Brewer Fanatic

Give us your best tips on watching a game at AmFam

Brock Beauchamp

15 hours ago, hawing said:

I'll admit that the hawing household has scaled back how much ballpark food we eat, mostly because my partner is diabetic and a lot of ballpark staples are not diabetic friendly.  We have also continued to mask at games, so we are more likely to stop for Cousins subs or the like en route to the park. 

Having said that, when I do eat at AFF, I enjoy the baked potatoes, the big warm pretzels (greatly improved since they switched to Milwaukee Pretzel Co products) and (betraying my Madisonness) Ian's Pizza.  There's a grilled cheese stand by the hot corner team store which I've also enjoyed, but it was frequently closed during our games in 2022.

For beverages, I bring in water or a soft drink and Tom gets a designated-driver voucher. 

We're rarely in the club seats, but when we have that access, we've had success with the taco bar.  You choose your fillings and can ask for enough lettuce to basically have a taco salad instead of a taco. 

For seating (besides first-base side to stay mostly shaded, because I have two skin settings - pasty and crispy), I love love love our seats in the central loge, below the press box.  We've become acquainted with several of the press box regulars and some of the announcers, and I like being able to hear the press box announcements. 

We also have a 20 pack in the terrace box, and I think it's a best kept secret in terms of the view you get for the price.  The key is to land in the sections closer to home plate.  Having said that, most of our terrace games are weeknights, which tend to not be super rowdy.  Terrace boxes are small enough for guest relations staff to actually be able to keep an eye on things and nip unruliness in the bud.  The terrace reserved sections are so much larger that there's no way an usher can see everything. 

Both our loge and terrace seats are in the family sections.  We originally got family section seats when they were designated at County Stadium, because it was the only place in the seating bowl where you couldn't smoke - but we got to appreciating the relative lack of rowdiness/fighting/puking.  In both of our family sections, the ushers are attentive, which we also appreciate.

I enjoy those Loge areas, as well. Prices were jacked up for this coming year, it looks like. Those press box Infield Loge sections are now called the Loge Infield Platinum. Instead of $44 to $48 on average, it looks like $55-$60 per seat.  Usher Bill is the best. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If you're coming from the south (Racine, Kenosha, Oak Creek, Bay View etc), taking the free shuttle from Steny's might be an option. There is lots of free street parking and they have good bar food. 

• Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On 1/23/2023 at 8:16 AM, MrTPlush said:

- Best place to eat before going in is the parking lot. Nothing like good tailgating food to fill you up.

- The food inside sucks. If someone was asking me before hand the answer is to simply not waste your money eating inside for, at best, cafeteria quality food. If you asked me this question after already entering, tenders and tots are usually a pretty good value.

-If you are planning your trip ahead of time I find the OF Loge to be one of the best spots. This is because it is incredibly easy to get first row and have a really great vantage point of the game. LF is great because you get to watch the first base line…though afternoon games are going to be sunny. Terrace level can also be an incredible value, but you have to be careful and check sites that show seat pictures (aviewfrommyseat is clutch) to make sure a railing isn’t in the way…the terrace can be awful for that.

-Things inside the park…Brewers Park is honestly pretty darn boring outside of the game. If you have kids there is the great area on the first base side on the field level, there is also an area for smaller kids up in the terrace (I think). For adults, you can watch the game in your seat…or, well, that’s it. There are hardly any areas to even relax away from your seat. If you are someone that needs a bar to relax at or away from the busy concourse, you will need to buy club tickets. That has a middling bar in the concourse and some seating.

-Hidden gems. There is a fairly new Marriott hotel that was actually built just south of the ballpark a few years back. It’s a bit closer than the Best Western most would be familiar with. It is great for the morning after with an IHOP and McDonalds right next door.

Things to not do:

- Don’t go into the stadium through the home plate gate…it’s always overly crowded and takes forever. Just walk over to the RF gate or to the LF gate. 

- Unless you want to tailgate with the beautiful view of the front of the stadium…flat out don’t park in the preferred parking on the home plate (main side) side. It is a nightmare to get out of and all traffic gets forced eastbound or westbound onto the interstate…I can’t remember which way specifically. Memory makes me think you have to go westbound. The preferred parking beyond the OF is easier to get out of and you will have the option get on the interstate whatever direction you want. Also, it isn’t that much farther to walk if you just go to the general parking just beyond that…though that parking lot is bigger and usually longer to get out of. 

This post kind of depressed me (park experience) but I really can't say any of it is inaccurate. I didn't renew this year. I probably went too much, but yeah, it started to feel pretty lackluster.

When I did my survey I listed many of these things and my rep reached out later to follow up. He said actions are being taken on food quality and price this offseason as they share the same concerns, particularly with beer and concession price. He actually used the word 'ridiculous' to describe the price.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:13 PM, rickh150 said:

How is it worst in location and accessibility? I view it as one of the best…. Off an interstate, plenty of parking, and one of the best places to tailgate. If you are looking for other things beside a baseball game, as in more entertainment or restaurants nearby, sure.

Agreed. I have no interest in walking around downtown Milwaukee. I worked down there for 9 years (which ended in 2015) and I'd be happy to never return.

My preferred pre-game activity is tailgating--not window shopping or dodging gunfire. It's cheap, fun, and delicious and the Brewers parking lot set up is great for that.

For in-park food I carry in peanuts and water.

• WHOA SOLVDD 3

Let's keep this thread related to tips for Am Fam not reasons why you would or would not go to a ballpark that doesn't exist.

• Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The experience at the ballpark has fallen off significantly in the past 4-5 years - and the decline in the quality of the food (considering the prices) has been stark. For example, they were charging $11+ for a nacho bowl topped with cold shredded cheese last year. I think this underscores much of the derision on Twitter and other places about X-Golf.  Hoping the organization notices what’s happened and we see some changes in April because it was embarrassing last season. Until then, save your money and eat somewhere else before the game. 

23 hours ago, homer said:

Let's keep this thread related to tips for Am Fam not reasons why you would or would not go to a ballpark that doesn't exist.

The owner of the website brought up the issue. I would say that makes it fair game to discuss.

41 minutes ago, Axman59 said:

The owner of the website brought up the issue. I would say that makes it fair game to discuss.

The thread started to go off topic. You probably didn't see the post that we hid that replied to yours. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think bringing kids to the first deck, RF corner play zone is something somewhat of a must, especially if we are talking a typical mid season game.  It’s free and it’s for kids of all ages…. Baseball themed with hitt8ng, throwing, and running games. 

Walking completely around the stadium or to the very top seem to go over well with the kids too….both take 10 minutes or so..

I like the Selig Experience… like to do that once a year.

Taking in a batting practice is nice to do yearly, as well. Not nearly the homer ball opportunities as in the early 2000s at Miller Park or at most other stadiums, but still fun.

We used to hit up the tundra territory once a year or so, just for a different POV.  I think it's now reserved for groups.  Womp womp.

Somewhere in the MLB dot com archives is FSWI footage of a first inning home run hit to just below our seats in the Territory.  If you know where to look, you can briefly see us cheering. 

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.