Brewer Fanatic

Article: Could Blake Perkins Make the Opening Day Roster?

Way back in November, the Brewers signed outfielder Blake Perkins to a split contract, after he'd become a minor-league free agent at the end of the 2022 season. After his Cactus League homer Saturday, and in light of the injuries plaguing the team's outfielders, he might make the club,.

Image courtesy of © Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports

The definition of a minor-league journeyman, Blake Perkins is now on his fourth professional organization, all since being a second-round pick by the Nationals in 2015. He was traded to the Royals as part of a package for Kelvin Herrera in 2018, became a minor-league free agent for the first time after 2021, and signed with the Yankees. He first reached Double A in 2019, but scuffled there, played nowhere during the pandemic season of 2020, struggled again at Double A in 2021, and didn't make it to Triple A until the late stages of 2022. 

In his lone year with the Yankees, though, Perkins did discover something. His power shot up, thanks to a reengineered swing that yielded many more fly balls. 

Blake Perkins, Batted Ball Distribution, 2018-22

Season GB % LD % FB %
2018 48.4 17.3 34.3
2019 43.9 18.8 37.3
2021 48 20.9 31.1
2022 33.8 20.4 45.8

He showed off that newfound power with a homer in Saturday's rout of the Giants in Arizona. It was his first hit of the spring, and he's just 1-10 in the early going, but he also has three walks and just two strikeouts. The latter is characteristic of him: he's run high walk rates throughout most of his pro career. The Brewers love guys with a patient approach and good knowledge of the zone, and Perkins has that.

Hitting the ball hard regularly will help him stay on fans' radar throughout the spring, but the reason he's an increasingly interesting candidate for the Opening Day roster is the same as the reason the Brewers gave him a 40-man roster spot when they signed him months ago: he can play solid defense at all three outfield positions. With Tyrone Taylor out for a while and Tyler Naquin scratched Saturday with a nagging shoulder issue, the path to the parent club is getting wider, especially for someone who can back up Garrett Mitchell in center field. Sal Frelick meets the criteria to some extent, but the World Baseball Classic might disrupt his audition too much to give the team sufficient confidence to bring him with them to open the season.

More importantly, perhaps, Perkins could fit into the picture without requiring the team to clear a roster spot for him, as Frelick or Joey Wiemer each would. Split deals are a rarely-used tool in free agency, but they provide dual upside for the player. First, they usually involve a higher salary in the minors than a typical minor-league deal does, and indeed, Perkins's salary while in the minors on this one if a healthy $175,000. Just as importantly, though, they also give the player a better chance of spending significant time in the majors than a minor-league deal can, because of roster inertia. This spring camp has perfectly illustrated that principle for Perkins.

As unexciting as he might seem, Perkins is the kind of complementary piece who can help a team win close games, with his solid glove and plus speed. His offensive emergence last year was encouraging, too, but even if he doesn't hit much, he could have good tactical value at the end of Milwaukee's bench. The odds that he gets to demonstrate that utility right out of the gate are steadily improving.

View full article

Assuming none of Frelick, Wiemer, or Turang break camp with the Brewers I think it's very likely Perkins starts the year in the Big mainly as the backup CF. Maybe he gets a start or two against a lefty to allow Mitchell a break before one of the top prospects comes up. I do think his stay would be pretty short though

I don't think he makes the team unless he starts tearing it up in Arizona.  That he's already on the 40 man or that Frelick will be gone for a few weeks playing for team Italy gives him an edge.  Frelick will be facing major league pitching in the WBC and the Brewers will be watching.  I think it comes down to Frelick or Nyquin, and they get another RH bat in the lineup by playing Anderson in RF vs. lefties.  Bolt could also figure in with a hot spring.  Wiemer is the dark horse.  He's only fanned once in 13 AB's.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

At this point, I think the position player group for the Opening Day 26-man looks like this:

cf: Mitchell

ss: Adames

lf: Yelich

c: Contreras

dh: Winker

3b: Urias

1b: Tellez

rf: Anderson

2b: Toro

bench: Caratini, Perkins, Brosseau, Hiura

It's worth noting that Urias hasn't played a single inning at 3B this spring. I'm sure he will end up playing some innings there this season, but it doesn't look like they plan on starting him there.

Also, Yelich is leading off every time he's in the lineup. So, I don't think we'll be seeing Mitchell supplant him there. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

It's worth noting that Urias hasn't played a single inning at 3B this spring. I'm sure he will end up playing some innings there this season, but it doesn't look like they plan on starting him there.

Also, Yelich is leading off every time he's in the lineup. So, I don't think we'll be seeing Mitchell there. 

Anderson has also only played 3B. 

• Like 2

Would be nice if Frelick was still in camp as it might give us a bigger clue as to what they plan to do with him, Perkins, and Naquin. The fact that Perkins has largely been coming on as a sub tells me he's currently ticketed for AAA. 

Meanwhile, Naquin is nursing an injury (set to return Tuesday, apparently) and not on the 40-man, while Frelick is also not on the 40-man.

I would prefer going with Frelick right away, but would be far from surprised if they went with Naquin for a couple weeks or so.