Brewer Fanatic

Midseason Grades

jlau20

you almost really have to grade on a curve based on the weak NL Central.

off: C+ (yeah, some great hitters on the team, but our lesser hitters have some serious holes that hurt sustained runs, not that I expect everyone to be Fielder)

def: B (only Bill Hall keeps us from an A, but nice to see him improving like we knew he would)

bullpen: A- (some hiccups, of course, but TBow and CoCo have meant a lot more wins for us this year than if we had a different duo. Villy alone might earn the bullpen A)

mgmt: B- (not a huge fan, but hard to argue about a division lead)

over: B+ (we're probably only a couple games behind where a better team would be at this point)

I agree with Crewin06 on all counts.

Anyone who gives this team anything less than an A- for offense needs to go check the overall team stats.

Quote:
Offense - A : When you have the best OPS in the NL and the only NL team in the top 5 in the league, you are a pretty good offensive ball club. Other Notable include #2 in the league in HR's 12 in front of the 3rd place team. 2 all-star position players but really could have up to 5. I don't understand how the offense doesn't get an A.

Defense - B : The Brewers around league average for number of errors. On merit alone they probably don't deserve a B, but considering the mess that this team was supposed to be, the team deserves this grade.

Starting Pitching - B- : I am suprised they werent better. Suppan has struggled, Bush has struggled, Capuano has been injured, Vargas doesn't want to throw on the inside part of the plate. This grade would be lower if not for Sheets who has been a rock. The saving grace is they are healthy and usually get to the 6th inning. I expect the staff to pick it up in the second half.

Relief pitching - A : Villanueva is rediculous, Cordero is amazing, When everyone currently in your bullpen has an ERA under 3.2 except for your setup man, you know they have done the job. Turnbow the Black sheep of the pen has a 3.7 ERA. I think it is time to dump him. .

Manager - A : Everyone has given Yost a tough time but he has done one hell of a job so far. Does not make things to complicated. Sticks to the plan. Gets people days off when needed. The Brewers are currently in first place in the NL and 3 games off the lead for best record overall. I say that is pretty darn good. And the best part of it is the Brewers have played the tough part of their schedule.

Overall - A : They have the best record in the NL and 6.5 games up in the division. An A is the type of Grade these teams get.

Archived