Brewer Fanatic

Week 18: Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers - Sunday January 8, 7:20 PM CT on NBC

areacodes

2 minutes ago, valpocrewsader said:

I'll take your word for it, but even still, in this case it didn't cost us any time. 3rd down at the 2 minute warning either way. But accepting the penalty came with the benefit of pushing DET back 10 yards.

So in this case I think it actually would have been a very foolish coaching decision to decline the penalty. 

EDIT: Unless I'm missing something? 

It would have 4th down at the 2 minute warning. Or 1st down game over. Either way we'd have had a shot.

The Quay Walker incident... I get that the rules are the rules, but the officials need to review those incidents on replay like the NBA does before determining who get what fouls.  The Lions trainer/coached pushed him first, and he responded with a push that wasn't very hard - if Walker shoved him with any effort he would have launched him off of his feet.  The Lions should have been the ones assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

2 minutes ago, wOOgiE22 said:

So the question. Does Rodgers retire, get traded, or come back. I would be happy with moving on and giving Love a chance to see if he has anything. 

It really comes down to what Rodgers wants and is willing to do contract wise as to whether he stays or goes. If he doesn't want to go with that contract there's nothing they can do trade wise.

4 minutes ago, wOOgiE22 said:

So the question. Does Rodgers retire, get traded, or come back. I would be happy with moving on and giving Love a chance to see if he has anything. 

He will be back, a lot of us have been fine moving on going back a couple of offseasons now. He has too big if an ego and too big of a contract to retire. Maybe he does us a solid and asks for a trade but I doubt it 

For the first time in twenty years, I don’t feel like we’re a piece or two away, at the most.  They don’t pay me to make these decisions for a good reason, but I’m down for an organizational shift.  I know that having a physical identity does not exactly guarantee anyone a title (Rams and Bengals last year are pretty strong examples of the finesse approach), but I’m ready for a defense and ground/play action approach.  We play outside, and we always will, and we need to stop acting like that doesn’t matter.  If that means we shake up the whole show, then I’m at peace with that.  All eras end.

I know everyone's upset and Rodgers had a poor season. But there's a lot of hyperbolic reactions. 

Not saying that Love is the wrong direction at all. But (put the pitchforks down) I don't think this team is really far away from contention. They've got some talent, especially youngins on the offensive side who just weren't at that level yet. 

That's all to say I'm not gonna carry a torch one way or the other. If Rodgers gives it one more go I don't think he's washed up or useless. It's hard to give mulligans at 39, but there was a LOT going on this season that caused a good deal of turmoil. 

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and I'm open to whatever route we're going. 

3 minutes ago, yourout said:

It really comes down to what Rodgers wants and is willing to do contract wise as to whether he stays or goes. If he doesn't want to go with that contract there's nothing they can do trade wise.

It's a very tradeable contract - but not until after June 1st.  Perhaps the Raiders will be dumb enough to trade two first round picks for him.

3 minutes ago, OldHeidelberg said:

He will be back, a lot of us have been fine moving on going back a couple of offseasons now. He has too big if an ego and too big of a contract to retire. Maybe he does us a solid and asks for a trade but I doubt it 

We have Love for 2 more years guaranteed. It would be nice to see what he has to see if we need to draft another QB.  I’m guessing Rodgers stays as I agree his ego is too big. That contract is going to kill the Packers in the long run. 

1 minute ago, wOOgiE22 said:

We have Love for 2 more years guaranteed. It would be nice to see what he has to see if we need to draft another QB.  I’m guessing Rodgers stays as I agree his ego is too big. That contract is going to kill the Packers in the long run. 

Wish there was a West Coast team desperate enough to take that contract and give us some draft picks

17 minutes ago, young guns said:

If they declined the penalty the 3rd down play is run before the 2 minute warning.

Ah, indeed. If it's correct that the clock is stopped despite declining, then it could've been 4th down at the 2 minute warning. (Or, they convert the 3rd & short to have 1st down at the 2 minute warning -- maybe MLF expected the D to fail to hold.) Probably the wrong move to take the 10 yards. Although, if that hook & ladder play would've been incomplete or even stopped for no/short gain, the 10 yards could've been impactful.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Not going to make an excuse justifying Walker shoving a member of the Lion med staff - his ejection was warranted and now unfortunately he's got an M.O. with this type of altercation to physical contact with non-uniformed people on the field.  But, wouldn't surprise me in the least if we find out after the game that both Walker and Wyatt (who also bumped the same guy after Walker shoved him) were much more concerned about the wellbeing of their former collegiate teammate and didn't realize what they were doing spur of the moment when they were checking on Swift themselves and someone bumped into them.  If that's a random Lion in a jersey it's a nothingburger and not a penalty.  Walker needs to figure out a way to get this after the whistle stuff out of his game and just play football.

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

I know everyone's upset and Rodgers had a poor season. But there's a lot of hyperbolic reactions. 

Not saying that Love is the wrong direction at all. But (put the pitchforks down) I don't think this team is really far away from contention. They've got some talent, especially youngins on the offensive side who just weren't at that level yet. 

That's all to say I'm not gonna carry a torch one way or the other. If Rodgers gives it one more go I don't think he's washed up or useless. It's hard to give mulligans at 39, but there was a LOT going on this season that caused a good deal of turmoil. 

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and I'm open to whatever route we're going. 

Oh I can definitely see running things back (hopefully with Barry replaced) could lead to a fine season. But if they finish top tier, they play their playoff games at home at least for a week or two, and I’ve seen enough of January Rodgers to expect by now that, even when healthy, he probably won’t be at his best in those conditions.  I was starting to convince myself that going on the road all the way this year with a turnover streaking defense could have some magic, but it wasn’t to be.  So, what, next year we’d have to hope to be good but not too good in the regular season so we don’t have a home NFC championship game?  And the rookie wideouts figure it out? And we get two new safeties that aren’t garbage, with one probably a rookie?  And the defense gels almost immediately under a new scheme?  And Gary makes a speedy recovery from ACL surgery?  And Bakh’s knee holds up?  And Rodgers whole body holds up?  It feels like we’re trying to shoot the wings off a fly while riding a racehorse—it seems like a really narrow window.  If someone comes calling with two 1sts+ for Rodgers, I think the answer has to be thanks for the memories.  And I bet there’s somebody in this league that would do that, and I’d imagine Vegas can’t do it fast enough.

3 minutes ago, HarveysWBs said:

Oh I can definitely see running things back (hopefully with Barry replaced) could lead to a fine season. But if they finish top tier, they play their playoff games at home at least for a week or two, and I’ve seen enough of January Rodgers to expect by now that, even when healthy, he probably won’t be at his best in those conditions.  I was starting to convince myself that going on the road all the way this year with a turnover streaking defense could have some magic, but it wasn’t to be.  So, what, next year we’d have to hope to be good but not too good in the regular season so we don’t have a home NFC championship game?  And the rookie wideouts figure it out? And we get two new safeties that aren’t garbage, with one probably a rookie?  And the defense gels almost immediately under a new scheme?  And Gary makes a speedy recovery from ACL surgery?  And Bakh’s knee holds up?  And Rodgers whole body holds up?  It feels like we’re trying to shoot the wings off a fly while riding a racehorse—it seems like a really narrow window.  If someone comes calling with two 1sts+ for Rodgers, I think the answer has to be thanks for the memories.  And I bet there’s somebody in this league that would do that, and I’d imagine Vegas can’t do it fast enough.

I would take 1 first round pick, or maybe just a second.

7 minutes ago, HarveysWBs said:

That could be the one place I could see it happening. And I could actually see that ending up in a super bowl being on a better team along with playing in a dome.

9 minutes ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

Not going to make an excuse justifying Walker shoving a member of the Lion med staff - his ejection was warranted and now unfortunately he's got an M.O. with this type of altercation to physical contact with non-uniformed people on the field.  But, wouldn't surprise me in the least if we find out after the game that both Walker and Wyatt (who also bumped the same guy after Walker shoved him) were much more concerned about the wellbeing of their former collegiate teammate and didn't realize what they were doing spur of the moment when they were checking on Swift themselves and someone bumped into them.  If that's a random Lion in a jersey it's a nothingburger and not a penalty.  Walker needs to figure out a way to get this after the whistle stuff out of his game and just play football.

Typically not necessary to shove a member of the opposing athletic training staff to check on the well-being of one of their athletes.

Too much blame on Rodgers, I think. 

- Aaron Jones fumbles when we're driving and have all the momentum and 12-3 is a gimme and 16-3 is feeling likely. 

- Lazard drops easy first down. 

- Dillon drops super easy first down. 

- Doubs drops perfect pass for first down / big play. 

I believe all three of those drops killed their respective drives. (?) And obviously the fumble did. 

I think Rodgers faced an uphill battle with the performances around him today. 

EDIT: And that's just the offensive side of the equation. ST did very little / nothing to help. Defense with a couple of critical deadball penalties and no takeaways.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

10 minutes ago, valpocrewsader said:

Too much blame on Rodgers, I think. 

- Aaron Jones fumbles when we're driving and have all the momentum and 12-3 is a gimme and 16-3 is feeling likely. 

- Lazard drops easy first down. 

- Dillon drops super easy first down. 

- Doubs drops perfect pass for first down / big play. 

I believe all three of those drops killed their respective drives. (?) And obviously the fumble did. 

I think Rodgers faced an uphill battle with the performances around him today. 

yep, but then Rodgers also played poorly and made some ill-advised throws into coverage...and the Oline got physically manhandled by a defense that has been awful all year for the most part - their two games against the Packers notwithstanding.

chalk it up as a total team loss and it proved them to be underserving of a playoff spot this season.

4 minutes ago, Fear The Chorizo said:

yep, but then Rodgers also played poorly and made some ill-advised throws into coverage...and the Oline got physically manhandled by a defense that has been awful all year for the most part - their two games against the Packers notwithstanding.

chalk it up as a total team loss and it proved them to be underserving of a playoff spot this season.

Very true. There's not a single thing that they did particularly well in this game.

It was kind of that way all year that they had nothing they could rely on from game to game.

54 minutes ago, valpocrewsader said:

I'll take your word for it

Not to worry, I'm certain that if you had asked Head Coach Matt LeFleur the direct question before the game- "would the clock stop until the next snap with 2:10 in the 4th quarter after a penalty or run on the referee's signal," he would have had absolutely no idea. 

I don’t hate that decision by MLF. Watching our defense 3rd and 5 ain’t exactly a great situation. At 2nd and 17 you can at least hope to make that 3rd down really long or even force them into passing and a complete incomplete passes to save time. I think it was the best chance at stopping them, at the time and in retrospect.

But the defense sucked regardless