Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun crushing the National League

splitterpfj

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think those are actually his numbers against all teams - not just the national league (he's appeared in a lot of interleague games).

But I think the point of your post was that he's awesome and I happen to agree. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Braun has been everything and more than I thought he would be. The guy can just flat out hit the baseball. HIs D has been OK too. He'll go through a slump at some point this year but if he keeps it up, he will give it a good run for ROY.

In a small sample versus lefty pitchers, Braun has 14 hits in 27 at bats, with 9 of the hits for extra bases - yes, 1 in every 3 official at bats is an extra base hit....along with 6 walks vs. only 3 strikeouts, this has resulted in a 1.810 OPS against southpaws.

That would be best labelled as sick ladies and gentleman.

Edit: Accuracy

I think those are actually his numbers against all teams - not just the national league

Yes, but he's also comparing Braun's numbers to the other 3B of the NL, hence he's crushing them.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

He has such an ugly approach at the plate but I sure can't argue with the results so far. Still, 114 AB is a pretty small sample, so I'm temperating my enthusiasm. I doubt he'll finish the year with an OPS over 1.000. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It says how awesome Braun has been that he leads the team in OPS, despite the domination that is Prince Fielder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote:
He has such an ugly approach at the plate
There's really no way you're going to convince me of this. I've watched nearly all his ABs this year, and this statement doesn't reflect what I've seen. Does he draw a ton of BBs? No. Will he chase a bit? Yeah. He's a rookie, and I don't understand how his results don't make you satisfied with his approach. Elaborate?

I find that statement curious too. Guy's hitting .340 and his approach is questionable? He drives the ball where it is pitched to all fields. I don't think I've yet to see him pull an outside pitch into a 22 hopper to short. His mechanics are very sound. He has a real short, compact swing, uses his legs well, keeps his hands inside. Please explain what we are missing.

Obviously, I'm answering for someone else here, but I think the gist is that Braun himself is unsatisfied with his own approach. He's stated that his pitch selection is not where it needs to be. He's a percfectionist, it seems, and isn't happy with himself for chasing all those low and away breaking pitches.

His still feeling the adrenaline, he says.

Bill and Brian have been gushing about this the last few games.

It's hard to argue with the results, though, regardless of how he feels.

The only flaw I have seen is that he is overly aggressive, and he swings at some bad pitches. The fact that he is still hitting .342 while doing this speaks volumes. What is he going to hit like once he finally settles in?

The problem is that unless your name's Vlad, you probably can't maintain results like this if you're chasing too much. Soon, opponents will find the pitch you'll chase but can't hit. It seems that a lot of free swingers that start out hot end up having some serious growing pains, like Jeff Francoeur. Braun, fortunately, has a history of being happy taking a walk, so I'm sure he'll show more discipline as he matures.

Because of sample size I reserve the right to take this back later but right now Prince is no longer the best hitter on this team. This guy is clearly the real deal. His current numbers are nuts. 21 RBI in his 1st 29 games in the bigs. That's ridiculous.

The one thing he could improve on , if you're looking for a weakness, would be his walk rate (9 BB/114 AB)and his K rate (27 in 29 games) but other than that he's a complete stud.

He did mention a recent interview that he's working on getting his plate discipline back. Hard to argue with his hacktastic approach when it's producing results right now, but it's reassuring to know that he's concious of what he needs to improve.

Not to go too off topic, but the idea that Vlad is a free swinger just really isn't true. Vlad doesn't walk at a Bond's rate, but he isn't an Estrada or a Soriano. His OBP for his career is about 60 points higher than his BA. Vlad is fairly selective, his hitting zone is just larger than anyone else's ever.

end, to be fair, I think the comparison that strikes many is a very young Vlad, who did fit the bill of 'free swinger.' You're 100% right, though, that he's not anymore. However, he remains a great 'bad ball/pitch' hitter, thus many don't realize he's shed most of his free-hacking ways.

If Braun can mature similarly, and with his focus clearly on improving his discipline I'd bet he will, we'll be lucky!

(I love Vlad!)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived