Brewer Fanatic

What do you think of Brian Anderson? (Merged: Anderson & and reaction to the broadcaster)

djoctagone

let me start off by stating i follow the brewers via gameday audio or on the brewers radio network.

my exposure to brian anderson has been very limited. for the most part, it's from watching highlight reels on brewers.com.

it may be because i'm only hearing portions of his calls, but he seems to consistently start relaying an exciting hitting feat with the word "and".

i realise that in the course of conversation it's appropriate, but i'd rather hear him start off his clause with a proper name (i.e. "fielder"), a verb (i.e. "driven" or "smashed"), or a noun preceded by a common article ("a moonshot!" or "the cover's torn off that one!").

watch the highlights of the past week's games. you'll find that many times, anderson starts off his call with "and".

i like to hear the emphasis of the play at hand. "and" tells us that something else is going to happen. "and" is always implied in baseball. there's always going to be an "and" at least up until the second out of the 9th inning, because we know at least one more pitch will be thrown.

starting off the call with "and" lessens the intensity of the call.

what do you think?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Brian. My complaints are picky (kind of like I'd deem Scott's http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif).

First and foremost, he has to reevaluate how he pronounces 'groin'. Another that I've only heard in only one game: "bases loaded clearing double". That doesn't seem right? somehow.

By the way, I'll listen for the 'and' thing.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Anderson has not grown on me, just personal preference. I don't need Dick Vitale doing Brewer games, but a bit of personality wouldn't hurt the broadcast.

With that said, you could make a drinking game out of Shcroeder's favorite line "but still in all."

Quote:
Anybody else catch he and Bill said Biggio would be the first to go into the HOF as an Astro? Hello? Jeff Bagwell? Sheesh!

Methinks, fair or not, that Bagwell will not be getting in to the HOF. 449 steroid-era homers (not saying he was on them, but not that impressive for the era as a whole) and 2300 hits probably doesn't get it done.

Quote:
Methinks, fair or not, that Bagwell will not be getting in to the HOF. 449 steroid-era homers (not saying he was on them, but not that impressive for the era as a whole) and 2300 hits probably doesn't get it done.

Actually wasn't he the guy that admitted to doing them the year he won the NL MVP?

By far my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Anderson is this: Every time, and I mean every time, a batter fouls a pitch straight back, BA feels compelled to note that the batter was "right on that one." Once or twice a game, fine...but every time? See if you notice this in tonight's broadcast. It's irritating. Otherwise, I think he's just OK.

BA has been pretty good this year. He is starting to grow on me and actually makes me laugh once in a while.

One major problem i have with him: When you make a mistake, admit it and correct it. He screws up and leaves it out there, like a giant motza ball -(excuse the spelling and seinfeld reference).

Also you are announcer, so when you say "some kind of" tell me what.

Bills grill is to Bill Schroeder as Tator Tots is to Brian Anderson

The thing I have noticed most is with many a fly ball, Brian will say this:

"This one won't carry". But then earlier in the game broadcast, he will make a comment that with the roof open at Miller Park the ball really carries. So which one is it?

I've watch baseball for most of my 32 years and I must say that it is not always an issue of carry, it is how hard the ball is hit/squared up on the bat that determines the length of the flyball.

All in all I don't mind Brian but pay attention to this, he does this ALOT. One ball carries and the other doesn't. I mean if it is windy and blowing out strong to left, all balls hit to left will carry more than the would on any other day. But when the roof is closed at Miller, how does one explain one ball carrying and the other not carrying?

I just think he needs to refine how he explains a fly ball is hit to the outfield. I can see that by the outfielders reaction that the ball isn't mashed to the wall when it is a medium flyball and thus we don't have to worry about "carry".

Brian has improved over the course of this season. Either way, it's soooooo much nicer watching Brewer telecasts this season. I'll take Brian Anderson waiting for a ball to bounce around the bleachers for 10 seconds to finally get excited on a home run call over Daron screaming at the top of his lungs about a freaking can of corn five times a game.

I don't mind BA, he could use a nice home run call. I do wish they'd get him a tiny stool to stand on during the pre-game and post-game talks between him and rock. Either Rock is a giant of a man, or BA is tiny.

BA has definitely gotten better as the season has progressed. I think earlier in the year, he was just working through the nerves of his first big-league job (which is understandable -- he seems like a pretty young guy and this was his first MLB job as the main guy). He's started to settle down a bit and he's started to joke with Schroeder a little more, which is good.

Every announcer has tendencies that get old after awhile, but I think so far I think he's done a good job. My favorite BA moment this year was actually opening day where he barely said anything during the game's final at-bat while Sheets was getting the final out of the complete game, and basically let the crowd announce the last at-bat. For whatever reason, I thought that was pretty cool.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think that every announcer has things they say a lot during the season. Baseball is such a long season I think it is unavoidable. I would take BA over Sutton any day.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Quote:
"This one won't carry".

Anderson must have watched a lot of Braves games while growing up. Skip Carey would use that phrase about a hundred times a game, even for pop-ups to shortstop.

Add Shroeder's "I bet he'd like to have that pitch back..." and you have half the broadcast.

Anderson doesn't bother me much, but I don't really pay attention to the announcers. He does seem to state the obvious a lot. For example, out of the blue, he'll say that the Brewers are in first place in the NL Central. Or, "Rickie Weeks has off-season wrist surgery." I guess he's just trying to fill dead air.

moof

I really can't tell a difference. My mute button usage seems to be on par with what it was with Sutton. I can take them for a while but I find it much easier to concentrate on the game when their muted.

I think it takes a couple of years for a guy to seem like he's "your team's guy" instead of what he actually is, a hired talking head. I think working against Anderson is that he hasn't suffered through the lean years and doesn't bring that perspective that all of us have from following them for years.

That's one reason I would have liked Coshun to step in to that spot. He knows the suffering. Heck who wouldn't prefer a Coshun/Nelson booth to an Anderson/Schroeder one?

I believe that was Ken Caminiti for the astros

Just to be hyper-technical, while Caminiti did play for the Astros for most of his career, he won the NL MVP in 1996 as a member of the San Diego Padres. He admitted to using steroids (IIRC, in a Sports Illustrated interview) shortly before passing away in 2004.

Quote:
but a bit of personality wouldn't hurt the broadcast.

That's valid. Sutton and Vasgersian have personality, whether good or bad. Last week I was watching the Padres-Orioles one night. The camera cuts to a bushy haired guy straight out of the 1970's wearing one of those retro Padre hats. Vasgersian doesn't say a word for about 10 seconds. Then the camera cuts back to the action and he says, "nice to see Angel from Rockford Files at the ballpark tonight". Obscure reference to be sure, but I sure miss him. Hopefully Anderson will loosen up with experience.

Bagwell is a legitimate 1st ballot HOF'er. The writers may not see it that way, but they are wrong. He has the 23rd highest OPS in the history of the game.

I personally don't care for BA, I think his rhythm is really strange. He likes to start and stop sentences in really funky places. Then again I wasn't much of a Sutton fan either. Anyone notice Sutton using the term "ironic" way too much and in situations that were never the definition of ironic? How ironic is that...wait...was that ironic or not?

Archived