Brewer Fanatic

Week 18: Detroit Lions @ Green Bay Packers - Sunday January 8, 7:20 PM CT on NBC

areacodes

2 minutes ago, valpocrewsader said:

3rd down with a running clock vs 2nd down with a stopped clock. I don't think it's a 45 second difference. 

It's 40 seconds for a full clock plus the play so yes it is 45. Couldn't stop them anyway because they suck, so no matter. 

Just now, OldHeidelberg said:

We weren't going to beat the Niners, we know that now. Maybe this will put in motion some changes but I doubt it, the Packer org is slow to change.

The signs are all there that they need to be pretty aggressive in the offseason but I doubt it'll happen.

Just now, adambr2 said:

It's 40 seconds for a full clock plus the play so yes it is 45. Couldn't stop them anyway because they suck, so no matter. 

After declining the penalty, the clock would have started with the ref's whistle and the would have run from 2:12 down to the 2 minute warning. Instead, they ran an additional play that was completed at 2:05 and ran down to the 2 minute warning. 

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Just now, valpocrewsader said:

After declining the penalty, the clock would have started with the ref's whistle and the would have run from 2:12 down to the 2 minute warning. Instead, they ran an additional play that was completed at 2:05 and ran down to the 2 minute warning. 

Actually not true. I looked it up cus I thought this too. Clock doesn't start inside of 5 minutes even if the penalty is declined.

It's an inexcusable decision from MLF. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

the lack of discipline is on the head coach  LaFleur has to get a handle on that crap

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just now, valpocrewsader said:

No it would not have. It stays stopped after the penalty as it was within the last 5 minutes of the game.

1 minute ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Last 2 Lions drives 0 stops. Plowed right down Barry's defense. You betcha he's gone. If not I am as a fan lost all faith in GB decision making.

Frankly he should be cleaning out his office tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolSnapper said:

Actually not true. I looked it up cus I thought this too. Clock doesn't start inside of 5 minutes even if the penalty is declined.

It's an inexcusable decision from MLF. 

I'll take your word for it, but even still, in this case it didn't cost us any time. 3rd down at the 2 minute warning either way. But accepting the penalty came with the benefit of pushing DET back 10 yards.

So in this case I think it actually would have been a very foolish coaching decision to decline the penalty. 

EDIT: Unless I'm missing something? 

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

The Lions have won 7 of the last 9 - with one of those losses being a close loss to the Bills - for a reason.  Their young talent is starting to figure it out.  They've had top-10 picks four consecutive years and have drafted ahead of the Packers every  year since 2017.  They should be better.

That, and Joe Barry needs to go.  And Aaron Rodgers is no longer a good cold-weather QB.

Lions played like this was their Super Bowl. Them winning to close out and being done with their season seemed more to them than us winning and facing the 49ers….. as a fan I’m not all that disappointed either. Disappointed, sure, but yeah, this one is not a shocker.

2 minutes ago, valpocrewsader said:

I'll take your word for it, but even still, in this case it didn't cost us any time. 3rd down at the 2 minute warning either way. But accepting the penalty came with the benefit of pushing DET back 10 yards.

So in this case I think it actually would have been a very foolish coaching decision to decline the penalty. 

If they declined the penalty the 3rd down play is run before the 2 minute warning.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."