Brewer Fanatic

Pick your set-up man

DougJones43
i Know turnbow blows up sometimes, i still want to go to battle with him. he has had 4-5 bad outings this season, and other than that has gotten the job done. Relievers are not perfect, it just seams that when he blows up, its magnified because it usually costs us a win. I can think of one time this season that i put on Yost (against Philly because he has never been able to throw 2 innings). Villaneuva is a great middle reliever / long man out of the pen. Why do we want to mess with what is working for the most part.

As far as using any pitcher at any time I think that even relievers like to have a defined role with the team. People like to know where they stand.

EDIT: I pick Tbow as the setup man.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think one defined role can be to spell Wise, Turnbow, or Cordero when any of those guys could use a day of rest.

With about 250 innings to play with between them, Gallardo and Villanueva can do that while still keeping the team well covered for multiple inning situations.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm not advocating Villanueva close next year, just saying it wouldn't shock me. If Cordero leaves via free agency, that vital job is open and Yost loves the job he's done for him this year in relief. I don't think that is the plan now, but they have to move two current starters to get him a rotation spot and that may or may not happen.

I think it is pretty funny that a thread like this comes up once a month once T-Bow blows a game. I would take T-Bow over almost any other set-up guy in baseball. The guy is not going to hold the lead every time he comes in. Without looking at stats and just going out of the top of my head, I would say T-Bow has held the lead in atleast 8 out of every 10 appearances this year....to me that is pretty successful.

Quote:
I'm just sick of Turnbow and his constantly tense, panicked look. (And jesus, stop walking people!!) Give me Villy and his calm, cool demeaner.
You can have the guy with the better demeanor, but the Brewers will take the pitcher with better results. Turnbow has impressive numbers this year (not that Villy doesn't).

I think it is pretty funny that a thread like this comes up once a month once T-Bow blows a game.

If you look at Tbow's stats from the AS break 06 until now -- they definitely warrant some threads questioning his ability.

I have never been a big fan of Tbow -- I was unhappy when DM extended him.

However, I have grown to like Tbow in the setup role, my biggest concerns are

1.) Tbow is not good enough to close for a playoff team

2.) Ned is not afraid to hook him.

Generally when Ned puts his closer in -- it's do or die. i.e., there is no other pitcher warming up when the closer comes in.

I don't subscribe to the "Tbow meltdown" theories. I just dont think Tbow is that good of a pitcher. He cannot locate his slider and heat consistently, and then when he is throwing 94mph meatballs he gets krunked.

Yost should be able to identify this very easily -- If you look at the last game that Tbow blew -- he flat out quit throwing his slider. Once Tbow isn't throwing the slider -- Cordero needs to come in (or someone).

So overall -- I am pretty AOK with Tbow setting up Cordero as long as Ned is not taking a siesta.

Archived