Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Marlins Looking to Trade Pitchers - Should the Brewers Make a Call?

Marlins are open to trading four of their starting pitchers for outfield help.

The Brewers currently have top 200 OF prospects and only two spots to play them. I'd be open to trading one or two for some controlled pitching. We'd be stacked this year in SP but at the end of the season we could trade woddy and Corbin and still have a solid top three, controlled for five years. We could target a SS or 3B who could be a cornerstone for either of them.

View full rumor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Robocaller said:

we already have 7 starting pitchers. So unless you're talking about combining this with another trade with Woodruff or Burnes, I don't see it.

6 man rotation one goes to the pen. Someone is going to get hurt, then we have depth

we already have 7 starting pitchers. So unless you're talking about combining this with another trade with Woodruff or Burnes, I don't see it.

6 man rotation one goes to the pen. Someone is going to get hurt, then we have depth

We also need to prepare for life after Corbin and Woody, if it eventually comes to that. Marlins have some high-ceiling young pitchers. Obviously, you’re not getting Alcantara, but guys like Cabrera, Rogers, etc. would help this team now and for the future.

We also need to prepare for life after Corbin and Woody, if it eventually comes to that. Marlins have some high-ceiling young pitchers. Obviously, you’re not getting Alcantara, but guys like Cabrera, Rogers, etc. would help this team now and for the future.

The idea would be getting a longer term SP for the post 2024 rotation, and using one of our short term SP to address other parts of the roster.

Mitchell for Cabrera and Houser for Santander would be a potential way to go about it. With the addition of Miley, you could trade both of Lauer and Houser in this scenario.

Current post 2024 rotation.

Peralta, Ashby, Gasser, Junk, and Small

Potential post 2024 rotation

Peralta, Ashby, Cabrera, Gasser, Junk/Small

If you could get Woodruff on a Castillo type extension, that would really help.

The idea would be getting a longer term SP for the post 2024 rotation, and using one of our short term SP to address other parts of the roster.

Mitchell for Cabrera and Houser for Santander would be a potential way to go about it. With the addition of Miley, you could trade both of Lauer and Houser in this scenario.

Current post 2024 rotation.

Peralta, Ashby, Gasser, Junk, and Small

Potential post 2024 rotation

Peralta, Ashby, Cabrera, Gasser, Junk/Small

If you could get Woodruff on a Castillo type extension, that would really help.

I would be down with getting a starter, however my guess is that the Marlins want a lot more then Mitchell for Cabrera. Cabrera was a top 50 prospect and turned in a 3.01 ERA in 14 starts. Mitchell was good last year but my guess is that he barely sneaks into the top 100 on a few lists this offseason. The Marlins wanted a package with 3 solid pieces for Pablo Lopez and Cabrera is more valuable in my opinion. Trevor Rogers for Mitchell seems like more fair deal which I would waffle on and probably pass. I would have said Urias might have made sense however they signed Segura for 3rd. Rowdy to the Fish could make sense, if we signed Mancini or had a secondary trade (Yandy Diaz)

If we were to get a Marlins starter I think trading Lauer would make worlds of sense. 

Say Mitchell, Toro, and Logan Henderson for Cabrera (still a massive steal)

Then trade Lauer to Balt. and for Coby Mayo and Kyle Bradish (long man, stuff would play up in the pen)

Sign a vet OF like Brian Anderson who can play the corners OF, 3B, and maybe even a little 1st or 2nd if need be. I think that wouldn't be to shabby. Still think Cabrera will take a 2nd bigger piece.

I would be down with getting a starter, however my guess is that the Marlins want a lot more then Mitchell for Cabrera. Cabrera was a top 50 prospect and turned in a 3.01 ERA in 14 starts. Mitchell was good last year but my guess is that he barely sneaks into the top 100 on a few lists this offseason. The Marlins wanted a package with 3 solid pieces for Pablo Lopez and Cabrera is more valuable in my opinion. Trevor Rogers for Mitchell seems like more fair deal which I would waffle on and probably pass. I would have said Urias might have made sense however they signed Segura for 3rd. Rowdy to the Fish could make sense, if we signed Mancini or had a secondary trade (Yandy Diaz)

If we were to get a Marlins starter I think trading Lauer would make worlds of sense. 

Say Mitchell, Toro, and Logan Henderson for Cabrera (still a massive steal)

Then trade Lauer to Balt. and for Coby Mayo and Kyle Bradish (long man, stuff would play up in the pen)

Sign a vet OF like Brian Anderson who can play the corners OF, 3B, and maybe even a little 1st or 2nd if need be. I think that wouldn't be to shabby. Still think Cabrera will take a 2nd bigger piece.

1 minute ago, jay87shot said:

I would be down with getting a starter, however my guess is that the Marlins want a lot more then Mitchell for Cabrera. Cabrera was a top 50 prospect and turned in a 3.01 ERA in 14 starts. Mitchell was good last year but my guess is that he barely sneaks into the top 100 on a few lists this offseason.

FWIW, BTV has Cabrera and Mitchell at even value...

1 minute ago, jay87shot said:

I would be down with getting a starter, however my guess is that the Marlins want a lot more then Mitchell for Cabrera. Cabrera was a top 50 prospect and turned in a 3.01 ERA in 14 starts. Mitchell was good last year but my guess is that he barely sneaks into the top 100 on a few lists this offseason.

FWIW, BTV has Cabrera and Mitchell at even value...

27 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

but this would give us 8, not 7 starting pitchers.

Include Houser or Lauer in trade ideas...  or both if we get the right guy(s) back!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

27 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

but this would give us 8, not 7 starting pitchers.

Include Houser or Lauer in trade ideas...  or both if we get the right guy(s) back!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS