Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Rafael Devers seeking $300m extension - Is an Adames Extension Even a Realistic Possibility?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, patrickgpe said:

he signed for 11/331. I understand that he is a better player than Adames, but I think this sets the market for him at about 10/250. can't see the brewers doing it. 

What a year to be a free agent in baseball. Or negotiating an extension. Wow. 

2 minutes ago, patrickgpe said:

he signed for 11/331. I understand that he is a better player than Adames, but I think this sets the market for him at about 10/250. can't see the brewers doing it. 

What a year to be a free agent in baseball. Or negotiating an extension. Wow. 

5 minutes ago, patrickgpe said:

Holy balls. That's a terrifying number for someone of Devers' ability. He just isn't that good.

5 minutes ago, patrickgpe said:

Holy balls. That's a terrifying number for someone of Devers' ability. He just isn't that good.

1 minute ago, patrickgpe said:

He got more than Correa, Turner, Bogarts, and Swanson. kind of crazy

Not kind of. It feels flat-out dumb to me. He's not even as good as Boegarts and the Red Sox let him walk without even trying that hard.

He is a lot younger than Boegarts, but still. He's just not that good.

Yeah, he's a good player but he's not elite. Other than 2019, he's never even posted a 5+ fWAR season.

Four win players aren't supposed to receive 11-year, $330m contracts. This is insanity.

1 minute ago, patrickgpe said:

He got more than Correa, Turner, Bogarts, and Swanson. kind of crazy

Not kind of. It feels flat-out dumb to me. He's not even as good as Boegarts and the Red Sox let him walk without even trying that hard.

Yeah, he's a good player but he's not elite. Other than 2019, he's never even posted a 5+ fWAR season.

Four win players aren't supposed to receive 11-year, $330m contracts. This is insanity.

4 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Kind of my point, if Devers got 313, the market for adames is way out of wack as well. since he has 2 arby years left, the brewers, just like hader have a decision to make in the next 12 months 

4 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Kind of my point, if Devers got 313, the market for adames is way out of wack as well. since he has 2 arby years left, the brewers, just like hader have a decision to make in the next 12 months 

11 hours ago, monty57 said:

I'm not a fan of signing extensions to players once they're already in their arby years, as it's basically a free agent deal (very little discount) and the Brewers can't build their roster on long-term free agent contracts.

I'm not a fan of signing extensions before they're arbitrary-eligible. Need at least a couple years of performance to evaluate.

I'm not a fan of signing extensions to players once they're already in their arby years, as it's basically a free agent deal (very little discount) and the Brewers can't build their roster on long-term free agent contracts.

I'm not a fan of signing extensions before they're arbitrary-eligible. Need at least a couple years of performance to evaluate.

Burnes' contract will be in the $40-50M annual salary range, so he's out of the discussion.

The current high is $43M on shorter contracts, or Judge's $40M. Unless Corbin is CY again (and is top 3 for the CY in his other pre-FA year), he won't make that much, though an insane bidding war is always possible.

Burnes' contract will be in the $40-50M annual salary range, so he's out of the discussion.

The current high is $43M on shorter contracts, or Judge's $40M. Unless Corbin is CY again (and is top 3 for the CY in his other pre-FA year), he won't make that much, though an insane bidding war is always possible.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, jakedood said:

I think for Adames a better comp is the swanson deal, and probably can pay slightly less than this given Swansons performed slightly ahead of Adames last few years, plus 2 Arby years, may be able to get something in the way of 7/8 for 20 per year AAV

Swanson is a better comp, and honestly, a pretty darn good one.

Comping Wily Adames to Rafael Devers feels like borderline clickbait. Adames is older, farther from FA, and is nowhere near being on the same planet as Devers offensively. Devers has posted a .900+ OPS before and has been an upper .800 OPS bat the last two years. Devers is a proven elite bat, Adames couldn't post a .300 OBP last year and has been very inconsistent over his career. 

Adames simply does not have the track record nor the elite offensive ceiling that commands these big contracts. 

On 1/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, jakedood said:

I think for Adames a better comp is the swanson deal, and probably can pay slightly less than this given Swansons performed slightly ahead of Adames last few years, plus 2 Arby years, may be able to get something in the way of 7/8 for 20 per year AAV

Comping Wily Adames to Rafael Devers feels like borderline clickbait. Adames is older, farther from FA, and is nowhere near being on the same planet as Devers offensively. Devers has posted a .900+ OPS before and has been an upper .800 OPS bat the last two years. Devers is a proven elite bat, Adames couldn't post a .300 OBP last year and has been very inconsistent over his career. 

Adames simply does not have the track record nor the elite offensive ceiling that commands these big contracts. 

1 hour ago, MrTPlush said:

If you mean more than 4 years and more than $30M per year, I agree. If you mean more than $20M per year, I don't.