Brewer Fanatic

Hancock's Dad Sues Everyone

We shouldn't assume that Mr. Hancock is the scum of the earth

FTJ, I agree with you there. It is Mr. Hancock's lawyer that is the true scum of the Earth. Just another example of how over litigated our society is in America, and how unable to accept personal or parental responsibility Americans have become.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
FTJ, I agree with you there. It is Mr. Hancock's lawyer that is the true scum of the Earth.

Disagree. He took the case brought to him. Lawyers don't decide to sue people, people do. Its like saying doctors are the cause of death. You can feel free to sue on your own if you want to, no lawyer required.

People thinking they are entitled to recover for every little slight are the problem. Don't blame the system.

I love the part of the law that states a bartender isn't allowed to serve someone likely to become intoxicated. While I guess there goes 80% of bar business. If you enter a bar and plan on having more than one drink than you need to know how you plan on getting home. It's not a secret that alcohol makes you imparied everyone knows this going in so they need to take responsiblity and have a plan for how to get home. The fact that he turned down a cab has to be enough to save the bar. What does the bartender need to do force him in to the bartenders car and drive him home himself? Nobody wants to take any responsiblity for anything they do anymore.

• 1 month later...
I don't know guys, FTJ makes some good points...I agree that Josh clearly made several bad choices but for example lets say that tow truck or the stalled car was not all the way on the shoulder and was in the lane partially...I could totally see partial but significant responsibility in a case like that. Who really knows? Nobody at this point. I don't blame the father if he believes someone is partially at fault here. Sure his son made the stupid choice to drive, but that doesn't mean that someone else didn't do something that contributed to the accident as well.

[ Beast Light,

If you read earlier discussions on this site, you'll see that Fatter Than Joey is no proponent of personal responsibility. His opinions on this come as no surprise to me at all. ]

We don't look kindly on ad hominem arguments here at Brewerfan.net. Add something to the thread by arguing the point, not the person.

Al, in light of Brian's post immediately above yours, I'm curious to know exactly what constructive point you mean to add to the discussion. Are you intimating that Hancock's father is so deranged that he would sue somebody for dying? Or are you suggesting that anyone who believes multiple actors might share responsibility for a catastrophic event deserves ridicule?

Just to be clear, I don't believe Hancock's lawsuit has merit, and I suspect (I use that word only because I don't know all the facts) that his son deserves the blame for the crash. But this thread has turned into an ideological soapbox for some folks here who have a particular understanding of "personal responsibility" (which in this context is every bit as politically loaded a term as "quota" or "amnesty"). I respectfully suggest that the thread should either be locked or that the moderators should invite everyone to take off the gloves and have a serious socio-political debate about what "responsibility" really does/should mean.

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived