Brewer Fanatic

Some Latin poder.

One of the coolest baseball moments of my life was going as a kid in the 80s to an El Paso Diablos game, when they were still affiliated with the Brewers and played at their rickety old stadium. It was quarter beer night and they were playing an exhibition with the Juarez team from across the river (which, incidentally, is where Higuera came from). Busty cheerleaders atop the dugout, strange mascots, constant whistling and chants in Spanish: it was as exciting a baseball game as I have ever seen.

Quote:
It was a nice post Stein. Too bad the thread turned into a total crapfest due to poster's other agendas.
I agree. Nice idea for a thread!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Greg, I finally found the article. It remains as embarrassing as I recall...I compared it on Ramblings to a white writer saying the Bucks should add some white fellas to the team...just because they were white.

Honestly, I cannot believe he still works there. He just puts race in various current events and madlibs a column out of it.

Kane saying the Brewers need more minority players

Quote:
I'm not a rabid baseball fan, but even I know the last star black player on the Brewers roster was current MVP candidate Gary Sheffield, who left here in 1991. -- Eugene Kane

Greg Vaughn was not a star. That "Vaughn's Valley" sign in left field was unauthorized!

Al, thanks for finding the link. I read the column very differently than you do, but I don't get the sense that you're interested in a respectful exchange of views, so I'm going to drop it. In the spirit of the original post, I'll just say I love that the Brewers are looking in so many directions for talent and finding so much of it.

Greg.

Al, you've shifted what had been a positive discussion of diversity and quality into a savage attack on an article that you and I seem to remember very differently.

A "savage attack"? I think you are going a little overboard there, gregmag.

Al, I actually do remember the article by the infamous Eugene Kane and that is pretty much the basis for every article he ever writes. I think his act has gotten pretty old and I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of a job in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

add guillermo mota, salomon torres, mike rivera and abraham nunez to the mix of potential opening day roster players. and waiting in the wings are alcides escobar, hernan iribarren and ozzie chavez.

now i know the real reason we jettisoned johnny estrada.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived