Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: MLBTR - Is Adrian Houser a Trade Candidate?

23 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

Why would the Brewers want Santander when they already have Yelich-Mitchell-Taylor-Winker-Frelick-Wiemer-Perkins as OF depth?

Doesn't make sense. Now, Houser for DL Hall, who could be good help in the bullpen, might be an option.

Perkins is a filler who's likely to not be wanted to start many games at all

Winker is a defensive liability for emergencies/rotating yelich

So Taylor + yelich + rookies, I'd want a third competent outfielder so the pressure isn't all on the rookies, and maybe allow service time manipulation 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

Why would the Brewers want Santander when they already have Yelich-Mitchell-Taylor-Winker-Frelick-Wiemer-Perkins as OF depth?

Doesn't make sense. Now, Houser for DL Hall, who could be good help in the bullpen, might be an option.

Perkins is a filler who's likely to not be wanted to start many games at all

Winker is a defensive liability for emergencies/rotating yelich

So Taylor + yelich + rookies, I'd want a third competent outfielder so the pressure isn't all on the rookies, and maybe allow service time manipulation 

42 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

The Orioles wouldn't trade Hall for Houser.  Hall is someone the Orioles see as a starter and not a reliever.  They have placed him in the bullpen last year but they see him as a starter.  You would have to include more to get Hall which is just not worth it at that point.  Santander makes the most sense for a Brewers trade with the Orioles but I think they would want Lauer over Houser. 

42 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

The Orioles wouldn't trade Hall for Houser.  Hall is someone the Orioles see as a starter and not a reliever.  They have placed him in the bullpen last year but they see him as a starter.  You would have to include more to get Hall which is just not worth it at that point.  Santander makes the most sense for a Brewers trade with the Orioles but I think they would want Lauer over Houser. 

2 hours ago, clancyphile said:

If they made that deal Santander could arguably be more productive in 2023 than any of the OFs mentioned. It would also most likely be a precursor to another deal involving an OF. In any case, as I said I doubt the O's would do it. More than anything it would be a chance to get more for Houser than they'd likely ever be able to get.

I also doubt the O's would give us Hall for Houser.

2 hours ago, clancyphile said:

If they made that deal Santander could arguably be more productive in 2023 than any of the OFs mentioned. It would also most likely be a precursor to another deal involving an OF. In any case, as I said I doubt the O's would do it. More than anything it would be a chance to get more for Houser than they'd likely ever be able to get.

I also doubt the O's would give us Hall for Houser.

I'm thinking where Milw sits is similar to a timeframe before making the trade for Adames.  No pitching trades will happen until right up to or after Opening Day.  We've had some minor injuries that caused some delay to starting the season healthy. Team needs Houser and the article is just clickbait. When the team enters Opening Day healthy and more options than roster spaces, then they'll look to swing a deal. Other teams such as Boston(who just lost Story for the season) will suffer injuries and have a need we could fill. More desperate means higher return.

I'm thinking where Milw sits is similar to a timeframe before making the trade for Adames.  No pitching trades will happen until right up to or after Opening Day.  We've had some minor injuries that caused some delay to starting the season healthy. Team needs Houser and the article is just clickbait. When the team enters Opening Day healthy and more options than roster spaces, then they'll look to swing a deal. Other teams such as Boston(who just lost Story for the season) will suffer injuries and have a need we could fill. More desperate means higher return.

11 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

With the Brewers looking at seven starting pitchers after the Miley trade, MLBTR speculates a Houser trade is possible. Houser could easily be the odd man out and if a trade happens, it could be late in the offseason or even during spring training. Personally, I'm leaning away from the Brewers trading any of their possible starters but it's a definite possibility. With so many to choose from and all of them legit candidates to start MLB games, GM Matt Arnold could decide the team is better by trading a pitcher for another asset at a position of more need.

View full rumor

The Brewers said they were going to improve SP depth in the offseason. Miley was it. Now, they could still move someone if they get an offer they can't refuse--for any of the starters.

11 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

With the Brewers looking at seven starting pitchers after the Miley trade, MLBTR speculates a Houser trade is possible. Houser could easily be the odd man out and if a trade happens, it could be late in the offseason or even during spring training. Personally, I'm leaning away from the Brewers trading any of their possible starters but it's a definite possibility. With so many to choose from and all of them legit candidates to start MLB games, GM Matt Arnold could decide the team is better by trading a pitcher for another asset at a position of more need.

View full rumor

The Brewers said they were going to improve SP depth in the offseason. Miley was it. Now, they could still move someone if they get an offer they can't refuse--for any of the starters.

4 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

Yeah, I honestly don't see them moving a starter, particularly Houser, because I don't see the return being significant enough to warrant the move.

In some ways, I'd be less surprised to see them move Burnes than Houser.

4 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

Yeah, I honestly don't see them moving a starter, particularly Houser, because I don't see the return being significant enough to warrant the move.

In some ways, I'd be less surprised to see them move Burnes than Houser.

2 hours ago, Robocaller said:

I haven't paid enough attention to the details about any of them, but I'd include Janson Junk, Bryse Wilson, & Tyson Miller as additional SP depth beyond Miley.  Miley may well be the only one who bumps several people down the list, whereas Junk/Wilson/Miller and whomever else probably all slot into the AAA rotation as MLB safety-net guys.

I agree that hanging onto most of that depth is both needed and also the best move as opposed to sending some of that depth off in a trade right now (assuming such a trade isn't of the can't-refuse/blow-us-away variety).

2 hours ago, Robocaller said:

I haven't paid enough attention to the details about any of them, but I'd include Janson Junk, Bryse Wilson, & Tyson Miller as additional SP depth beyond Miley.  Miley may well be the only one who bumps several people down the list, whereas Junk/Wilson/Miller and whomever else probably all slot into the AAA rotation as MLB safety-net guys.

I agree that hanging onto most of that depth is both needed and also the best move as opposed to sending some of that depth off in a trade right now (assuming such a trade isn't of the can't-refuse/blow-us-away variety).

15 hours ago, Robocaller said:

They are depth approximately of the Jason Alexander quality. Some of them might take a jump, but I'd keep them in AAA until they do.

That's essentially what the rest of my post was saying.  Barring a lot of injuries, I'd rather they be pitching in AAA unless they prove pretty clearly that they're worthy of an MLB roster spot (starting with the "cup of coffee" variety, just to be clear).