Brewer Fanatic

Article: The Top 10 Milwaukee Brewers Assets in 2023: #6-10

Kyle Ginsbach

25 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Who says? Actual prospect industry scouts, experts, and evaluators...You know, people who do this for a living.

Guys like Kieth Law? That Harvard educated economist slash sports journalist who never played baseball? 

You know, the guy who published an article in September titled “Guys I was Wrong About”

If it was a science or required a specific skill not everyone could do it. Yet literally anyone can compile a list of baseball players and argue until they’re blue in the face how awesome they are or how dumb anyone who questions them may be. 

22 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Guys like Kieth Law? That Harvard educated economist slash sports journalist who never played baseball? 

You know, the guy who published an article in September titled “Guys I was Wrong About”

If it was a science or required a specific skill not everyone could do it. Yet literally anyone can compile a list of baseball players and argue until they’re blue in the face how awesome they are or how dumb anyone who questions them may be. 

Yes, because you should take what one expert/evaluator says and accept it as the law (pun intended). As opposed to looking at a multiplicity of experts/evaluators and averaging out their collective opinions. 

But you so obviously don’t know what you’re talking about, so I’m just gonna stop here..

1 hour ago, Jopal78 said:

Nope. I’ve got a calculator and baseball reference bookmarked. 

You too with a little time and effort could calculate Singleton’s PAs and OPS through age 20, and then even determine exactly how much offensive production Chourio will have to generate in the next two seasons to match it. 

Singleton wasn’t a slouch in the low levels of the minors. 

You seem to think you have it figured out. Bless you.

12 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Who says they're comparable? Sportswriters looking for clicks? And "Actual Comparables" is based on what; other players who had big minor league seasons as kids in the low level minors? None of the prospect game is scientific, it's heartstrings and hopes and making educated guesses. 

To illustrate further:

Singleton-Low A at 18: 872 OPS (450 ABs), High A at 19 : .834 OPS(530 ABs), AA at 20: .893 (555 ABs).

Chourio-Low A at 18: 973 OPS (250 ABs) High A at 18: .805 OPS (127 ABs), AA at 18: .284 OPS (23 ABs).

Chourio will have to be on top of his game for the next two years, just to match what Singleton did in the minors through age 20, yet they're not comparable prospects for some reason?

When someone has made their mind up and won't consider alternative possibilities, there's no real point in further discussion.

However, I'm sure you didn't realize but it is worth noting anyways, Chourio did play for the Brewers rookie ball team in '21 in the Dominican Rookie Summer League. It's really splitting hairs to assert he "skipped rookie ball entirely".  

Is it in any way fair to compare Chourio to Singleton when one is 18 and one is 20? I'd also point out Chourios numbers at Wisconsin were exceptional especially considering the BABIP at least 50 points lower than I'd expect of a speedster in high A

Obviously he needs to keep developing but all the scouts are talking about his swing, the exit velos for a guy his size, and it seems very mookie like/ rodriguez like.

Obviously time will tell, but if he fills out that frame at all, and can develop slightly to cover the pitch away a bit better, watch out, Big time

I've seen trade value lists and I've seen lists of value to a team this year. This list seems to be trying to split the difference and it has led to some real strange results.

While I might not put them my list, I wouldn't quibble with Winker or Tellez being put on a list of highest value to the team for this year. Winker has had some great offensive seasons and Tellez seems like the type who has at least one 2018 Jesus Aguilar season in him. That said, neither belong anywhere near a trade value top 10. And similarly, Chourio seems tracking toward a 2024 debut, or at least really late 2023, so he doesn't belong on a list of contributors for this season.

Basically you have to really contort and combine criteria to create a list with both Chourio and Winker/Tellez on it.

As far as trade value goes, I'd be pretty close to the list SveumRules posted earlier. I might be tempted to swap Frelick and Quero, but that would be more of my own personal opinion rather than what they would bring back in a trade.

21 hours ago, Robocaller said:

By BTV, it's:

1. Burnes

2. Chourio

3.  Peralta

4. Woodruff

5. Adames

6. Contreras

7. Williams

8. Ashby

9. Frelick

10. Urias

11. Mitchell

12. Wiemer

13. Taylor

14. Turang.

15. Brown

16. Black

17. Lauer

18. Quero.

I can't see justification for moving any of them more than 2-3 slots.

That's a pretty good compilation of "Brewers' most valuable assets." 

Put another way, if the Brewers traded for a prospect of Chourio's level for someone like Winker, Tellez, Lauer or Houser, Arnold would immediately go down in GM folklore. Heck, if he could trade Tellez for someone on Frelick's level he'd do it in a heartbeat without regard to the 2022 first base situation.

It's also kind of funny that Urias, the guy so many people are clamoring to replace, is one of our most valuable assets. I'd prefer he play second base, but he's not someone we should be looking to turn into a utility infielder.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh