Brewer Fanatic

Sigh... no extension buzz anywhere

There are still three weeks left in spring but we're also three weeks into spring. Across baseball there hasn't been much in the way of extension buzz but absolutely nothing out of the Brewers camp.

At this point do we just write off the idea that one of the three is going to get extended?

A frustrating situation on its own but given what we've heard from Burnes and Adames, it's hard not to be pretty negative about that particular aspect of the organization right now.

6 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

At this point do we just write off the idea that one of the three is going to get extended?

Yes on Burnes and Adames.  Still have hope they can get something done with Woody but that is starting to fade.

• Like 1

Just curious why everyone thinks Woodruff is our best shot at an extension.  Has he ever made a comment that makes so many think it is possible?

I'm telling you guys, just accept that they are all moving on and hope for big returns via trade. 

As much as it is going to suck to lose all 3, I feel a lot better when I don't think there is any chance than I do playing the hoping game.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

Because he's the oldest out of the three and projects to receive the smallest FA contract of the three.

Ok, but that doesn't mean we can afford him, and since I have not heard anything that he is even open to it, I don't think we can assume he is anything close to an option.

Had he said something, then I could get on board with a sliver of hope

I think it is unrealistic for us to think we have a shot at an extension with any of them.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

2 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

There are still three weeks left in spring but we're also three weeks into spring. Across baseball there hasn't been much in the way of extension buzz but absolutely nothing out of the Brewers camp.

A frustrating situation on its own but given what we've heard from Burnes and Adames, it's hard not to be pretty negative about that particular aspect of the organization right now.

Adames is seemingly asking for top of the line SS money despite a career wRC+ of 111, a career best xwOBA of .325, and walk/strikeout numbers that paint a picture towards a hitter that might not age well.

Community Moderator
8 minutes ago, wiguy94 said:

Adames is seemingly asking for top of the line SS money despite a career wRC+ of 111, a career best xwOBA of .325, and walk/strikeout numbers that paint a picture towards a hitter that might not age well.

Those are excellent numbers for a shortstop. Over a career, a wRC+ of 120 at SS is elite, 110 is well above average. Then you factor in Adames' defense and you have a 4-4.5 WAR/year player as he has been for the past two seasons. Plus the fact that he's hitting FA at 29, so you can see why he's due for a massive payday. 

I wouldn't pay market rate, but it is what it is. Wily is no Turner or Boegarts but he's clearly in the tier right below them. 

4 minutes ago, owbc said:

Those are excellent numbers for a shortstop. Over a career, a wRC+ of 120 at SS is elite, 110 is well above average. Then you factor in Adames' defense and you have a 4-4.5 WAR/year player as he has been for the past two seasons. Plus the fact that he's hitting FA at 29, so you can see why he's due for a massive payday. 

I wouldn't pay market rate, but it is what it is. Wily is no Turner or Boegarts but he's clearly in the tier right below them. 

I’d give Adames the contract Dansby Swanson or Javier Baez got, but I have the feeling he doesn’t want to accept those deals. 

If he could combine his Brewers 2021 bat and 2022 defense he would be worth top tier money, but I’m not sure that’s ever going to happen for him

The Brewers already inked Ashby to a contract extension this offseason that included some option years that could buy out a few free agent years - and that type of extension is exactly what the Brewers need to continue trying to make happen.  In no way do I want the Brewers to try and extend guys on the doorstep of free agency at what amounts to the current FA market rates for their respective positions - particularly for pitchers who will be on the wrong side of 30 when they hit free agency (Woody), or for a good but not elite shortstop with a career OPS well below 0.800. 

Hey, if Billy Beane can do it, so can Matt Arnold, right???

Though, I think Woodruff is definitely extendable and would be comfortable giving him a 4-5 year deal in the Wheeler/Castillo/Berrios range. We're going to need an ace if want to capitalize on this next wave of position talent, and there's a dearth in our farm system right now as far as high-end pitching goes. Yeah, there's a chance he's not worth it by the 4th or 5th year, but I think the potential payoff is big enough that you do it. And I actually think Brandon is more likely to age gracefully than Corbin due to his build and heater/changeup combo. But if it's going to get done, you want it to get done sooner than later, as the price will only go up from here if he pitches like we all expect this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrTPlush said:

Yelich’s extension came out of nowhere in ST…so anything is possible.

This was going to be my comment. Brewers are one of the best teams at keeping that stuff in house. Nobody heard a peep before Peralta and Ashby inked extensions. I'm sure they are discussing where they deem it appropriate, but it takes 2 sides to make a deal.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ewitkows1 said:

Let's get Mitchell and Sal locked up. The time is past on the big 3 we'll never get them at a number we can afford.

I would wait a little on Mitchell. Still very much open questions about his bat, though his start to the spring has been encouraging.

And as high as I am on Frelick, I would wait a little on him, too. If he starts hitting like he has in the minors, then go ahead, but I'm hesitant to extend anyone who hasn't already had some form of production in the majors. 

Maybe someone should ask the principal owner his thoughts.  That is if you can find him.  Is he even in Arizona?  Perhaps he is chocking on the bite of the apple he took.  Maybe someone should do a welfare check to make sure he is okay.. 

• Disagree 4

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
4 hours ago, BlightyBrew said:

Maybe someone should ask the principal owner his thoughts.  That is if you can find him.  Is he even in Arizona?  Perhaps he is chocking on the bite of the apple he took.  Maybe someone should do a welfare check to make sure he is okay.. 

You do realize that owning the Brewers is sorta his side hustle, right?

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

You do realize that owning the Brewers is sorta his side hustle, right?

And his investment. The way sports franchises are booming in value I wonder if he might look to sell as others have speculated. MA has talked about passing on the team to his kids but I have to wonder if he asked them, "Do you want to own this small market team and the ungrateful fans that come with it or would you prefer billions of dollars instead?" They just might be ok taking the money and running.

• Like 2
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Burnes will be too expensive, and seems to be the poster boy for the union to try to set the market as a free agent. No chance on him.

I'd rather have Turang plus the money saved between his price tag vs Adames, plus the prospects we'll get back in trade. Play Adames one more year, then trade him and let Turang man the position for the next six years.

Woodruff is probably going to look for a longer deal than the Brewers should be willing to sign. He turned 30 last month, so he'll be going into free agency in his age 32 season. He'll get one shot at a long-term deal, so it would be dumb for him to settle for an extension buying out a couple of free agent years. He'll get $10.8M this year, and probably $15M or so next year and then someone will sign him to a deal that takes him into his late 30's. The Brewers shouldn't sign him to a deal that takes him to his late 30's, so I don't see them matching up.

Enjoy the team this year, in what will probably be the last year with those three guys. It's also the year that some of our prospects will get some necessary MLB experience. We'll get a lot of young talent back next offseason to go along with the guys we already have, and we'll have a lot of money freed up to make some "fill in the gap" free agent signings (guys like Avi Garcia who sign 1-2 year deals to start). We'll extend some of our young talent and continue in the attempt to remain "continually competitive." 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

4 hours ago, SeaBass said:

And his investment. The way sports franchises are booming in value I wonder if he might look to sell as others have speculated. MA has talked about passing on the team to his kids but I have to wonder if he asked them, "Do you want to own this small market team and the ungrateful fans that come with it or would you prefer billions of dollars instead?" They just might be ok taking the money and running.

I think its safe to say whatever the fans think of the owner is likely irrelevant to him and his family. Attanasio's hedge fund has billions of dollars in assets it manages, he's one of the largest landowners in Los Angeles, and he owns a couple of different sports teams. His family is already fantastically rich and his unborn grandchildren will likely be fantastically rich regardless of what happens with the Brewers.  

Frankly, the extension topic is played out. If the Brewers could get any of their marquee players to sign a below market deal, it would have happened already and it makes little to no sense for the team to commit market rate dollars to any player nearing free agency so I don't understand waiting for the other shoe to drop when it's not going to happen. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlightyBrew said:

Do you worry about anything other than Mark Attanasio’s current location? It is kinda creepy man.

I wish the mods would cut down on this. Think Attanasio is a bum, fine, but the same repetitive weird post just to invite some kind of no constructive fight in the comment section gets old.

There are many posters here displeased with Attanasio, but they at least try to make constructive opinions. Not just ask where he is.

• Like 4