Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: David Stearns has Emerged as Candidate for Head Astros Job

wibadgers23

On 1/24/2023 at 8:25 PM, clancyphile said:

In this case, I say the Crew should get what it can. The Astros could very well decide to wait out 2023, then sign Stearns and leave the Crew nothing.

I’d rather they get nothing and make David sit out for a year than Mark collecting more cash for baseball cards. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Miller Park Minute said:

I am over Stearns. Am I alone in this feeling?

Nope.  He is just another GM that failed to bring a WS championship to Milwaukee.  Not all his fault.  Need ownership group that wants to win rather than hoping to win but he is just another name on a long list.  Fans will go on about how this is the Golden Era and made playoffs gizillion years in a row or something like that but at the end of the day we lost the last game of the season.

However he is a good GM that maximises $/win which judging by most of the posters on this board is more important than actually winning.

Can't wait till Burnes gets traded in July everyone will go ballistic over the "prospects" the Crew get.

17 minutes ago, BlightyBrew said:

is more important than actually winning.

The Brewers won the 6th most games in MLB over the last five years. That’s quite a bit of actual winning regardless of payroll.

Relative to the franchise’s history, yes, that is objectively the best they’ve done in 40 years.

Sure, they didn’t win the World Series during Stearns tenure, only six teams did. That’s a pretty high bar to clear.

If one’s threshold for an enjoyable Brewers season is “World Series”, they are setting themselves up for misery on purpose.

7 hours ago, Miller Park Minute said:

If he signed a 5+ year contract today for some role with the team I would be happy but he’s had 1 foot out the door for years now and I don’t think he has done anything that significant in the past year

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

5 hours ago, sveumrules said:

The Brewers won the 6th most games in MLB over the last five years. That’s quite a bit of actual winning regardless of payroll.

Relative to the franchise’s history, yes, that is objectively the best they’ve done in 40 years.

Sure, they didn’t win the World Series during Stearns tenure, only six teams did. That’s a pretty high bar to clear.

If one’s threshold for an enjoyable Brewers season is “World Series”, they are setting themselves up for misery on purpose.

The real issue, I think, is rising expectations. When they came in, the club was rebuilding following two playoff runs in four years (2008-2011). Stearns and Counsell carried out a remarkable turnaround for what is the longest sustained success in Brewers history (from 2017-2022, the team either finished above .500, made the playoffs, or both).

Naturally, many people want to see the team make that next step, to make it to the World Series or better yet, win it. That can be tough - because for many folks, they don't see a lot of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes or understand the harsh realities of baseball economics.

Then again, when it comes to sports in general, these executives and the managers/coaches are all under a lot more pressure than many fans realize. There is NOT a lot of job security or job openings, and the stress can be a killer in more ways than one. The best teams build a culture that everyone - on the field and off the field - buys into.

5 hours ago, sveumrules said:

The real issue, I think, is rising expectations. When they came in, the club was rebuilding following two playoff runs in four years (2008-2011). Stearns and Counsell carried out a remarkable turnaround for what is the longest sustained success in Brewers history (from 2017-2022, the team either finished above .500, made the playoffs, or both).

Naturally, many people want to see the team make that next step, to make it to the World Series or better yet, win it. That can be tough - because for many folks, they don't see a lot of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes or understand the harsh realities of baseball economics.

Then again, when it comes to sports in general, these executives and the managers/coaches are all under a lot more pressure than many fans realize. There is NOT a lot of job security or job openings, and the stress can be a killer in more ways than one. The best teams build a culture that everyone - on the field and off the field - buys into.

9 hours ago, Miller Park Minute said:

I'm not "over" him per se but I'm ready to move on. His perpetual "will he or won't he" situation over the past few years has worn out its welcome. I don't have anything against the guy but would like to see a long-term front office settle in and give the franchise a little more stability.

9 hours ago, Miller Park Minute said:

I'm not "over" him per se but I'm ready to move on. His perpetual "will he or won't he" situation over the past few years has worn out its welcome. I don't have anything against the guy but would like to see a long-term front office settle in and give the franchise a little more stability.

I think the problem is after making the NLCS Game 7 we proceeded to win one playoff game the rest of Stearn's tenure...and he ended his tenure with an absolutely atrocious job in 2022. I think we have proven now to be competent enough of a franchise that making the postseason isn't the holy grail of accomplishments. People kind of expected us to not only make the postseason, but to actually be a competitive team once getting there...which just did not happen again. I also think once we had the most promising young core in franchise history, we had a legitimate chance to actually win a World Series and we didn't go out of our way to acquire/sign guys to really add to it. We treaded water and tried to get a team to the postseason, pray for a miracle, and try to not create a situation where a big rebuild would be needed.

Maybe that works out here in the end, only time will tell. If we end up taking 3-4 years to get back while flirting near .500 every year, I don't know that I will enjoy that any more than had we bombed the roster and had a 5 year rebuild with some 90+ loss seasons. Especially if we just get back to the middling playoff teams no one has any confidence can make a World Series. 

To me, you are not consistently competitive if you still have multi year droughts. Maybe you aren't losing 90+ games and are in it come September...but sitting on the couch in October is sitting on the couch. 

I think the problem is after making the NLCS Game 7 we proceeded to win one playoff game the rest of Stearn's tenure...and he ended his tenure with an absolutely atrocious job in 2022. I think we have proven now to be competent enough of a franchise that making the postseason isn't the holy grail of accomplishments. People kind of expected us to not only make the postseason, but to actually be a competitive team once getting there...which just did not happen again. I also think once we had the most promising young core in franchise history, we had a legitimate chance to actually win a World Series and we didn't go out of our way to acquire/sign guys to really add to it. We treaded water and tried to get a team to the postseason, pray for a miracle, and try to not create a situation where a big rebuild would be needed.

Maybe that works out here in the end, only time will tell. If we end up taking 3-4 years to get back while flirting near .500 every year, I don't know that I will enjoy that any more than had we bombed the roster and had a 5 year rebuild with some 90+ loss seasons. Especially if we just get back to the middling playoff teams no one has any confidence can make a World Series. 

To me, you are not consistently competitive if you still have multi year droughts. Maybe you aren't losing 90+ games and are in it come September...but sitting on the couch in October is sitting on the couch. 

6 hours ago, sveumrules said:

I mean really, only five teams won the World Series during that span, as the Astros won twice.

I'm as disappointed as anyone by the postseason performances since 2018 but as a fan of smaller market teams, I'd drive myself insane if it was "World Series or bust" every year.

Still, getting bumped in the first round every year isn't an acceptable outcome to me, either.

6 hours ago, sveumrules said:

I mean really, only five teams won the World Series during that span, as the Astros won twice.

I'm as disappointed as anyone by the postseason performances since 2018 but as a fan of smaller market teams, I'd drive myself insane if it was "World Series or bust" every year.

Still, getting bumped in the first round every year isn't an acceptable outcome to me, either.

8 hours ago, BlightyBrew said:

Nope.  He is just another GM that failed to bring a WS championship to Milwaukee.  Not all his fault.  Need ownership group that wants to win rather than hoping to win but he is just another name on a long list.  Fans will go on about how this is the Golden Era and made playoffs gizillion years in a row or something like that but at the end of the day we lost the last game of the season.

However he is a good GM that maximises $/win which judging by most of the posters on this board is more important than actually winning.

Can't wait till Burnes gets traded in July everyone will go ballistic over the "prospects" the Crew get.

I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This team's economic standing is what it is. They are always going to be a team that will maximize $/win. I think expecting them to change course at this point is probably a foolish endeavor. Of course, you can try to hold the team accountable, but that probably means not spending your money on following the team any longer. And you're here posting, so you obviously haven't gotten to that point yet. 

The idea of contending for a World Series is always going to be a "pie in the sky" goal for the Brewers. That's just reality. 

8 hours ago, BlightyBrew said:

I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This team's economic standing is what it is. They are always going to be a team that will maximize $/win. I think expecting them to change course at this point is probably a foolish endeavor. Of course, you can try to hold the team accountable, but that probably means not spending your money on following the team any longer. And you're here posting, so you obviously haven't gotten to that point yet. 

The idea of contending for a World Series is always going to be a "pie in the sky" goal for the Brewers. That's just reality. 

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I thought it was Marx (Karl, not Groucho)

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I think it was Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I thought it was Marx (Karl, not Groucho)

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.