is unlikely that that is the case. He points out the Coco is on pace for career norms in appearances and innings pitched.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

If Duncan's little end-of-the-bat flare falls two feet left of where it did, and he pops out on the next pitch, there are two out and nobody on in the ninth of Staurday's first game.

Are we talking about him being tired as much if he simply finishes up the game on saturday?

Yeah, Coco's had trouble other than that, but there is a reason baseball is called a game of inches.

I tend to agree that most of what the problem has been with Coco is throwing the slider consistently for strikes. Some of it may have to do with the weather, which is not completely within his control. I think the climate has been a bit more kind to him at home than on the road. I'm not making excuses, but breaking pitches are all about grip and aerodynamics. If he's not gripping well, or the air isn't conducive to making the pitch break as it usually does, it won't work. Sheets sometimes has the same issue with his big curveball. Then, if guys aren't swinging at it when it's out of the zone, Coco has to come in with fastballs and suddenly it's a crapshoot at best.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pitching one inning isn't the issue for relievers, it's appearances, and as other's have touched on, the amount of games that he's warmed up in, but not actually been put in the game. There is a lot of stress put on the arm just to get it ready to go and pitch full bore, even if it is only for one inning.

Archived