Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: MLBTR - Is Adrian Houser a Trade Candidate?

With the Brewers looking at seven starting pitchers after the Miley trade, MLBTR speculates a Houser trade is possible. Houser could easily be the odd man out and if a trade happens, it could be late in the offseason or even during spring training. Personally, I'm leaning away from the Brewers trading any of their possible starters but it's a definite possibility. With so many to choose from and all of them legit candidates to start MLB games, GM Matt Arnold could decide the team is better by trading a pitcher for another asset at a position of more need.

View full rumor

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, jakedood said:

Looking at the Twins, Maybe Houser for Nick Gordon?

On paper that's a pretty fair deal IMO but the Twins aren't looking for Houser-leveal talent. They have Gray, Mahle, Maeda, Ryan, and Ober along with several AAA prospects. If the Twins acquire a pitcher, he almost needs to be as good or better than Sonny Gray for it to make an impact.

23 minutes ago, jakedood said:

Looking at the Twins, Maybe Houser for Nick Gordon?

On paper that's a pretty fair deal IMO but the Twins aren't looking for Houser-leveal talent. They have Gray, Mahle, Maeda, Ryan, and Ober along with several AAA prospects. If the Twins acquire a pitcher, he almost needs to be as good or better than Sonny Gray for it to make an impact.

26 minutes ago, nate82 said:

I think with a Houser trade you are looking more at lottery tickets.  I think the Red Sox make some sense here so something like Kavadas, Perales and Rodriguez-Cruz. 

If all they are going to get, though, is lottery tickets, wouldn't it be more prudent just to hang onto him? Even if he isn't in the rotation, he's proven that he can be a solid if not close to dominant reliever. If the team is truly in a contention window, that alone makes Houser is a very useful piece. 

26 minutes ago, nate82 said:

I think with a Houser trade you are looking more at lottery tickets.  I think the Red Sox make some sense here so something like Kavadas, Perales and Rodriguez-Cruz. 

If all they are going to get, though, is lottery tickets, wouldn't it be more prudent just to hang onto him? Even if he isn't in the rotation, he's proven that he can be a solid if not close to dominant reliever. If the team is truly in a contention window, that alone makes Houser is a very useful piece. 

Just now, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I am not saying to trade Houser just that I don't think you are going to get much in terms of value back other than some lottery tickets for him.  I think you get more back by trading Lauer than you do with trading Houser but still that is either a prospect deal or someone like Santander in return. 

Just now, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I am not saying to trade Houser just that I don't think you are going to get much in terms of value back other than some lottery tickets for him.  I think you get more back by trading Lauer than you do with trading Houser but still that is either a prospect deal or someone like Santander in return. 

2 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Agreed. I think Lauer probably brings back a substantially better package given that he's younger than Houser, has had more recent and consistent success, and is a lefty. I guess I just like the idea of Houser working out of the pen better than getting a handful of 18-year-olds for him if that's all that's out there.

2 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Agreed. I think Lauer probably brings back a substantially better package given that he's younger than Houser, has had more recent and consistent success, and is a lefty. I guess I just like the idea of Houser working out of the pen better than getting a handful of 18-year-olds for him if that's all that's out there.

27 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

If the Crew could work out an extension with Houser to keep him in Milwaukee as a key member of the bullpen, maybe 5 years, $17.5 million, it would be a good idea. Otherwise, I'd rather take the lottery tickets for some chance at finding the next Freddy Peralta.

27 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

If the Crew could work out an extension with Houser to keep him in Milwaukee as a key member of the bullpen, maybe 5 years, $17.5 million, it would be a good idea. Otherwise, I'd rather take the lottery tickets for some chance at finding the next Freddy Peralta.

13 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

Not me. Turning a lottery ticket into Freddy is a pretty major aberration, and definitely not the norm in these types of deals. Most of the time these deals for projectable teens amount to nothing. I'd much rather have Houser's solid MLB arm on the roster for the next 3 years during this contention window, than a hope and prayer we, even in a best-case won't see until at least its rebuild time. Contending teams don't deal off pieces that they consider part of their immediate plans for shots in the dark, unless extenuating circumstances come into play.

13 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

Not me. Turning a lottery ticket into Freddy is a pretty major aberration, and definitely not the norm in these types of deals. Most of the time these deals for projectable teens amount to nothing. I'd much rather have Houser's solid MLB arm on the roster for the next 3 years during this contention window, than a hope and prayer we, even in a best-case won't see until at least its rebuild time. Contending teams don't deal off pieces that they consider part of their immediate plans for shots in the dark, unless extenuating circumstances come into play.

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Agree with all of this.

I would certainly entertain the thought of trading him for Santander but my gut feeling is there's very little chance of Baltimore making that deal.

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Agree with all of this.

I would certainly entertain the thought of trading him for Santander but my gut feeling is there's very little chance of Baltimore making that deal.

1 hour ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Agree with all of this.

Why would the Brewers want Santander when they already have Yelich-Mitchell-Taylor-Winker-Frelick-Wiemer-Perkins as OF depth?

Doesn't make sense. Now, Houser for DL Hall, who could be good help in the bullpen, might be an option.

1 hour ago, Jim French Stepstool said:

Agree with all of this.

Why would the Brewers want Santander when they already have Yelich-Mitchell-Taylor-Winker-Frelick-Wiemer-Perkins as OF depth?

Doesn't make sense. Now, Houser for DL Hall, who could be good help in the bullpen, might be an option.