Brewer Fanatic

Is sending Rickie down impossible?

Im sorry but I have been saying this for months now, is sending Rickie Weeks down really THAT bad of an idea? Seriously, its not like he will be the first person to just not be able to hit his first time up, but throwing him out there everyday is like refusing to admit the Brewers are wrong. He has yet to prove he is a big league hitter. Tony Graff is heating up, I think we would benifit more with him starting. Look at Prince, Braun and even Hardy, they all have hit, except Weeks. If you would of asked which one of our future stars would of failed or been a bust, I bet no one would of said Rickie Weeks, everyone would of said either Hardy or Corey "The Hitman" Hart. Im not saying he is a bust.. yet. Am i wrong and thinking this?

yeah, i think you are wrong

He has nothing left to prove at AAA and has established himself as a legit starting second baseman in the major leagues. We arent in a position to bench a vastly more talented player for tony graffanino. He isnt a superstar just yet but you will be hard pressed to find a better #8 hitter in the league right now

Not including today. SINCE May 1st. Rickie is batting 26 for 114 for a batting avg. of .228 with zero home runs and seven rbi's and 4 stolen bases. This guy came into the year as a lead off hitter. He was SUPPOSE to be hitting from 2-6 in the order not 8th.

Many wanted Hardy sent to AAA to start this season, saying he hadn't proven anything offensively, and Weeks showed more offensively than JJ the last two seasons. I think Rickie just needs plenty of rest and probably at least 1 more DL stint this season. With his PT being limited, his rhythm may also be thrown off which could also be adding to his struggles.

He's not going to be sent to AAA unless its on a rehab assignment, and he is still producing adequately for a 2B. Rickie's '08 and '09 should be fun to watch. I'm not worried about him, '07 just may not be his year to put up numbers due to injury.

I completely understand the frustration, but I don't know that a sojourn in the PCL is going to make his wrist feel any better. I think he just needs to grind it out over the second half, put up some halfway respectable numbers, and then get his act together for 2008. (This is not by any means an ideal scenario, but I think it's about the best we can hope for.)

Quote:
you will be hard pressed to find a better #8 hitter in the league right now

Who are you, Rickie's agent?

The guy is batting .230. And falling. He seldom makes solid contact. He hasn't hit a HR since April. He's awful with RISP.

I'm tired of hearing people say, "Just wait until he's healthy."

If he's not healthy now, then he shouldn't be in the lineup. He's not helping the team.

Verified Member

Bruach I believe your statement is wrong. Weeks has prooven very little if any since being in the major leagues. The only thing he is established is the fact he knows how to get hurt, has improoving defense, and his name. Might sound dumb, but if Weeks wasnt such a high prospect he would have already been sent down and the bashing would be ridiculous.

I also agree with the first poster, I rather have Graffy playing 2B then Weeks. Play the player who deserves to play rather then the one you want. Graffy has been hot lately and Weeks has been downright terrible since coming off the DL. Yet Weeks plays more?

Who would you advocate putting into the lineup in his place? Graffanino or Counsell? Come on guys. He is slumpinng right now but he is way better than either of those two guys.

Rickie has been playing plus defense and getting on base at a decent clip given his low batting average. Heck is OPS is still .746 Not great but better than Graffy or Cousell. He is still a stolen base threat getting on at a .340 clip

Is he what I thought he was going to be? Well, no but I cant think he will do worse than what he is doing right now and that isnt that bad. Sending him to AAA solves nothing.

Quote:
Graffy has been hot lately and Weeks has been downright terrible since coming off the DL. Yet Weeks plays more?

Because Weeks is the long term answer and an old fart like Graffy is not. Weeks will be here much longer than Graffy and has better stats this season. Their defense is about the same and Weeks is a better base runner. Thats why Weeks is playing more.

Let's use this thread: Whats is Rickie's problem? Is he hurting or confused?.

While the titles are different, both threads are headed down the same read as 'catch-all' Rickie threads.

Feel Free to copy and paste your messages.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived