Brewer Fanatic

NL 1B Voting Update- Prince's lead widens!

patrickgpe
Maybe we need to seek some assistance from a few other message boards. No trading votes or anything like that, but just a good post about why they should vote for Prince and that we'd appreciate the support, and so would Prince of course.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is phenomenal! I know we've done it before (Jenkins added to AS roster via internet voting), but this one is even sweeter: Overcoming Pujols's 'star status' in favor of reality (as in, who has actually been the best 1Bman), earning the starting spot, and really just having the voting reward Prince's hard work thus far!

I put in my 25 weeks ago, and was a bit worried that Pujols would get by on mere name recognition, but the Brewer faithful have come through! Does anyone else think (as lame as this is) that his inside-the-park HR has gotten him a lot more nationwide votes? ESPN acted like they'd never seen Prince run before, and made a big deal about the whole play - which IMO was just a freak occurance. Can you really call it 'amazing/incredible' that he scored after ricochet-ing the ball off the rafters of the Metrodome? That could just as easily have been a single or double.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Does anyone else think (as lame as this is) that his inside-the-park HR has gotten him a lot more nationwide votes?

I heard about Prince edging ahead of Albert during the game last night, and frankly, TLB, that was the first thought both the SO and I had. That ITP homer got enough airtime to lead to a bump the next day.

If the Brewers had just completed a homestand instead of a road trip, I might have thought that extra local voting did the trick; but that's not the case.

Here's hoping that Albert doesn't suddenly get a lot of air time for a freak play that goes his way.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote:
Overcoming Pujols's 'star status' in favor of reality

come on man, that is ridiculous. Pujols is having a very good year and is easily one of the top 10 hitters in major league history. He has the 5th highest career OPS of all time.

Prince is off to a better start, but Pujols in a legendary player. It is totally legit to vote for him over Prince and to act otherwise is laughable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
It is totally legit to vote for him over Prince and to act otherwise is laughable.

If someone thinks the all star game is about 1st half performance and not career achievement then that person might not think it's legit.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Prince being in the lead is really all about a perfect storm of events. 1) Pujols finally came around but he was really bad to start the season and with the Cards way back that is the image that tends to stand out to the voters.

2) Prince is destroying the league in one of the sexy categories: HR. If he was merely out OPSing everyone else no first place

3)The Brewers in first place I'm skeptical that even with everything else without the Brewers being such a big story this year he wouldn't be leading.

4) Name recognition. We know it matters that people recognize his name when they go to fill out the ballot it helps counter the normal antihype the Brewers would get.

Quote:
If someone thinks the all star game is about 1st half performance and not career achievement then that person might not think it's legit.

yeah, maybe, except that Pujols has the 6th highest OPS+ in the NL this year and is a Gold Glover. Prince is 3rd in OPS+ and not a Gold Glover. Pujols is having an excellent season and has the track record to suggest that this isn't a fluke, whereas Prince doesn't yet (though I don't think any of us think this is a fluke).

Again, if Nomar was beating Prince, I would be on the side that says people are voting for "name" only. That's not the case with Pujols at all though.

Here is an article from the Cardinals website imploring the St. Louis faithful to vote for Albert:

Pujols behind Fielder in ASG voting

06/18/2007 7:47 PM ET

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- If Albert Pujols is to be a starter for the fifth time this year, he needs some help. Pujols has fallen to second place among National League first basemen in the latest balloting update.

The 78th All-Star Game will be played on July 10 in San Francisco.

The Cardinals slugger, who has come on strong in June after a slow start by his standards, trails Milwaukee's Prince Fielder. He has been voted in as a starter three times, including twice at first base. Pujols also served as the National League's starting designated hitter in the 2005 All-Star Game, when he was beaten out by Derrek Lee at first base.

Three days of in-stadium balloting remain at Busch Stadium. Ballots will be handed out through Wednesday's game against the Royals. That means that not only Cardinals fans, but KC partisans who know Pujols from his high school days can punch his name on the voting cards.

Fans can cast their votes for starters up to 25 times with the Monster 2007 All-Star Online Ballot at MLB.com and all 30 club sites until June 28 at 10:59 p.m. CT.

Fans will again be given the opportunity to cast an All-Star vote immediately following the 2007 MLB All-Star Game Selection Show Presented by Chevrolet, which will be televised by Turner Sports on Sunday, July 1. Baseball fans around the world will be able to select the final player on each All-Star team via the Monster.com 2007 All-Star Final Vote.

Selecting the rosters isn't the end of the fun in 2007, either. Concluding the All-Star balloting process, fans will have the opportunity to participate in the official voting for the Ted Williams Most Valuable Player presented by Chevrolet at the All-Star Game via the Monster.com 2007 All-Star Game MVP Vote at MLB.com.

The All-Star Game will be televised nationally by FOX Sports and televised around the world by Major League Baseball International. ESPN Radio will provide exclusive national radio coverage, while MLB.com will offer extensive online coverage and MLB Radio will have exclusive play-by-play coverage of the game on the Internet.

Pujols has the best chance of any Cardinal to earn a starting spot. Scott Rolen remains in fifth place among third basemen, but he has a seriously uphill climb -- he's trailing heavyweights David Wright, Miguel Cabrera, Chipper Jones and Aramis Ramirez.

Jim Edmonds has fallen out of the top 15 among National League outfielders.

yeah, maybe, except that Pujols has the 6th highest OPS+ in the NL this year and is a Gold Glover. Prince is 3rd in OPS+ and not a Gold Glover. Pujols is having an excellent season and has the track record to suggest that this isn't a fluke, whereas Prince doesn't yet (though I don't think any of us think this is a fluke).

Again, if Nomar was beating Prince, I would be on the side that says people are voting for "name" only. That's not the case with Pujols at all though.

I see your point -- it's not as though Pujols is having one of those clinker first halves and would be a total embarrassment as a starter. But I think you're giving his voters a little too much credit for sophisticated statistical analysis here. I doubt that 876,849 people looked at his OPS+ and factored in his fielding before voting for him. Many people, I'm sure, probably just voted for him by force of habit (which is somewhat understandable, given how awesome he's been over the start of his career).

there will be an article in the JS soon about a group of about 10 people that go to MP often. How they together punched between 100 and 200 thousand ballots. How MP ran out of all star ballots so they went to wrigley and MN to pick up more. I have seen these guys in action sitting outside before a game punching boxes of ballots at a time.

Quote:
there will be an article in the JS soon about a group of about 10 people that go to MP often. How they together punched between 100 and 200 thousand ballots. How MP ran out of all star ballots so they went to wrigley and MN to pick up more.

If that's the case, I wish they would keep quiet about it. It's not unheard of for commissioners to invalidate certain all-star vote totals (I remember David Stern invalidated Artest's win a few years ago). Hopefully they put the story out after the team is announced.

Archived