Brewer Fanatic

Braun's success against lefties -- A reason why.

I was in St Louis for the doubleheader Saturday, and although the baseball stunk, the park was cool and I had fun. (for the most part) However, I was fortunate enough to sit right behind Ryan Braun's dad. Unfortunately, I didn't know he was until the 6th inning, so I didn't get to talk to him as much as I'd of liked.

So anyway, he goes on to mention Braun dominating lefties this year. He said the reason he's doing so well is becuase since he was 4 years old, he's been batting against his dad, who's a lefty.

I suppose this could be a major reason for his ridiculous hitting against lefties, as he's seen it since a very young age and can pick up the ball better perhaps. I checked out his line against lefties in Nashville, and wasn't surprised to see it just as high as it's been this year in the bigs.

I was wondering what your takes are on this, whether its a solid reason or if it has any correlation at all. And below is just for admiration.

.516 / .559 / 1.129 / 1.688 vs. lefties Nashville

.500 / .560 / 1.109 / 1.669 vs. lefties Milwaukee

Wow. Just.......... wow.

edit: Braun -brad

added tag --1992

I think it's at least plausible. If may have had thousands of extra AB against his Dad. I can pretty much guarantee that his splits will even out some eventually. He's not always going to have a .800 OPS differential!

I think it's at least plausible.

I definitely do -- Thinking back to my days as a kid -- My old man was a RHP -- all my coaches were RHP as well -- I can only think of a couple of kids that I faced that were LHP.

Every kid that grows up, is going to see plentiful RHP, but probably not LHP. I would think it would be an advantage to have a dad that could throw 1000s of pitches as a LHP over the course of a childhood.

Quote:
Jenkins dad kicked the ball to him, that might explain his woes hitting righties and lefties.

Also his propensity to swing at everything that bounces before it gets to the plate. LOL

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I too think that it could be a reason why he hits better against lefties..add that to the fact that he is right handed and can see the ball coming out of a left handers hand really well.

this is kinda the same. I learned how to switch hit really well from playing with my brother in the back yard. We would have HR derbys and hit the ball. He is 5 years younger than me so to even it out, I would have to hit right handed(i'm left handed). I would be willing to be most switch hitter learned in some similar way.

The fact that Braun's dad was a lefty has been printed and reported before. A few weeks ago a reporter asked Braun why he was so succesful against lefties and he said probably because of his dad. Thanks for the inside scoop though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Quote:
The fact that Braun's dad was a lefty has been printed and reported before. A few weeks ago a reporter asked Braun why he was so succesful against lefties and he said probably because of his dad. Thanks for the inside scoop though.

No problem. When he told me I had never heard it before, but I assumed it must have been reported a couple times. I decided to share the info because since I had never heard it, there must of been others here on bf.net that hadn't either. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Quote:
Estrada's dad would only throw one ball a day

That's because Johnny would swing and miss and when you play without a Catcher as we all know, you have to go get the ball yourself. Well, legend has it that it would take Johnny so long to get to the ball and by the time he got back would be dark out, and they wouldn't be able to play anymore.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Hence the reason his Dad only threw one ball a day.

Someone brought this up in a different post (sorry, I don't remember

where or when), but Braun seems like a completely different hitter

after the 6th or

7th inning. Is there somewhere that has his splits based by inning, or

after a certain inning, or something to that effect?

I could only find his HR totals for different innings.

Innings 1-3: 11 HR

Innings 4-6: 6 HR

Innings 7+: 2 HR

15HR have come with the game tied or from behind. 4HR have come leading.

3TO Apostle

Archived