Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign LHP Alex Claudio to a minor league deal

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think that we need the LHP depth, so definitely don't mind this move. This means that we should have Ethan Small, Robert Gasser, Thomas Pannone, Clayton Andrews and Alex Claudio as lefties in AAA, assuming all goes well, with Adam Seminaris, Brandon Knarr, Luis Amaya and Nick Bennett in AA.

I have to believe that Claudio, Pannone and Small each believe they have a shot at the MLB 26-man active roster as well, since we only have Eric Lauer, Aaron Ashby and Hoby Milner as Major League LHPs at the moment.

• Like 2

Spring bullpen battle should be fun to watch unfold.

Even if one counts all of Williams, Bush, Milner and Strzelecki as locks that still leaves three spots up for grabs.

Dream world I guess I’d go Abner emerges as a viable high leverage option, Small finds his command in more of a Suter long relief role and then gimme Gus Varland for the Rule V story as the the three to break camp.

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

Spring bullpen battle should be fun to watch unfold.

Even if one counts all of Williams, Bush, Milner and Strzelecki as locks that still leaves three spots up for grabs.

Dream world I guess I’d go Abner emerges as a viable high leverage option, Small finds his command in more of a Suter long relief role and then gimme Gus Varland for the Rule V story as the the three to break camp.

Agreed that there are some interesting decisions to be made in rounding out the ‘pen.

Fangraphs’ Roster Resource has Guerra, Cousins and Payamps in those last 3 spots. Of these, only Cousins has options remaining. But would we really throw away $50k (net) on the Varland pick just to give him back to the Dodgers? And who or what did we actually give up for Javy Guerra?

None of Milner, Small, Claudio or Pannone has a 95+ fastball, so it seems possible that Aaron Ashby will end up in the ‘pen eventually.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Probably not a terrible flyer. Seems like he was a Brewer a long time ago, but Claudio will only be 31 at the end of this month. He was serviceable in his two seasons as a Brewer. But with the 3-batter minimum rule, you can't really play matchups as much anymore.

He has pretty extreme platoon splits. Which teams in our division suck vs. lefties (Cardinals don't)?

Another example of throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Sign a half dozen more.

Or, ya know. someone who is really good.

I'm unsure if it was fangraphs or another site, but did see an article on the current difference in Brewers bullpen vs last years, and speed is a large part

Last year Brewers were 28th in avg MPH of their relievers, and averaged 1mph throughout the season. A lot of potential upside in terms of added speed, and we'll see how that plays out, this seems to be a move of seeing if they can get him back to where he once was with them (if so great) but otherwise they'll not really have lost much. Might not be a big name bullpen but there is potential, and I think if Uribe gets a clean start in AAA we'll see him in the 7th/8th inning role before too long as well

13 hours ago, Robocaller said:

He has pretty extreme platoon splits. Which teams in our division suck vs. lefties (Cardinals don't)?

Another example of throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Sign a half dozen more.

Or, ya know. someone who is really good.

It's a minor league deal. Not real sure its worth fretting about. 

• Like 2