Brewer Fanatic

Biggio HOF?

StatPipes

I am an Astros fan, and find it somewhat laughable that people still are trying to find ways to say Biggio shouldn't be a Hall of Famer.

His numbers:

7-time Allstar(including 2 positions, catcher and 2nd)

3,002 hits

658 doubles(most ever by a right-hand hitter)

286 homers

413 steals

1828 runs scored

1152 rbi's

.282 career average

also all time modern day HBP leader

all time NL leader in lead-off homers

I truly believe if he would have played in a bigger market this would be a no-brainer. I personally think he is a first ballot HOF anyway. However, I am looking for some non-partisan views, and ya'll seem to be baseball educated and can give me your thoughts.

I really don't see how those numbers qualify him for the Hall of Fame.

Just kidding. If those numbers do not get you in, I don't know what you have to do. He has been a machine for many years. When you consider that he played the majority of his career at 2B, I don't know how anyone could justify keeping him out.

He strikes me as a played so long he makes the hall of fame type guy but I still think he makes it in. It won't be the end of the world for me if he is second ballet though, really depends on the competition.

The way I look at it he's been below average for 1.5 years now and pretty average over the past 5.5 years. 6 years ago I wouldn't have said he was a HOF player and 5.5 pretty average years tacked onto what he already has doesn't make a strong case to me. I think he makes it but I don't think he's a sure thing HOF player either.

yeah you got me there, I know he broke Don Baylor's modern day record, but now they are saying 2nd to the all time record, who knows, I don't really consider that stat a huge deal anyway. But you are right, I need to proofread!

I'd thought Biggio was the all-time leader in HBP, too. and that Weeks, though it's obviously early, is currently way over Biggio's pace.

Biggio's totally in. what a great player he was. maybe 500 HRs isn't a watermark anymore, but 3,000 hits sure is. you can't inject that ability. Biggio is not doubt at all. now Bagwell, on the other hand...

Bill James, I believe, called Biggio the best player of the 1990s, or at least the best player in baseball for a significant chunk of the 1990s. He's an easy first-ballot HoFer. He didn't need 3000 hits, and I wish he had retired on a higher note.

Greg.

Quote:
He strikes me as a played so long he makes the hall of fame type guy but I still think he makes it in. It won't be the end of the world for me if he is second ballet though, really depends on the competition.

He is First ballot HOF, no question...the numbers and the way he plays the game screams HOF...If he isn't first Ballot than nobody should be...I dont' care who else goes in with him, Biggio is a class guy who played the game hard for 20 years...kind of reminded me of a Brewer what was his name? Yount that's right!

Of course he'll be in the HOF. 3000+ hits while playing much of his career as a middle infielder (and starting it as a catcher!) makes this accomplishment very remarkable. That said, I probably would have preferred that he retired a year or two ago when it was obvious that his skills had deteriorated significantly. To me, he already had earned his way into the HOF at least two years ago.

He also needs to be in the Good guy hall of fame and Bustin' Ass H.O.F.

If and when he announces that it is his last year, i really hope that my fellow Brewer fans give him a standing ovation his first and last at bats in his last game at Miller Park. Other then being a thorn in the Brewers side how can you hate the guy. If i were to make a tape of ball players to show my kids how to play the game, he would have a good portion on it.

Archived