Brewer Fanatic

Where has Jason Bay gone?

endaround

Unfortunately I don't have any answers, but I've been wondering the same thing for most of the season. His name used to be all over the place, and suddenly disappeared this year. Maybe the HR Derby goose egg had some sort of mental effect on him...roughly equivalent of Pujols/Lidge http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

A .568 OPS in the month of June came out of nowhere. He had a more normal .923 OPS coming in then bam. The Pirates really cant buy a break. LaRoche who had a .915 OPS last season is in the tank, now Bay too, and before his back injury DL today Oliver Perez had started to revert to 04 form for the Mets

Bay still isn't really doing that bad though. Obviously not up to his normal numbers, but If he raises his average about .020 points he is back on pace to do what he did last year minus the stolen bases.

In June (98 AB), same amount of walks, same amount of Ks and same amount of HRs. His BABIP was just silly low for June. Unless he's hiding a nagging injury, I'd think he's likely to bounce back any day.

Quote:
The guy had a .911 OPS June!

Pretty good, but not what you'd expect from a guy who had a 23 page thread of praises and hyperboles about him last year ("Can Bill Hall Pitch&quothttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .

He needs to live up to our random and high expectations. Them's the breaks.

Edit: Put intended ironic statements in blue.

Quote:
Pretty good, but not what you'd expect from a guy who had a 23 page thread of praises and hyperboles about him last year ("Can Bill Hall Pitch&quothttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .

Pretty rough crowd considering that OPS in June was higher than his OPS last season. Yeah he needs to keep it up but he most certainly seems to be out of the slump.

No doubt that Hall is out of that April and most of May slump, but I think he will hit even better. I still think he can have one of those 5 or 6 HR's in a week stretches.

Edit: Getting back to Jason Bay like Hall and like Vernon Wells he will start to pick it up and put up numbers close to what he is used to.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote:
Pretty rough crowd considering that OPS in June was higher than his OPS last season. Yeah he needs to keep it up but he most certainly seems to be out of the slump.

I was kidding. I figured the irony of someone not living up to a thread's fantasies was obvious enough so as to omit the blue.

I'm really happy to see Billy tearing it up again. I'm almost happier that it seems like the Crew seems to heat up in shifts so when somebody slows down, somebody else is picking up the slack (except for May which sucked all across the board it seemed.)

i've been thinking about bay a lot over the past few weeks as i had him as a keeper in my fantasy league...the conclusion i finally came to was to trade him...here's why:

Jason's had a terrific peak, and he's been very good for the last three years, but he was only genuinely elite in one of those years (2005)---his age 27 year...his average and extra base hit totals declined quite a bit in 2006...and they have gone even further this year...Jason has also lost all of his stolen base ability...so, he's gone from looking like a genuine superstar, to someone like jeromy burnitz...which is about wher ei think he'll stay for the next 3-5 seasons...he's good, he's just not elite...

i think he'll finish the year around .870 on the OPS scale with 30 bombs, but a .270 average and 30 doubles...that's just who he is...

[ Pretty good, but not what you'd expect from a guy who had a 23 page thread of praises and hyperboles about him last year ("Can Bill Hall Pitch&quothttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .

He needs to live up to our random and high expectations. Them's the breaks.

.911 OPS = pretty good? That puts him at 5th in the majors for all centerfielders for the month. The top 17% percentile is more than pretty good, if you ask me.

Archived