Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Marlins Looking to Trade Pitchers - Should the Brewers Make a Call?

37 minutes ago, wallus said:

Saw a rumor of Pablo Lopez for Max Kepler. Lopez would be a good add to our rotation 

That would be a horrible trade for the Marlins.  I still think Mullins for Lopez is a no brainer but apparently the O's or the Marlins don't think so. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, nate82 said:

That would be a horrible trade for the Marlins.  I still think Mullins for Lopez is a no brainer but apparently the O's or the Marlins don't think so. 

It wasnt just Kepler for Lopez... Sounds like Kepler + Arraez for Lopez... But Twins arent interested in dealing Luis.

18 hours ago, wallus said:

Saw a rumor of Pablo Lopez for Max Kepler. Lopez would be a good add to our rotation 

Who is Milw waiving from the SP rotation? He also lines up with being gone after 2seasons.  The rotation doesn't need adding. Not short term. Beyond 2024 yes but not up to 2024.

Need bats. Not trading bats for short term pitching.  Extensions take two to tango. Not a good sign Miami hasn't extended Lopez already to believe his next team will before Free Agency. They did sign Cueto to a 1+1 deal.  Lopez has real solid numbers yet via that rumor and trade offers he's giving off value of a #3-4 SP vibe vs a solid #2 value. So that's like 15-18mil FA years on extension.  Miami should have done that vs get Cueto. Gotta be Lopez wanted no extension.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, brewcrewdue80 said:

Who is Milw waiving from the SP rotation? He also lines up with being gone after 2seasons.  The rotation doesn't need adding. Not short term. Beyond 2024 yes but not up to 2024.

Need bats. Not trading bats for short term pitching.  Extensions take two to tango. Not a good sign Miami hasn't extended Lopez already to believe his next team will before Free Agency. They did sign Cueto to a 1+1 deal.  Lopez has real solid numbers yet via that rumor and trade offers he's giving off value of a #3-4 SP vibe vs a solid #2 value. So that's like 15-18mil FA years on extension.  Miami should have done that vs get Cueto. Gotta be Lopez wanted no extension.

If the price is Mitchell and you feel like it will make us better, you make the trade and worry about the rest later. 

Apparently the Cardinals are now in preliminary talks with the Marlins for Lopez.  I would think either O'Neill or Gorman would have to be going from the Cardinals and probably Yepez also.  So something like O'Neill/Gorman, Yepez and lower minor league prospect for Lopez. 

I think that makes the most sense for the Marlins and I think they would want Gorman over O'Neill but the power that O'Neill could provide for the Marlins I think is too much for them to pass by and they would go with O'Neill, Yepez and a lottery ticket. 

11 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Apparently the Cardinals are now in preliminary talks with the Marlins for Lopez.  I would think either O'Neill or Gorman would have to be going from the Cardinals and probably Yepez also.  So something like O'Neill/Gorman, Yepez and lower minor league prospect for Lopez. 

I think that makes the most sense for the Marlins and I think they would want Gorman over O'Neill but the power that O'Neill could provide for the Marlins I think is too much for them to pass by and they would go with O'Neill, Yepez and a lottery ticket. 

I'd think that the Marlins would prefer Gorman over O'Neill as O'Neill only has two years of control left, which is the same as Lopez. 

If I were the Marlins, though, I would probably start with Nootbar or Carlson...

8 minutes ago, nate82 said:

I hope this potential trade works out as well for the Cardinals as their last big trade with the Marlins. 

Cards received 4.7 fWAR from Ozuna in that trade and have given up 22 fWAR between Alcantara and Gallen who (who still have combined 5 years of team control from the time they were traded, Alcantara signed a longer contract but only two of those years are from his 6 years of team control)

i think Lopez is good but he’s a lot like Freddy Peralta in that he hasn’t proven to be a workhorse guy. Lopez has topped 150 innings just once in his career.