Brewer Fanatic

Packers 2023 Discussion Thread

homer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Time for a new season thread. Here is the last post from the '22 thread (a reminder there is also a 2023 Packers Draft thread. Please put draft comments in that one):

1 hour ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

Whether its Rodgers or Love QB-ing next season, I think it's the right move to hang onto Jones on a restructured contract to make his 2023 cap number tolerable

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When this all settled, I think 3 key factors will emerge as to why Aaron Rodgers is quarterbacking the Packers in 2023...

• 60 million guaranteed dollars
  • a weak NFC and familiarity in GB vs uprooting and competing in the stacked AFC
  • the Packers unwillingness to get messy

The first one answers why not retire, the second answers why not ask to be traded, and the third answers why the Packers accommodate him.

I am not sure I'd implicitly trust a McGinn source any more.

• Like 3
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

4 hours ago, nate82 said:

The track of record of both McGinn and Florio related to Rodgers is one that they both despise him, and this article kind of feels like wishful thinking on their part.  The Packers may very well move on from Rodgers, but it's not because they're disgusted with him.

4 hours ago, nate82 said:

I mean this is clickbait..,and a different article had some quote where he said the Packers were convinced Love is the next coming of Rodgers or some comical statement. And the Packers would make Rodgers the backup if he insisted on returning? I mean…come on.

if anyone watches the entire podcast, feel free to give us a breakdown. I’m not going to, because that is exactly what they are trying to do here…get clicks.

It wouldn’t shock me if McGinn had legitimate comments from a source but that they then got filtered through his own impressions. It wouldn’t be a surprise if there was some level of frustration with having to go through this all very publicly again with no idea how the biggest piece of their offseason puzzle is going to go. I could also see there being some in the building who think it is in the team’s best interest to go with Love. It feels more likely statements like that got taken to their illogical conclusion.

>“They are done with Rodgers,” McGinn said, citing his own instincts, his knowledge of the league, and “discussions with someone who [has] first-hand knowledge”

So basically the source is his butt.

"Someone with firsthand knowledge" could well be Jordan Love's girlfriend.

>"McGinn predicts that, if Rodgers does insist on returning, he’ll be the backup to Love."

Yeah that totally makes sense. A year after the Packers give Rodgers an extension with cap hits which really hurt even if he were to retire, they've just done a 180 after his good-not-great season to the degree that they'd bench a HoFer out of spite.

This is all Twitter-level "journalism".

• Like 1

I come to this site as my primary Brewers discussion forum. I like the people on this board as much as the dialogue.

I also enjoy these additional “other” forums - Bucks, Badgers, Packers. I’m curious where all of you go for deeper dialogue for these other teams - Bucks, Badgers, Packers.  

What are the best online forums for these other teams? Be sure to include a web link.  

The draft sim tools that have come out in the last couple years are really cool.... but the articles on every Tom, Dick, and Harry's simluated drafts are getting ridiculous. 

I even saw one article that blasted Gute because he could potentially do this draft the author did.... Really??? This is what "jounalism" has come to? 

59 minutes ago, CheezWizHed said:

I even saw one article that blasted Gute because he could potentially do this draft the author did.... Really??? This is what "jounalism" has come to? 

Is this a serious question?  The answer is an emphatic yes.  It is all about the clicks!  Weird Al should do a parody of It's All About the Benjamins but rename it to It's All About the Clicks. 

10 hours ago, nate82 said:

Is this a serious question?  The answer is an emphatic yes.  It is all about the clicks!  Weird Al should do a parody of It's All About the Benjamins but rename it to It's All About the Clicks. 

"Gotta sell those papers!"  I think that is what frustrates Rodgers more than anything.  He plays the media game and then we get frustrated with Rodgers because he is putting out misinformation.  Is there narcissism in his blood?  Sure, but I think many pile it on.  Rodgers sells papers and also sells tickets.

One other thing that frustrates me with today's journalism is how items aren't proofread.  We see things on crawlers that are not even close to the correct spelling.  Sigh... 

James Hoyt would not be happy.

Oh, I know it is about the clicks, but even the article titles are so bad it isn't even enticing. 

But it goes beyond the normal writers too.  I see them on FB feeds for groups that follow WI sports.  People proudly post their sim draft and say, "Look at who the Packers got!!!"  

I think this might actually make it worse for the GMs because people think that is all it takes to get Player X.  Well, I moved up and took the #1 player on the board, why couldn't Gute???

27 minutes ago, Samurai Bucky said:

"Gotta sell those papers!"  I think that is what frustrates Rodgers more than anything.  He plays the media game and then we get frustrated with Rodgers because he is putting out misinformation.  Is there narcissism in his blood?  Sure, but I think many pile it on.  Rodgers sells papers and also sells tickets.

One other thing that frustrates me with today's journalism is how items aren't proofread.  We see things on crawlers that are not even close to the correct spelling.  Sigh... 

James Hoyt would not be happy.

In a race to be "first", the first thing to go is proof-reading.

• Like 1
  • WHOA SOLVDD 1

How to address our safety issue....

1) I'm sure there will be a draft pick...but there is another forum for that.

2) I have a feeling we extend Amos.  Not because of his play... but more because his cap hit can be reduced be resigning him. If he comes back at a reduced 2 year, I wouldn't mind. 

3) Move Rasul Douglas to safety.  I think he actually would be better there. Plus Stokes return and it doesn't seem any of Alexander, Stokes, and Douglas aren't very suited for slot CB. Seems like Savage played better in the slot. 

4) Resign Ford.  

5) Sign another FA. 

I'm hoping #1 is a given.  #4 is probably fairly likely.  #3 would probably be a fall-back option, but I still think it might be best one. 

On 2/19/2023 at 1:55 PM, edfunderburk said:

I come to this site as my primary Brewers discussion forum. I like the people on this board as much as the dialogue.

I also enjoy these additional “other” forums - Bucks, Badgers, Packers. I’m curious where all of you go for deeper dialogue for these other teams - Bucks, Badgers, Packers.  

What are the best online forums for these other teams? Be sure to include a web link.  

When it was clear that LambeauLeap.net was dying, I tried a couple other forums.  The experience was so awful compared to BF.net that I lobbied to have a dedicated "Other Sports" section created to separate Packers, Badgers, and Bucks stuff from the "Off Topic" section.  Having a little among contentment is better than a lot amongst great angst.  

• Like 1