Brewer Fanatic

RUMOR - Brewers Still Looking for LH Reliever

DR28

The problem with Chafin is he declined a 7 million dollar guarantee in Detroit to become a free agent. Thus any team is probably going to have to exceed 7 million dollars in pay for '23, or guarantee 12+ million dollars or more over the course of a multi-year deal. 

58 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

The problem with Chafin is he declined a 7 million dollar guarantee in Detroit to become a free agent. Thus any team is probably going to have to exceed 7 million dollars in pay for '23, or guarantee 12+ million dollars or more over the course of a multi-year deal. 

MLBTR is pretty good with their predictions and they have him at 2 years, $18M. When a guy is on the market for a long time like Chafin has been then they tend to sign for a bit less. So maybe 2 years $15M is my guess right now. 

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

1 hour ago, Jopal78 said:

At this point in the offseason there aren't many teams with $7M left to spend. 

I think I prefer Matt Moore but would be happy with Chafin. To me Moore gets the nod because he can pitch multiple innings. Also Chafins 2 pitch arsenal with a 92 mph heater worries me. I think Will Smith might be a decent option on a cheaper 1 year, even though he has lost a bit on the heater. Danny Duffy could be a good option also if he would be ok with a switch to the bullpen.

4 hours ago, jay87shot said:

I think I prefer Matt Moore but would be happy with Chafin. To me Moore gets the nod because he can pitch multiple innings. Also Chafins 2 pitch arsenal with a 92 mph heater worries me. I think Will Smith might be a decent option on a cheaper 1 year, even though he has lost a bit on the heater. Danny Duffy could be a good option also if he would be ok with a switch to the bullpen.

Is Duffy not signed somewhere?

What is his age? Recent history?

I’ve grown to love this type of pitcher in the bullpen

• starting pitcher with era in the 4.5 to 5.5 range the past couple years
  • once considered very promising up and comer / has good stuff
  • late 20s to early 30s
  • preferably left handed but not required
  • Like 1
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

4 hours ago, umphrey said:

I’ve grown to love this type of pitcher in the bullpen

• starting pitcher with era in the 4.5 to 5.5 range the past couple years
  • once considered very promising up and comer / has good stuff
  • late 20s to early 30s
  • preferably left handed but not required

Who are some recent examples of “this type of pitcher” that you’ve come to love?

21 hours ago, edfunderburk said:

Who are some recent examples of “this type of pitcher” that you’ve come to love?

The most famous recent case is prolly someone like Andrew Miller… 

Miller SP: 325 IP | 5.70 ERA
Miller RP: 504 IP | 2.95 ERA

Some Brewers that come to mind for me are guys like Adrian Houser, Jimmy Nelson or Jorge López…

Houser SP: 371 IP | 4.31 ERA
Houser RP: 56 IP | 1.76 ERA

Nelson SP: 618 IP | 4.23 ERA
Nelson RP: 43 IP | 2.47 ERA

Lopez SP: 273 IP | 6.36 ERA
Lopez RP: 148 IP | 3.77 ERA

Or someone like Pomeranz who converted to RP for good with us in 2019…

Pomeranz SP: 698 IP | 4.25 ERA
Pomeranz RP: 160 IP | 2.42 ERA

It’s still early yet, but Ashby is straddling that line somewhat so far in his young career…

Ashby SP: 99 IP | 4.79 ERA
Ashby RP: 39 IP | 3.66 ERA

• Like 1

I’m somewhat baffled that there are so many impact (not dominant) lefty relievers just sitting there still.  I have no doubt the brewers will get one on the cheap as they seemingly do every year.  With houser and one of these guys the bullpen looks significantly better.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

24 minutes ago, phnxcrew said:

I’m somewhat baffled that there are so many impact (not dominant) lefty relievers just sitting there still.  I have no doubt the brewers will get one on the cheap as they seemingly do every year.  With houser and one of these guys the bullpen looks significantly better.

I gotta assume their agents are not wanting to set the market by signing first so they are waiting.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:04 PM, wallus said:

I gotta assume their agents are not wanting to set the market by signing first so they are waiting.

The market was already set when Philadelphia signed Matt Strahm to a 2yr/15 million dollar deal. 

Any team with 16+ million dollars in un-committed could payroll sign Matt Moore, Will Smith, Zack Britton or Andrew Chafin to a multi-year deal tomorrow. 

Brad Hand would lead the remaining group of lefty relievers (Daniel Norris, Caleb Smith, Justin Wilson, Ross Detwiler etc.) who are looking at smaller guarantees and in some cases NRIs,. They are probably waiting to see what happens with the other guys in order to improve their bargaining position. 

34 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

The market was already set when Philadelphia signed Matt Strahm to a 2yr/15 million dollar deal. 

Any team with 16+ million dollars in un-committed could payroll sign Matt Moore, Will Smith, Zack Britton or Andrew Chafin to a multi-year deal tomorrow. 

Brad Hand would lead the remaining group of lefty relievers (Daniel Norris, Caleb Smith, Justin Wilson, Ross Detwiler etc.) who are looking at smaller guarantees and in some cases NRIs,. They are probably waiting to see what happens with the other guys in order to improve their bargaining position. 

Strahm signed almost 2 months ago and the late signing market is always different.

5 hours ago, wallus said:

Strahm signed almost 2 months ago and the late signing market is always different.

Sure, with Chafin he opted out of 8 million dollars with Detroit this year, I'm sure he's content to sit and wait until somebody meets his price. Britton and Moore are 10+ year vets who have already made lots of money in the game, and most likely are willing to wait out the right price or situation.

4 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Sure, with Chafin he opted out of 8 million dollars with Detroit this year, I'm sure he's content to sit and wait until somebody meets his price. Britton and Moore are 10+ year vets who have already made lots of money in the game, and most likely are willing to wait out the right price or situation.

I'm guessing at Chafin's age he is looking at more of the total earnings than the yearly. He also may have misjudged his market too. I bet once one of these guys sign, the rest will sign quickly afterwards.