Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of Brian Anderson? (Merged: Anderson & and reaction to the broadcaster)

djoctagone
Quote:
Anderson sounds like he's still calling golf games..
I wholeheartedly disagree. BA has really gotten comfortable being himself, and is completely unafraid to get excited. If you prefer the 'excitement' of Sutton, ok. But it's unfair to still hang the "he was a golf announcer" thing over Brian. He's doing a great job, IMO. He's sharp, quick, and witty, and likes to let the game / crowd sounds get some air time, too, which I personally love.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Coshun has no business being in journalism. He frequently seems confused as to what he wants to say/ask and rather than making players comfortable in interviews (the #1 thing to do when dealing with athletes when you're a fluff reporter) he always makes them uneasy.

Sutton was underappreciated, but I think Anderson has done a decent job. I like that he repeatedly uses the term "terrorizes"/"terrorized".

I like Anderson a lot. I like a guy that keeps quiet more and lets the game happen. It's TV, they don't need to fill any dead times.

Though the Caddyshack references flew right over Rock's head the other day. That's tough for him, he's working with a partner who can't get even the most basic of one-liners. BA threw out that "How'd you like to mow my lawn?" line the other day and it was received by stone cold silence.

• 2 months later...
I was sad to see Sutton go, but I like Anderson way, way more. I hope he's around next season, I'm not sure how Fox or whoever is in charge likes him. Sutton was such a little kid sometimes. Brian Anderson is really glad to be where he is, he's funny in a better way than Sutton, and he does a great job.

I like him a lot he's really come into his own. Him and Bill compliment each other well in the booth, also. That's something that I don't know if it was there when Darron was here. We've already talked about that relationship though.

As I said, I really like Anderson, he's definitely come into his own as the season has progressed. I hope he stays for a while.

I generally like Anderson, but this one habit he has really annoys me. He'll constantly utter phrases such as "He's retired X in a row" or "He's been perfect through X innings" or "He's riding a X game hitting streak" or "He's thrown X scoreless innings". I think it has to do with baseball superstition that you don't mention things like that until they are over, or at least try not to, but in Anderson's recapping of the action he will constantly refer to these things and I feel like he's jinxing them. It's a petty annoyance but I want to see a Brewer no hitter or perfect game some time http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/tongue.gif

I have the Extra Innings package...so I've seen just about every National League announcing duo this year. I think Brian (& Billy for that matter) rates right up there with any of them...if not higher. He's a big upgrade and does an excellent job. Some of these announcing guys are brutal...anyone ever seen a Pirate or Astros game? Yeesh.

He's fine, but I liked Sutton quite a bit better. Sutton just seemed to have more passion and genuine interest in the Brewers and showed real excitement at times, and I liked that.

I did too. I really liked Sutton. I think Anderson is very boring at times and his "wont carry" call really annoys the crap out of me. However, I like BA more now than at the begining of the year. Its his first year in the bigs, I think he'll get better from here on out.

I'm with bacon06 on the recapping. Go with the superstition. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

In general, I think Brian is very good and does a professional job. There are a handful of pronunciations that send shivers through my spine, though. The worst is how he says 'groin'. Aside from that, for a week, we were hearing about the Arizona's 'Brendon' Webb; he did correct that by the time Webb actually faced the Brewers. Also, all 'Batistas' are 'Bautistas'.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've seen just about every National League announcing duo this year. I think Brian (& Billy for that matter) rates right up there with any of them...if not higher.

Amen. From going to a local sports bar to watch the Brewers games I can get to (and subsequently coming across many different broadcasts), I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. Brian Anderson is a fantastic p-b-p guy, and we're lucky to have such quality. Rock is a favorite of mine, so I can admit not being able to be fully objective, but I love him - and the duo as a whole. Big-time upgrade going from Sutton to Anderson. I don't know what to say to those who feel Sutton was genuine & Anderson's energy is fake -- I feel like it's so obviously the opposite. Love ya, BA!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Watching a lot of games on MLB.TV, I can also attest to there being a lot worse out there than Brian and Bill, even if they do annoy us sometimes. The guys in Houston and Pittsburgh sound like dinosaurs that would rather be anywhere but the ballpark watching the game, let alone calling it.

My favorite thing about Brian is that he won't try to yell over the noise of the crowd like Daron always used to. With Daron, if the crowd got loud, he would scream even louder to make sure he was heard...Brian just lets the crowd tell the story if the crowd is ridiculously pumped up (like the final AB of Sheets' CG on Opening Day, or when CoCo saves a big game at home). While it seemed like Daron had more genuine interest in the Brewers' success, I pretty much stopped buying into that when he made a run for the money in Arizona the first chance he got instead of sticking in Milwaukee...Brian also seems to be a much more genuine guy on camera instead of some character, like Daron seemed to be at times.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I like Brian. I agree that he sounds much more genuine than Sutton did. Sutton just sounded like he was faking his enthusiasm. I like how BA doesn't talk all the time. He and Bill seem like they get along better than Sutton and Bill did. I like how they both call it as they see it and not as homers. We all know who they are rooting for.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I like how he's serious about the game and doesn't get overly excited too often.
I appreciate the fact that he's serious about the game, but I would like to see some more excitement. I liked Sutton better. Powell is possibly my all-time favorite..knowledgable about the game and excitable.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived