Brewer Fanatic

Too Soon? Unofficial commit at age 14?

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense to use back channels to get a malnourished kid some money and help their future, however the mlb does need to do something. I like the idea of a international draft. Make the age limit like 16 and then take int. draft picks away from teams having early contact. When a player turns 21 make them just a normal free agent so older players from Asia or Cuba (among others) can sign where they please. I am not sure how much a camps/academies in some of these countries cost but if you put 50-100 camps around the world in some of the 3rd world countries I am sure you could make it work get the better prospects and their families help for a relatively reasonable sum with no team bias when they are 13, 14, or 15. That way you could also expand the sport into some other regions and help out these players when they are younger.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, Samurai Bucky said:

Would MLB ever adopt an academy program similar to how Soccer (I mean Futbol) does it in Europe?  Look at Lionel Messi... he was 13 when he was brought over from Argentina to enroll with the Barcelona club.  Barca even paid to complete his growth hormone therapy.

I think that is the next best step for the system. MLB has done a great job revamp their Academies and providing continued education to these kids. However, you have to be 16 and signed in order to join an academy. Basically right now there are 1500 to 2000 independent or informal youth academies/training centers that feed these kids to getting signed. Most of the children joining these academies drop out of school to focus on baseball as early as 10 years old. Considering less than half of these children will get signed to a team ( even if they do, there is a 98% chance they never reach the big leagues) Dominican Republic has a major problem on their hands. Over 30% of these kids who don't get signed or flame out end up not working for money or returning to school. Poverty and crime continue to escalate. Basically at 10-14 you put all you marbles into baseball and if you don't hit, the future is not bright. 

MLB again has made really good strides but needs to expand their MLB Trainer Partnership Program. This has cut down a lot of the shadiness that has plaqued the international market. I believe the ideal situation would be basically, setting up IMG type academies like we have here in US where children still are receiving education on top of baseball training. Get these kids into a school that has a focus on baseball training. Get them some proper nutrient meals and strength and conditioning. These academies should mirror what they do with the Dominican Academies after kids sign. Maybe at 12-14 they can commit with a scholarship to a club affiliated/ organized academy with academics. Scholarship is key word, it should not be binding at all. At 17-18 (maybe once graduate) be able to sign an official contract with that club or another to enter the affiliate academy or stateside. I think the issue with that is, teams don't want to develop players at any academy if they will not reap benefits of it. I can't see how they would ever approve a draft if they are putting in more money to develop and educate children at younger ages. 

I would have no problem with committing to 14 year olds if they are making sure that child is still getting an education and preparing them incase things don't work out right. 

• Like 1

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used