Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Bargain Bin Wish List

Picciolo

As we approach the trade deadline, is there a Blue Light special out there who you'd like to see in a Brewers uni for the stretch run (or even as an insurance policy in the minors)?

A year ago, I had Oliver Perez on my wish list. This year it's Chad Orvella of the Devil Rays. His story is somewhat similar to Ollie's -- he's in a bad organization, good stuff, bad pitching coach, mechanics a bit of a mess thanks to some unnecessary tinkering. He's got late inning stuff but just needs a good pitching coach & a better environment, IMO. A trade would do him as good as it did for Ollie, IMO.

He has struggled in his MLB stints, but he has absolutely dominated AAA (and he's on a tear since his latest demotion). I don't think he's a 4A pitcher though -- his stuff is too good. I think the Brewers could get him very cheaply as I don't think Joe Maddon likes Orvella & Chad has had a couple failed stints in the bigs.

Any other bargains out there or any thoughts about Chad?

Do you really think the Brewers are in the "searching for nuggets" mode? They might have been the last 5 years or more, but this year, it should be the opposite. This year we toss a few of our nuggets out there and catch a real ball player to help for the stretch. Even if we did pick up the guy you like, where would he fit on the roster? Where would he get playing time, with all the games being meaningful? Why would we need another project in AAA with Parra, Balfour, Dillard and Sarfate already trying to crack the big club? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see this happening.

One question: How/where did you find out that Jim Hickey is a "bad pitching coach?" I had thought this guy was pretty good. He came from the Astros, where he and Maddux were developing a staff of young pitchers that went to the World Series and playoffs. More details please.

Quote:
Do you really think the Brewers are in the "searching for nuggets" mode? They might have been the last 5 years or more, but this year, it should be the opposite. This year we toss a few of our nuggets out there and catch a real ball player to help for the stretch. Even if we did pick up the guy you like, where would he fit on the roster? Where would he get playing time, with all the games being meaningful? Why would we need another project in AAA with Parra, Balfour, Dillard and Sarfate already trying to crack the big club? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I just don't see this happening.

One question: How/where did you find out that Jim Hickey is a "bad pitching coach?" I had thought this guy was pretty good. He came from the Astros, where he and Maddux were developing a staff of young pitchers that went to the World Series and playoffs. More details please.

When he gets canned in the next couple of months we can talk about how great of a pitching coach he is. If he's such a great pitching coach, show me one good thing that has happened to the Rays under his watch other than Shields. If he's so great, why is he overhauling the mechanics of a late inning reliever so that he can get to first a little quicker?

Orvella's stuff is better than everyone you mention except for maybe Parra, but they play different positions (Balfour? Are you kidding me?). Last I checked, we have piles of crap like Shouse and Spurling on our staff. If our AAA insurance is so great, how are they not on this frickin roster?

Why would you ever overlook an opportunity to grab a high ceiling player for very cheap just because we're better and we have some overrated depth?

Quote:
"We feel like we've got a lot of depth in that department," Brewers manager Ned Yost said.

Quote:
At the top of the Minor League depth chart currently is right-hander Grant Balfour, who is making a comeback from Tommy John elbow surgery. Balfour had a 2.11 ERA in 28 games between Double-A Huntsville and Nashville through Saturday.

Gord Ash was recently quoted as saying Balfour has a "Plus Fastball" and a "Plus Slider" as well.

It's a tough call. Who should we believe, major league front office personnel, or someone who refers to people who have actually earned their way to be major league ball players as "piles of crap?"

Rich Harden...Caps Locked....Bolded...5 Exclamation Points. I get giddy whenever I imagine Billy Beane trying to outsmart the 'stache on a deal for the top Canadian in baseball, with all due respect to the NL All-Star converted 3rd baseman and a certain AL MVP who can't seem to perform until after American Independence Day. Outside of the Big Six (Sheets, Hart, Yo, Braun, Prince, Hardy), anyone could be the centerpiece, though Rickie would definitely be a big AND for me to include such a young, sapped stud at a low value point. Everyone else, Hall, CoCo, Cappy, a well-travelled Ponch, would be met with a sly smile, imagining Sheets/Harden/Yo...That's a Big Three!

While I always like seeing Melvin swidle a AAA nugget from another organization, I have to agree that if the Brewers are shopping during this season, they will go after a proven Major Leaguer. Most often, this is a "rent-a-player," and out of this year's crop, I would like to see the Brewers acquire Adam Dunn.

Jenkins is due to go into his two-month long slump any time now, which will hurt our offense. Even if this doesn't happen, Dunn is still a siginificant upgrade. Could you imagine the lineup with Hart, Hardy, Fielder, Dunn, Braun, Hall, Estrada, Weeks? That's a murderer's row.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I doubt if Doug is looking for "nuggets" right now, but he'd be happy to add one as part of a package or over the winter. Sarfate for Orvella might be a good idea, as both seem to have hit a wall.

And no, I don't think any MLB player, especially performing nicely, should be called "crap".

Do you really think the Brewers are in the "searching for nuggets" mode?

Not like we were in the "scrap heap era" when we acquired guys like Doug Davis, Dan Kolb and Brady Clark -- but even Claudio Vargas has helped our team, and will likely improve our investment in him this season when he is traded.

I think there are 2 trades I would like to see be made.

1.) A major type of trade that would get us a non-platoon LFer, now I am not sure who that player would be, but something like Jr. for Jenks + Vargas. (Disclaimer: I only use this as an illustration, I realize that there are salary issues, and I am not endorsing the acquistion of this specific player, etc.)

2.) Assuming Cordero leaves us after this season, I would love to see a trade for someone like Otsuka, which while would give us insane BP depth for 2007, would really be a move more for 2008. If DM thinks he can sign Cordero past this season, than this sort of move does not need to happen. Losing Cordero will be the biggest potential loss we will have at the end of 2007, and I am not real hot on moving Villy or Bush to the closer role.

A major type of trade that would get us a non-platoon LFer
I'm not sure it's even necessary to set sights that high. I'd be happy with a right hander who could platoon with Jenkins, but could still hit righties in pinch hitting and spot start situations.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm not sure it's even necessary to set sights that high.

Of course you are 100% right, and I would be thrilled to get a replacement for Mench.

But on my "Bargain Bin Wish List" I would like to see Jenks+Mench replaced http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

1. A quality LOOGY

2. A quality LOOGY

3. A quality LOOGY

Damaso Marte, please.

Of course, I'd love to see Otsuka added to the pen, and I'd be ecstatic if Melvin somehow upgraded the right handed half of the Jenks platoon, but the former is a luxury, and the latter seems implausible.

The LOOGY is a necessity.

I think come September, Manny Parra would be a devastating LOOGY.

Also, I don't think we can ever stop thinking about mining nuggets that could pan out. Seven years of committed drafting and developing is finally coming home to roost, and while the major league level has lots of intriguing folks that will be around awhile, we still have to be thinking about finding guys with high ceilings who might develop down the road.

They will not be in the tryout mode in September. Parra, if up at all, is unlikely to be used as a late inning guy.

I don't know, Al. When rosters expand on 9/1, and with lefties batting below .090 against Parra this year, I would not be surprised if they had had on the roster to use situationally down the stretch.

I agree they won't be in the "tryout" mode....they won't give him a start to two to see what he can do. That's not my point. I do think Parra can be valuable as a situational lefty come September though when the rosters expand anyway.

Quote:
When he gets canned in the next couple of months we can talk about how great of a pitching coach he is. If he's such a great pitching coach, show me one good thing that has happened to the Rays under his watch other than Shields. If he's so great, why is he overhauling the mechanics of a late inning reliever so that he can get to first a little quicker?

Couldn't anybody else in baseball have said this exact same thing about Mike Maddux about 3-5 years ago? I think so.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I agree...I think that is how we'll first see him in Milwaukee, and depending on his success, perhaps seeing an increased role (later in the game in more pressure) if he succeeds in the lower pressure situations.

If what they say about Parra - that it takes him a while to warm up because of his injury history - then that would make it hard to put him in the bullpen.

LOOGY - Jamie Walker, Orioles.

He has the experience from playing in the WS last year for Detriot. Good numbers - 3.23 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, .626 OPS-A. This year he has been even better vs. righties than lefties, but that defies his 3-year (2004-2006) average. Plus with his age - 36 - he wouldn't require a top prospect. The O's are out of it too, so they should be looking to retool.

Marte would be good too. Pitched for White Sox in post season two years ago. Would probably have to give up more for him. Otsuka would be nice, and probably easier to get given his age (35). Gagne would cost a lot.

Now is the time to use some of those mid-level prospects (Sarfate, Dillard, Nelson, Moss, Fermaint, Escobar, the glut of A/A+ OFs) to make a run for it.

Parra or Thatcher will be our extra LOOGY, I'd imagine. No need to give up a player when you already have a couple guys who excel at retiring lefties. If neither is deemed 'ready', then by all means please add another LOOGY.

Quote:
I doubt if Doug is looking for "nuggets" right now
Doug is always looking for nuggets. I heard he even tried to trade for Iverson - to add some (outside) scoring punch and gritty, verteran leadership...

Seriously, I know what you mean in that we need some fixed, tangible player(s) as opposed to just 'build for the future,' but one of the best things about Doug is that he's got great scouting to help him, & will always be all about snagging a nug. That's what Dougies do best!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sarfate for Orvella might be a good idea, as both seem to have hit a wall.

Bingo. If you have your eye on a guy like that, you need to get him in AAA as insurance, as he's never succeeded in the bigs. If the crew has another pitcher they've given up on, that's the kinda deal you make for a guy who's a gamble and has a good chance of not contributing. Also, as has been mentioned, we already may have some in-house options like Balfour that would get a look before Orvella.

Archived