Brewer Fanatic

Article: How Should Milwaukee Brewers Manage Freddy Peralta's Shoulder Injury Concerns?

Tim Muma

8 hours ago, Team Canada said:

I'm sure you could be even more condescending and dismissive if you tried, but you did a decent job there. Instead of mindreading the writer's intent and what a poster did or did not observe, you might try giving the benefit of the doubt and sticking to factual responses and asking questions for others to respond to. 

Your post would have been just as strong and less jerky like so:

Ok, but that sort of speaks more to him being in the major leagues at 21 years old then being a swing man his first 3 years in the majors, doesn't it? Until 2021, Corbin Burnes (26 years old) had zero 150 IP seasons in his professional career and had crossed 100 IP only onceShould the Brewers have limited his workload in '21 because of that?

Thanks for the input. I was only responding in kind to what I received. Your sarcasm notwithstanding, opining that someone is wrong, or their calculation is flawed, or that their article is merely clickbait is not being dismissive or condescending by any definition of the terms. Anyways, you can have the final word and I will move on now. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
36 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Let's calm down a little, everyone. I did not take the slightest offense to Jopal's response to me, no one need be offended on my behalf.

Let's stay on topic, please!

I'd actually like to know why he considers this clickbait. How else can I learn to avoid it? And it's a bit "offensive" to have someone say that, especially since I don't believe in random "hot takes."

I see clickbait as something sensational, misleading, and/or using inaccurate information intentionally. Not sure which apply here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim Muma said:

I'd actually like to know why he considers this clickbait. How else can I learn to avoid it?

I see clickbait as something sensational, misleading, and/or using inaccurate information intentionally. Not sure which apply here.

I'd also be curious about this, in no way was I trying to silence Jopal. I was speaking more directly to bickering than any specific opinion.

19 hours ago, Tim Muma said:

Peralta has missed time due to his shoulder/lat (which are connected in the kinetic chain of throwing). 

Just to add some extra detail to this, around the motion

The Lat will be involved in a contraction phase, along with the rear deltoid and bicep on the preparation part of the movement, and in an extension phase (ie stretching out) as the shoulder, chest and tricep extend outwards in the throwing part of the motion. While the lat is engaged per se, the part of the motion that causes the damage is mostly the extension phase, a more explosive movement, and should be easily corrected through mobility exercises and some strengthening work.

The shoulder affects so many different movements, the rear deltoids will work in tandem with the lats, but most of the strain comes through the front and side deltoids in the pitching motion. Most shoulder injuries actually come through the rotator cuff due to the stability of the joint always being under strain because of its involvement in so many  motions. I'd suggest it's highly likely the injuries aren't related as such, but the shoulder is definitely the one to be more wary of, as so many fibres connect around the rotator cuff, and it's tough to strengthen in the short term. Even after recovery, quite often the scar tissue can impinge upon the range of movement too

18 minutes ago, jakedood said:

Just to add some extra detail to this, around the motion

The Lat will be involved in a contraction phase, along with the rear deltoid and bicep on the preparation part of the movement, and in an extension phase (ie stretching out) as the shoulder, chest and tricep extend outwards in the throwing part of the motion. While the lat is engaged per se, the part of the motion that causes the damage is mostly the extension phase, a more explosive movement, and should be easily corrected through mobility exercises and some strengthening work.

The shoulder affects so many different movements, the rear deltoids will work in tandem with the lats, but most of the strain comes through the front and side deltoids in the pitching motion. Most shoulder injuries actually come through the rotator cuff due to the stability of the joint always being under strain because of its involvement in so many  motions. I'd suggest it's highly likely the injuries aren't related as such, but the shoulder is definitely the one to be more wary of, as so many fibres connect around the rotator cuff, and it's tough to strengthen in the short term. Even after recovery, quite often the scar tissue can impinge upon the range of movement too

Okay, so this is wayyyyy beyond my knowledge of the human body. Do you work in the field?

3 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Okay, so this is wayyyyy beyond my knowledge of the human body. Do you work in the field?

A bit of a nerd when it comes to the gym, sports etc and kinetic movements so would have pretty strong knowledge of this and how different muscles work together. I've done some studying around the topic but not a true professional by any means

In short, the muscles contracting (and therefore exerting force in a movement of the upper body)

If you're pulling something towards you (hands getting closer to your body) then you're using your back muscles (traps, lats, rhomboids), rear deltoids and biceps predominantly

If you're pushing something away from you (hands getting further from your body) then you'll be using your chest, front deltoids, side deltoids and triceps

Your core and legs provide balance and momentum (and occasionally kinetic coil) for most upper body movements to try and ensure all the energy input to the motion is being transferred to output (in this case, ball velocity).

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They talked about the Brewers rotation on the Rates & Barrels podcast last week. Mentioned they could potentially do some kind of 6 man deal since they have 6 legit starters possibly as a way to manage Freddy's innings and, to a lesser extent, Ashby's.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006